Author Topic: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight Howard  (Read 35130 times)

Re: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2016, 06:47:31 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I still like Dwight, and if his market is as limited as it seems, I'd love to bring him in for 2-3 years at around $15-20 million per year.

i don't get where this notion is coming from that Howard is gonna be had at a bargain price.  People are talking about giving Joakim Noah the max, a guy who averaged 4pts and 8rebs last year and is coming off shoulder surgery.  Howard is gonna get a max deal.
Greg

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2016, 06:58:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
17,5 points. 12.5 rebounds. 2 blocks. Great defense besides the blocks. High shooting percentage.

Huge upgrade over Sullinger.  People will say he can't spread the floor but to be honest, neither did Jared, because he shot such a horrible percentage teams just let him take it.

Could he be on the "list"

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2016, 07:14:48 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Thanks for coming in, Dwight. Did you bring those medical records with you?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2016, 07:30:15 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I have always thought Howard was a clown.  He probably is still to some degree but he is also still quite a bit more mature these days.  A lot would depend on the interviews to understand his state of mind but I am not opposed to him at this point.

I think he would be a good fit on our team.  He provides exactly what we need in terms of skill set.  Not everything we need (he is not a go-to scorer) but interior defense, rebounding, post presence, all would be very useful. 

I prefer him at the max to Horford at the max.  Horford may be a more efficient mid-range shooter (although declining rapidly it seems) but Howard is better at everything else and I think the everything else is more important.

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2016, 07:30:15 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I still like Dwight, and if his market is as limited as it seems, I'd love to bring him in for 2-3 years at around $15-20 million per year.

i don't get where this notion is coming from that Howard is gonna be had at a bargain price.  People are talking about giving Joakim Noah the max, a guy who averaged 4pts and 8rebs last year and is coming off shoulder surgery.  Howard is gonna get a max deal.

If we have the room and strike out elsewhere I'd be ok giving him the max but only for a year (or 1+1). I suspect that could be the sticking point for him, he will want a longer contract. At this point his injury risk is growing and holding out for a higher cap is risky.

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2016, 07:34:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
He'd help but I'm guessing he'll be cost prohibitive.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2016, 07:37:38 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Can we start to put to bed the notion that the Celtics aren't a FA destination? It's amazing what happens when:

1. You actually have the cap space to sign someone (this was the prerequisite that we haven't had before).
2. You have a young, promising team who actually enjoy playing together.
3. You have one of the best coaches in the league that players want to play for.
4. You have future valuable assets so players know the team can continue to improve.

Now we may not sign any of them. But players are interested and they always will be when the situation is right.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2016, 07:39:04 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Barf, times two.

We pass on a 19-year-old center who scores at the same rate for a broken-down clown who's going to cost the max?

Insane.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2016, 07:40:06 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Can we start to put to bed the notion that the Celtics aren't a FA destination? It's amazing what happens when:

1. You actually have the cap space to sign someone (this was the prerequisite that we haven't had before).
2. You have a young, promising team who actually enjoy playing together.
3. You have one of the best coaches in the league that players want to play for.
4. You have future valuable assets so players know the team can continue to improve.

Now we may not sign any of them. But players are interested and they always will be when the situation is right.

Very true.  It'd be nice to get one of these guys to bite & sign to totally kill that stupidity.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2016, 07:44:02 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
On paper, he fits one of the C's needs. He's a down low presence defensively and can rebound. BUT, he comes with serious baggage, an injury history, and a legit loser mentality. I'd agree only if we know we can't get Durant and he signs in essence a one year deal with a team option.

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2016, 07:50:53 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Barf, times two.

We pass on a 19-year-old center who scores at the same rate for a broken-down clown who's going to cost the max?

Insane.

As many people have shown in this thread, Dwight's decline in stats have been more from a decline in minutes and shots than due to health.

I'm not advocating Dwight, but he is alot better player than okafor. Ignoring Okafor's real defensive struggles (arguably the worst in the league) is just ignoring half of the game of basketball.

Also people call Dwight a clown who holds teams hostage, but heven genuinely seems a little better the last few years. And he has never even been acused of off the court drama. (Well if you count advocating for cancer survivors then.....) But okafor had 3 incidents in his only year in the league.
#JKJB

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2016, 07:58:48 AM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Barf, times two.

Insane.

lol at this ridiculous post.

Way to bury the lede. Said 19 year old center would have cost the highest pick we have had a franchise in decades. While acquiring the other costs nothing but money. As if the two are the same thing.

smdh

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2016, 08:17:05 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
If we don't get in on Durant/Horford (I don't expect to) I could be interested in a 1+1 deal for him considering our space.  Why not use the space?  I'm not sure about his interest in that.

I think we can manage him.  He seems more mature and we have so many other strong personalities on the team.  Him taking Sully's minutes basically would be interesting.  Howard and Olynyk would be an interesting combination.  And in situations where his FT shooting can kill you we can afford to take him off the floor.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2016, 08:22:08 AM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
we have a good chance at getting him..back in the east, Our guards have never played with a big man of his level. He will be probably the biggest name on our team. he will get touches, we play defense out here. Coach Stevens enough said.

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2016, 08:23:45 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
We paid Amir, Sully, and Lee almost $30 million combined last year. I'd much rather upgrade and spend that money on Dwight and give Mickey some minutes on the floor.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird