Author Topic: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight Howard  (Read 35123 times)

Re: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2016, 11:36:58 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Nylon Calculus says he'll get 14.5 million x 5 years.

if we could get 3-4 good years out of him that would be an absolute bargain IMO.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2016/06/29/a-model-for-nba-free-agent-earnings/

Yeah right lol He's not getting south of $20M per year. He just opted out of a $23M contract in Houston. I doubt he's going to take $8M less a year.

« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2016, 11:38:13 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

if we could get 3-4 good years out of him that would be an absolute bargain IMO.

Yeah right lol He's not getting south of $20M per year. He just opted out of a $23M contract in Houston. I doubt he's going to take $8M less a year.

Nah i'd say he opted out because he wants a longer term deal.
Rather than take the 20 million he wants the security of something like 15 million x 4 or 5 years. He'd rather 60 million in pocket if he does his back again than risk the season of a serious injury.
At age 30 he's not getting a 4 x 20 million deal. Just too old at this point.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2016, 11:52:25 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'd rather have Dwight than Horford. Fulfills a bigger need for us in rebounding, defending the paint.  Poor foul shooting my only hesitation. Maybe we can hire McHale as our bigs coach, he got along with Dwight.

« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2016, 11:57:26 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Rather than take the 20 million he wants the security of something like 15 million x 4 or 5 years. He'd rather 60 million in pocket if he does his back again than risk the season of a serious injury.
chambers, thanks for the chart. it was really informative. i agree, i dont think anyone pays howard the max. as you say, 4 years at $15m-ish, yeah, sign him. even $20m given the salary cap increases.

but howard's days of being a max player are over.

however, there is no cap on the number of tps we can receive over time, so one more to you for the chart you posted.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2016, 12:08:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Forget where I read/heard this, but sometime around the trade deadline I heard Boston had interest in Dwight and that Ainge's opinion changed after speaking with former Rockets coach/Danny's BFF Kevin McHale who apparently liked coaching Dwight and had pretty positive things to say about Dwight's work ethic and impact.

He was the only guy trying on the defensive end last season and he allegedly tried to save McHale's job. I think the narrative on D12 is so set in stone, he'll never really be able to shake that coach killer moniker. But I do think he has matured significantly and can be a huge piece here. The cost is the question mark.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

chambers, thanks for the chart. it was really informative. i agree, i dont think anyone pays howard the max. as you say, 4 years at $15m-ish, yeah, sign him. even $20m given the salary cap increases.

but howard's days of being a max player are over.

however, there is no cap on the number of tps we can receive over time, so one more to you for the chart you posted.  ;D

I think you guys are underestimating what the new cap is going to do to contracts this offseason. I agree that Howard is not worth the max contract, but his max contract is nearly worth $31M per year due to his amount of time in the league.

He's going to get offers of at least $20M for three to four years. I find it highly unlikely that he's going to accept and only get deals around $15M per. There's way too much money to be used this summer for that.

EDIT: If he would accept a $60M/4 year deal, then you sign him the instant you can! lol This is especially true with the Hack-a-Dwight rules supposedly changing.

« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2016, 12:20:18 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Forget where I read/heard this, but sometime around the trade deadline I heard Boston had interest in Dwight and that Ainge's opinion changed after speaking with former Rockets coach/Danny's BFF Kevin McHale who apparently liked coaching Dwight and had pretty positive things to say about Dwight's work ethic and impact.

He was the only guy trying on the defensive end last season and he allegedly tried to save McHale's job. I think the narrative on D12 is so set in stone, he'll never really be able to shake that coach killer moniker. But I do think he has matured significantly and can be a huge piece here. The cost is the question mark.

I always thought he got a bad rap in Orlando.  He was indecisive about whether or not he wanted to stay in Orlando long term.  Big deal.  He told the front office that he wasn't happy with the coach when discussing his future with the team.  That's not good, but I doubt it's rare.  That info should never have left the front office, but they went ahead and told the coach and then it became public in a very embarrassing way for him.  That's on the front office not Dwight, but he ended up getting grilled for it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 12:40:13 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

I always thought he got a bad rap in Orlando.  He was indecisive about whether or not he wanted to stay in Orlando long term.  Big deal.  He told the front office that he wasn't happy with the coach when discussing his future with the team.  That's not good, but I doubt it's rare.  That should info should never have left the front office, but they went ahead and told the coach and then it became public in a very embarrassing way for him.  That's on the front office not Dwight, but he ended up getting grilled for it.

And outside Orlando, look at the two teams that he's had issues with - a Bryant-led Lakers team and a Harden-led Rockets team. If I was a potential Hall-of-Fame big man who watched contested iso shot after contested iso shot go up while I was sitting underneath the basket all alone, I'd be pretty unhappy with my situation, too.

I actually think we're the perfect environment for someone like Howard - filled with high-character, non-ball-dominant players in a system that focuses on defense, along with having three to four great to elite defenders at individual positions.

« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2016, 12:26:02 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Dwight is a great Plan B who instantly makes us Cleveland's top rival in the East. It's exciting to see us get meetings with arguably the top three free agents (Durant, Howard and Horford). Hopefully we'll score.

Can we start to put to bed the notion that the Celtics aren't a FA destination? It's amazing what happens when:

1. You actually have the cap space to sign someone (this was the prerequisite that we haven't had before).
2. You have a young, promising team who actually enjoy playing together.
3. You have one of the best coaches in the league that players want to play for.
4. You have future valuable assets so players know the team can continue to improve.

Now we may not sign any of them. But players are interested and they always will be when the situation is right.

We paid Amir, Sully, and Lee almost $30 million combined last year. I'd much rather upgrade and spend that money on Dwight and give Mickey some minutes on the floor.

Getting Howard is pretty much a no-brainer.  Remember how good the team could look when Amir was playing well but how inconsistent he could be?  Dwight would give us good Amir and more every night.  Even a four year max deal shouldn't scare us off.  The only question is what to do if you give Dwight the max and don't sign Durant.  Do you try and maintain a max cap slot for next offseason or do you sign another player or two now and rely on the draft and trades in the future?

Mike

I don't really mind giving Dwight $30m or so for the next 2 years. I think he'd be good in our system, instantly makes this team a ECF contender and provides the launching point to attract another name FA to push us over the top. I don't even mind a 1+1 with a player option for 2017.

At the same time I do not want to sign him to a 4 year deal at $30/m per year. That's a recipe for disaster and a contract like that could be an albatross at exactly the wrong time for this team. Howard on a long term deal is likely to be on a "top 10 worst contracts in the NBA" list in two years. Unlike a guy like Duncan or KG who refined their technique, Howard's game is based purely on his physical abilities and once they go, he'll be ineffective.

I'd easily pay Howard a $100M / 4 yr contract. We aren't talking Celtic-age Shaq; Howard is still on the back end of his prime and is a monster compared to Horford. His biggest complaint last year was that his teammates didn't play enough defense - problem solved in Boston. We also don't have any selfish players and he would likely thrive under Stevens. The culture in Boston would be excellent for Howard.

These posts along with crimson's have got me pumped about Howard and psyched about the Celtics apparently being the #1 player in free agency. I would much prefer a short and/or non-max contract, but I'd be happy having Dwight either way. I'm pumped and I'm psyched and I'm jacked for this summer.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2016, 12:26:07 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Ok, I bite, Howard will look good in our team, but at the $31 million he wants? Seriously, I can't stand the nerve of this man as if he didn't just leave teams on bad terms EVERY SINGLE FRICKIN TIME...

« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2016, 12:27:55 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Not going to read the whole thread, but a Howard/Love/Durant front court sounds REALLY impressive to me.

« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2016, 12:30:39 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Ok, I bite, Howard will look good in our team, but at the $31 million he wants? Seriously, I can't stand the nerve of this man as if he didn't just leave teams on bad terms EVERY SINGLE FRICKIN TIME...

I'm not sure that he gets the full $31M max after his time at Houston, especially for any number of years.

« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2016, 12:33:50 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I'm not sure that he gets the full $31M max after his time at Houston, especially for any number of years.

same, I think with Cousins, Drummonds, and Jordan improving every year, I don't think anybody really sees him as the top center anymore, though I still have him as a top player in the league, I don't think he will command the type of max salary he used to when he was in ORL and LA. Him being in Houston really deflated his value in my honest opinion. Perhaps someone out there will overpay him

« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2016, 12:39:28 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Interesting couple of tweets I just saw:

https://twitter.com/WalderSports/status/748190089281310721?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

"Bovada favors the Boston Celtics to sign Dwight Howard this summer."

https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/748191084233142272?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

"And from http://sportsbettingdime.com , Chandler Parsons' signing odds: Celtics 4/1, Wizards 9/2, Magic 19/4, Bulls 11/2, Mavs 18/1, field 19/6."

« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2016, 12:42:49 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
If we sign Howard and Parsons... we will be in the ECF.