Author Topic: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight Howard  (Read 35126 times)

Re: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2016, 01:43:13 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If the idea is Howard for 4 years at $15 million per year, that seems unlikely IMO especially with the cap rise this year and next. 4 years at $20-$25 per year seems more in the ballpark.

« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2016, 01:45:15 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
If this is for Durant then great. I have no interest in shooting for 2nd place in the east.

« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2016, 01:51:54 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Any info on celtics with whiteside

Saw someone tweet stevekylernba about whiteside to the celtics and he wrote back on celtics list, or he je said on whiteside list

« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2016, 01:52:25 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Adam Himmelsbach says:

Regarding Dwight Howard, hearing that right now Celtics have no plans for aggressive pursuit. Will always listen to see if a price is right.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2016, 01:55:47 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Howard sounds good if that hack-a-center rule actually gets applied, how will it even work btw? it's just smh... the fact that guys getting paid millions have to be excused from a portion of the work

but let's look at the risks... he did try to steer the ship in Orlando when they already had a good thing going by trying to get SVG fired. He responds with uninspired play whenever a situation is not perfectly ideal to his standards (see Houston, LA) He's on the wrong side of 30, he won't get better might even regress next season not really putting that 14.5 M or 31 M to real good use, and will decline in value as if that didn't take enough of a hit in Houston and will take even more of a hit with a max contract for 4 years. 

So we may have a guy under contract with so many red flags that thinks he's LeBron James and does nothing to extend our championship window and is essentially unmovable. We might move up in seeding though so there's that...

« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2016, 01:58:35 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/748212250171875328

Regarding Dwight Howard, hearing that right now Celtics have no plans for aggressive pursuit. Will always listen to see if a price is right.

I would guess they want a short term deal and he does not.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2016, 01:58:52 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Adam Himmelsbach ‏@AdamHimmelsbach 7m7 minutes ago

« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2016, 02:01:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Adam Himmelsbach ‏@AdamHimmelsbach 7m7 minutes ago

Yeah, this seems about right. They'll probably make a stronger pursuit if they miss out on Durant and/or Horford, though.

« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2016, 02:09:34 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I wonder what Howard's priorities are. He exercised his option, but that may not necessarily mean that his first priority is maximizing dollars. Maybe he's hearing the clock tick and values winning and fun and camaraderie more than just money. He's made enough already to fund 100+ lifetimes. Imagine if he settled for an annual figure in the 15-20 range just to play for this franchise alongside Durant. What could that scenario enable Ainge to do, flexibility-wise? Durant and Horford too then becomes an actual thing that could conceivably happen, or no?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I wonder what Howard's priorities are. He exercised his option, but that may not necessarily mean that his first priority is maximizing dollars. Maybe he's hearing the clock tick and values winning and fun and camaraderie more than just money. He's made enough already to fund 100+ lifetimes. Imagine if he settled for an annual figure in the 15-20 range just to play for this franchise alongside Durant. What could that scenario enable Ainge to do, flexibility-wise? Durant and Horford too then becomes an actual thing that could conceivably happen, or no?

Nevermind. Sigh. Bleacher Report article kills the idea.

Howard believes he should be a primary scoring option—and that he should be paid like one, with a max salary. His former agent, Dan Fegan, made that clear to teams in February, when the Rockets explored potential trades. The salary demands scared off potential suitors. It is believed that Howard's new agent, Perry Rogers, is also pushing for a massive, multiyear deal.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2016, 02:38:10 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
I am fine overpaying howard as

We have a bunch of cheap talent one way to leverage that is to overpay/take risks in free agency

Secondly new cba is due in next couple of years and most likely will have an amnesty provosion, so if the contract is horrid we can just wipe it off the books in a couple of years anyway

Thirdly the cap is set to go up beyond this year, even if they sign him to a four year max and there is near no amensty provosion, in his last year he would be payed the equivalent of about a 23 million dollar contract in the past years cap i esimate
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:43:14 PM by goCeltics »

« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2016, 06:20:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A lead scoring option Howard is not.

At the same time, he's not wrong to push for more than the 8 attempts per game he got last year on the Rockets.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2016, 06:39:43 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Nevermind. Sigh. Bleacher Report article kills the idea.

Howard believes he should be a primary scoring option—and that he should be paid like one, with a max salary. His former agent, Dan Fegan, made that clear to teams in February, when the Rockets explored potential trades. The salary demands scared off potential suitors. It is believed that Howard's new agent, Perry Rogers, is also pushing for a massive, multiyear deal.

Sullinger averaged 10 shots a game last season.  Howard averaged 8 shots a game last season and 10, 11 and 10 the three seasons before that.  There's no reason he shouldn't get 13 to 15 shots a game, especially if he's in Boston's line up.

He's a double-double machine who's played over 70 games four out of the last six years.  Of all the people who will get max deals this offseason, Howard is the last one to be worried about.

Mike

« Reply #163 on: June 29, 2016, 06:48:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
IT - Bradley - Crowder - Parsons - Howard

With a bench of: Rozier, Smart, Brown, Jerebko, Olynyk, Amir, Hunter

Does that team compete for the East next year, assuming everybody's good to go in the playoffs?

Maybe it doesn't matter, if you're getting Parsons and Howard on short term deals.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #164 on: June 29, 2016, 07:21:16 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji