Author Topic: Horford Might Be the Most Boring Player in the NBA, So...  (Read 4518 times)

Re: Horford Might Be the Most Boring Player in the NBA, So...
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 10:44:37 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Quick question here... are we sure that Durant is high on playing with Horford? I mean, is there a solid source that mentions they want to play together?

All I've seen at this point are pure conjectures.

Zach Lowe stated that Horford was on Durant's short list of players he wanted to play with a few months back.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 10:44:54 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Horford is an example of one of the centers in the NBA that would work in the system DA and Stevens want to play.

We need a center that fits that style. We need a center that can stretch the floor on offense, and pass, and defend and rebound on D.

While he may not be the best center in the league to fit the style, he is one of the few that is a free agent.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 10:46:27 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Quick question here... are we sure that Durant is high on playing with Horford? I mean, is there a solid source that mentions they want to play together?

afaik no. We all know who Durant's favourite player is and he is in OKC. Horford too is reported to want to stay in ATL btw.

Personally, I find these Durant + Butler, Durant + Horford etc scenarios a far stretch, esp. given that Durant will most likely re-sign in OKC.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 10:48:10 PM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
Before the trade deadline Lowe said on his podcast that Horford is one of the players that Durant wants to play with.

I trust Lowe so I never really questioned it.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 10:59:40 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
If Horford were 3 or even 2 years younger, I'd want to give him the max regardless of whomever else Danny could acquire. But if giving Horford the max at age 30 means getting Durant, I have no problem with that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 11:04:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Zach Lowe stated that Horford was on Durant's short list of players he wanted to play with a few months back.

Cool, was wondering if that in particular was the case.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 11:55:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Consistent, steady contributions to winning on both ends is boring, I guess.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 12:24:11 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Horford probably asks for a 1 year deal too. Then you are essentially committed to him for 6 years: 1 year at mid-level max, 5 years at top level max - sheeeeesh.. I don't know, I say do it.

He will be earning like 35mill in 2021-2022. That is a lot of Horford.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 01:45:07 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
...why exactly does Durant want to play with him?
Ah... based on the title of this thread I thought this would be a smart post along the lines of:

"Horford Might Be the most Boring Player in the NBA, So...

... I don't blame you for scoffing at the idea that he'd be a draw for Durant, but a little closer look at the numbers reveals just how much of an impact Al Horford has on the game of basketball and just how beautifully his skill set would compliment a phenom scorer like Durant.  Because of where he plays and his style, fans can be forgiven for underrating Al Horford, but make no mistake - players like Kevin Durant understand just how good he is... etc"

But with some actual analysis and stats to back it up.

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 01:50:40 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Before the trade deadline Lowe said on his podcast that Horford is one of the players that Durant wants to play with.

I'd like to hear this podcast anybody got a link?

Lowe is legit though agreed
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 02:04:32 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Apparently it's this one: http://espn.go.com/general/play?id=14808166

Where he says:
I heard from two really powerful guys (in the league) - who don't normally BS around - they said that they have heard that Horford is on the shortlist of guys that Durant would really want to play with.

All info obtained from: http://www.celticslife.com/2016/02/celtics-sign-al-horford-kevin-durant.html?m=1
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 02:08:19 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Apparently it's this one: http://espn.go.com/general/play?id=14808166

Where he says:
I heard from two really powerful guys (in the league) - who don't normally BS around - they said that they have heard that Horford is on the shortlist of guys that Durant would really want to play with.

All info obtained from: http://www.celticslife.com/2016/02/celtics-sign-al-horford-kevin-durant.html?m=1
TP very interesting

God I'm excited for this weekend lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 02:30:51 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
...why exactly does Durant want to play with him?
Ah... based on the title of this thread I thought this would be a smart post along the lines of:

"Horford Might Be the most Boring Player in the NBA, So...

... I don't blame you for scoffing at the idea that he'd be a draw for Durant, but a little closer look at the numbers reveals just how much of an impact Al Horford has on the game of basketball and just how beautifully his skill set would compliment a phenom scorer like Durant.  Because of where he plays and his style, fans can be forgiven for underrating Al Horford, but make no mistake - players like Kevin Durant understand just how good he is... etc"

But with some actual analysis and stats to back it up.

Why thank you, fine sir! I was hoping you would go the full nine yards, though...

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 02:58:28 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Because Horford is the classic low risk, low reward guy.

He's not going to shake things up, he's not going to cause locker room problems, he's not going introduce any major flaws or liabilities on either end of the court, he's not going to demand trades or say stupid things in the media.

But at the same time he's not going create offense, he's not going to anchor your defense, he's not going to control the boards with any kind of consistency, and he's not going to do a whole lot to move the needle - or to take you any closer to realizing the dream of becoming a contender.

You could say that if Durant is Batman, then Al Horford would make a very nice Robin.  He'll give you all the support you need, but he lacks the talent and motivation to every risk trying to take your spotlight - he's happy enough living in the shadows.

It's not bad having a Robin on your team to handle some of the little tasks - it makes for a nice distraction for your enemies, which helps Batman focus on doing the heavy lifting with minimal interuptions.

My problem is when Gotham City decides to pay Robin a Batman-sized salary, leaving the city with no money left to actually sign a full time Batman.  Then you get stuck depending on Robin to be your big hero, and many years of suffering inevitably follow.   

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 03:02:28 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Consistent, steady contributions to winning on both ends is boring, I guess.

Lol, pretty much.