Author Topic: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight Howard  (Read 35052 times)

Re: Celtics Have a Meeting with Dwight
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 02:52:02 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
His demise has been greatly exaggerated.

It's true. His efficiency is through the roof and he is still a defensive anchor. He has been tragically misused since leaving Orlando.

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 02:54:19 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

It's true. His efficiency is through the roof and he is still a defensive anchor. He has been tragically misused since leaving Orlando.

Truly perfect fit here. Low risk IMO, because I truly believe Ainge and Stevens won't lose this locker room. First class organization.

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 02:57:08 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Barf.

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 03:01:08 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Do you think he will consider a 1+1 ?
It doesn't feel that way considering his age and health. Very risky for him to not lock a 4 years contract now.

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 04:12:10 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
17,5 points. 12.5 rebounds. 2 blocks. Great defense besides the blocks. High shooting percentage.

Doesn't that sound like the 2-way center we've all been asking for, for many years??

I would definitely like to see this happening. I think Dwight would love it here and could enjoy playing again.

I do think it would only happen if Durant won't come, because of the stories of Durant not being a Howard fan.

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 04:18:25 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Yep.

It's also a huge misconception that he had a bad season last year.  He is still scoring (on a per-attempt basis) and rebounding (on a per minute basis) as well as he ever has.  His box score numbers just look far less impressive then they have in the past because his minutes and shot attempts have been reduced so much, to the point where it's just not possible for him to produce the type of numbers he has in the past. 

Houston's misuse of Dwight's talent has been tragic and downright embarrassing.  Ironically,  actually applaud Dwight for the way he's handled things in Houston.  It can't be easy for a former superstar (and top 5 player) like Dwight to be pushed aside into an almost "role player" type of role the way Dwight has been in Houston...yet aside from the odd small comment here and there he's mostly handled that situation with a great deal of decorum. 

Most big name stars would probably be screaming out and demanding trades in his position, but he's just kinda kept his mouth shut and done his part, and I respect that.  Especially when you consider the fact that Dwight is clearly a very emotionally driven guy, and one who tends to wear his emotions on his sleeve.  It can't have been easy keeping quiet and accepting your 8 shot attempts per game with a smile, while your little bearded buddy chucks up 25 inefficient shots a night.     

Right now, there might not be a single other player available in free agency who would make me happier then Dwight Howard.  If you were to draw up a list of all the things this team needs, Dwight Howard on his own probably covers 80% of the items on that list.  In fact he pretty much covers every one of our needs except for outside shooting.

I'm just tired of watching this Celtics team get killed inside on a yearly basis.  I'm tired of having to watch a lazy, overweight bum throwing up stupid shots on the court every night purely because he's the only guy on the roster who the physicality needed to battle in the paint on defense and on the boards. 

Having an Al Horford standing around at the three point line is not going to help us with that stuff - we need a Dwight Howard. 

The way I see it, if we add Howard (and nobody else) to our current roster, we are immediate contenders in the East. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:24:34 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 04:25:42 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 04:32:19 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
TP for Crimson, well summarized.

I have been a Howard hater during his diva time.
I don't forgive and forget easily, but since his last 2 seasons, Dwight managed to change my mind about him. I actually like him now. That says a lot about how is doing all the right things recently.
I'm sure he would be a perfect fit in Boston.
I'm just concern about his health and the lenght of his contract. Doubtfull he will agree to 1+1, when he could get a 4 years in Atlanta or other places.

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 04:33:05 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
Would certainly be an upgrade over amir/sully and we could easily pair Olynyk or a small ball 4 with him.

if we get him for around 15-18 mil. a year I would do it.

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 05:19:38 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Sold on a shorter term deal to feel it out.

What kind of front court mate pairs best with him? A Kelly type?

Wondering about an Al Jefferson as a depth play to get inside scoring of the bench.

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2016, 05:23:29 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
TP for Crimson, well summarized.

I have been a Howard hater during his diva time.
I don't forgive and forget easily, but since his last 2 seasons, Dwight managed to change my mind about him. I actually like him now. That says a lot about how is doing all the right things recently.
I'm sure he would be a perfect fit in Boston.
I'm just concern about his health and the lenght of his contract. Doubtfull he will agree to 1+1, when he could get a 4 years in Atlanta or other places.

That is pretty much the gamble of it - Dwight's health/age balanced against the cost/length of the contract.

To be honest the age doesn't really bother me so much, only because Dwight (with his length and imposing physique) should, health permitting, remain a very effective player in this league for years to come. 

If we look at KG for example (a long, athletic, defensive minded big man) he was still a very effective and productive player even in his final year as a Celtic.  Sure he could no longer carry the team on a nightly basis offensively, but he he was still a dominant force on defense and on the boards for us right up until the day he got traded at the age of 37 or so...and he was still making BIG money at that time (relative to the cap), but most of us were still more then happy to have him around.   

Dwight has similar length and athleticism to KG, and he has always been at least on part with KG as a defender and as a rebounder.  Worst case scenario, if his offensive game fades out lmost entirely towards the end of the contract, you're pretty much still left with Omer Asik as a consolation prize - a big, physical guy who will dominate the boards and impact the game defensively.  There really isn't that much to lose...assuming he stays relatively healthy.

Health is the big red flag with Dwight. 

I did see an interview with Dwight recently with Charles Barkley and crew, and to be honestly he sounded surprisingly genuine and mature in that interview.  They did bring up questions about his future with the Rockets, and also asked him questions about the injury.  Dwight said there is no injury - that he had a back problem, he had surgery, the problem was fixed, and now he feels as good as ever.  Whether that is true or he's just lying for his own benefit - who knows.

But here is one question for everybody out there - how unhealthy has Dwight really been, and are his health problems overblown?

Dwight has played 12 seasons in the league, which (if you factor in the 66 game lockout in 11/12) equates to a total of 968 possible games he could have played if he didn't miss a single game.  He's played 880 out of those possible 968 games - thats a 91% attendance rate at a career average of 35 minutes per game.

That's actually a VERY impressive health record to be honest.

Even if you ignore his early career and focus your attention entirely on the past four seasons (from the time he joined the Lakers onwards) he's still played in 259 out of a possible 328 games - a total of 79% of all possible games.  Considering this has been the most injury riddled stretch of his entire career, that's actually not that bad.

Over those past four seasons Dwight has averaged 16.2 Points, 11.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.8 blocks and 0.9 steals to go with 60% FG in 32.8 minutes a night.  Not bad for an 'ageing', 'declining', and 'injury riddled' big man who has spent the past three years on a team that actively avoids including him in their offense.

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2016, 05:25:31 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Would certainly be an upgrade over amir/sully and we could easily pair Olynyk or a small ball 4 with him.

if we get him for around 15-18 mil. a year I would do it.

He doesn't sign for the '96 Bulls for less than 20million..

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2016, 05:30:47 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
Yes, I was refearing his age as a health flag.
KG had more and more problem with knees and ankles with age.
Howard is about the same if we consider his tiny legs a weakness.
Anyway, I'll be excited if he played the Amir role in Boston in a controlled minutes season.
Clearly an upgrade on both ends.

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2016, 06:19:04 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Forget where I read/heard this, but sometime around the trade deadline I heard Boston had interest in Dwight and that Ainge's opinion changed after speaking with former Rockets coach/Danny's BFF Kevin McHale who apparently liked coaching Dwight and had pretty positive things to say about Dwight's work ethic and impact. 

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 06:46:21 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Forget where I read/heard this, but sometime around the trade deadline I heard Boston had interest in Dwight and that Ainge's opinion changed after speaking with former Rockets coach/Danny's BFF Kevin McHale who apparently liked coaching Dwight and had pretty positive things to say about Dwight's work ethic and impact.

My personal gut feeling is to stay away from Howard but as you point out DA has perhaps the best source on Dwight in McHale. If DA signs Howard it will certainly be with Kevins blessing and I will have faith that this is the right desitions.

Where things get interesting will be the contract. I heard on a recent SI podcast that the Blazers are believed to be preparing a 1 year Max deal for Howard. For the Cs his contract comes down to the plan for the next two season. A sit down meeting with Durant may not only be a meeting for this off season but next year as well. If Durant signs the likely 1+1 with OKC he like lebron will be a FA again next season. Currently the Cs have two max FA spots, I think its resonable to invision them signing Howard and leaving roster flexibility so as to have a max spot next season still open. If Howard plays well, Smart improves and this the Cs to a playoff series victory the Cs could again approach Durant. They would also be armed with a likely top 5 Nets pick in a likely very strong draft. This pick could become the ammunition needed to go after another Star.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet