Author Topic: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight Howard  (Read 35019 times)

Re: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2016, 08:30:23 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
we have a good chance at getting him..back in the east, Our guards have never played with a big man of his level. He will be probably the biggest name on our team. he will get touches, we play defense out here. Coach Stevens enough said.

Good points. He will do wonders for our guards defensively.  And like you said, he'll get his share of touches in our offense.  A happy Dwight is a very good player.  And if he gets moody, our locker room should be strong enough to handle it.

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2016, 08:30:43 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
We paid Amir, Sully, and Lee almost $30 million combined last year. I'd much rather upgrade and spend that money on Dwight and give Mickey some minutes on the floor.

That's a nice argument too.

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2016, 08:35:48 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Despite all the hype and hoopla, Dwight is probably the only "star" that will actually change teams this off-season. Both Horford and Durant want to compete for Championships and are on teams that reached to their respective conference finals. This is the year I feel we actually give our young players some burn to see who rises and who falls.

A successful offseason in my opinion, is to pick up the options on JJ and Amir. Release Zeller, Sully, ET and Holland. Sign FAs Howard and Ryan Anderson.

I don't want to move on from ET, but we need minutes for our young core to flourish or flop... either way we'll know and be able to move on.

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2016, 08:40:24 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Getting Howard is pretty much a no-brainer.  Remember how good the team could look when Amir was playing well but how inconsistent he could be?  Dwight would give us good Amir and more every night.  Even a four year max deal shouldn't scare us off.  The only question is what to do if you give Dwight the max and don't sign Durant.  Do you try and maintain a max cap slot for next offseason or do you sign another player or two now and rely on the draft and trades in the future?

Mike

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2016, 08:41:14 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Despite all the hype and hoopla, Dwight is probably the only "star" that will actually change teams this off-season. Both Horford and Durant want to compete for Championships and are on teams that reached to their respective conference finals. This is the year I feel we actually give our young players some burn to see who rises and who falls.

A successful offseason in my opinion, is to pick up the options on JJ and Amir. Release Zeller, Sully, ET and Holland. Sign FAs Howard and Ryan Anderson.

I don't want to move on from ET, but we need minutes for our young core to flourish or flop... either way we'll know and be able to move on.

TP
That's pretty much the best plan B to me.

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2016, 08:50:48 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I don't really mind giving Dwight $30m or so for the next 2 years. I think he'd be good in our system, instantly makes this team a ECF contender and provides the launching point to attract another name FA to push us over the top. I don't even mind a 1+1 with a player option for 2017.

At the same time I do not want to sign him to a 4 year deal at $30/m per year. That's a recipe for disaster and a contract like that could be an albatross at exactly the wrong time for this team. Howard on a long term deal is likely to be on a "top 10 worst contracts in the NBA" list in two years. Unlike a guy like Duncan or KG who refined their technique, Howard's game is based purely on his physical abilities and once they go, he'll be ineffective.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2016, 08:51:03 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

TP

I agree.  Does anyone remember this?  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz9GdhshT-0

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2016, 08:54:46 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
My only concern about Howard is his durability--he's got a lot of mileage on his back and legs. But he certainly is capable of plugging the hole in the middle. That would make life easier for the backcourt. Moneywise, all of these FAs are going to max out. It's a moot point. Howard or Horford is almost a must sign for Ainge--assuming Noel/Okafor are out of the picture. He knows he has to retool up front if he wants to get to 55 wins. If he's successful, you won't see some of those incumbents up front coming back. They aren't good enough to improve this team.

If Ainge has any chance at all of signing Durant, he has to make a compelling story for him. That means he needs another major player to put the Celtics in a situation where Durant could make them serious contenders. They aren't there yet.

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2016, 09:08:33 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Nah dude, nope, negative... keep Dwight out of my Celtics. I don't like this guy at all, not professional and I think Kobe pretty much exposed him for having no heart.

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2016, 09:10:17 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Man i really hope we get him if everything else fails.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2016, 09:16:23 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62

Nah dude, nope, negative... keep Dwight out of my Celtics. I don't like this guy at all, not professional and I think Kobe pretty much exposed him for having no heart.

The only thing Kobe exposed is that he couldn't work with Kobe... and no offense to Mamba there were a lot of stars that wouldn't touch the Lakers with a 10ft pole until he left. The only situation that is arguably worst than LA is the Rockets with Harden... and Dwight went to both... if anything he needs a new agent.

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2016, 09:23:23 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

TP

I agree.  Does anyone remember this?  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz9GdhshT-0

same, I LOVE ET, and I think he fits our 2nd unit extremely well and knows our system. But we need to make minutes for Brown. I say we take a step back just to go forward 2-3 steps. I don't know if Brown can contribute right away but the hope is he can.

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2016, 09:29:05 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'd easily pay Howard a $100M / 4 yr contract. We aren't talking Celtic-age Shaq; Howard is still on the back end of his prime and is a monster compared to Horford. His biggest complaint last year was that his teammates didn't play enough defense - problem solved in Boston. We also don't have any selfish players and he would likely thrive under Stevens. The culture in Boston would be excellent for Howard.

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2016, 09:29:32 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I wonder if Danny had an inkling that the Cs had a good shot at Dwight before the draft. Maybe that's why he drove such a hard deal on Noel, knowing that he had a good shot at Howard who would fill the same role? Of course that doesn't mean anything if he doesn't sign here but Danny doesn't typically make moves in isolation (witness the Ray Allen signing to get KG to waive his trade clause).

If all of this does come about (and that's a BIG if) will the Danny naysayers eat crow yet again?
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2016, 09:33:50 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
WHAT HAPPENED??? Is Rivers coming back to coach the Celtics? Is he coming back to run the front office? I was sure people here said that he was the only reason FAs looked at the Celtics.

I guess we can move on from that myth.