Author Topic: Do C's want 1st or last pitch to Durant? Meeting set for Saturday  (Read 9800 times)

Re: Do C's want 1st or last pitch to Durant? Meeting set for Saturday
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2016, 11:42:01 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
I was talking myself into optimism for a minute here, but OKC's ability to sign Horford ruined this pipe dream for me.  :blank:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=85861.15

No reason to be nervous. I don't think this substantially changes his likelihood of going back to OKC anymore than it already was. In fact, this very well could've been an ultimatum by Durant or his people using Boston as leverage - "Hey, they're going to sign me AND Horford over there. How are you going to match that?" If anything, it strengthens our argument due to knowing that Horford is a Durant target and we're the only team who can sign him outright without gutting the team.

Also, numerous things would have to go right for them to ultimately have enough room for Horford and get him to sign there, and even if they do get enough space to sign him, they're not in an ideal position afterwards with plenty of ammo to use against them if you're the Celtics, i.e. mortgaging their future draft picks to create space (think Sacramento), handcuffing their salary cap the next year or so, doing a number to their supporting cast to get space, staying in the West where several other teams other than GS, SAS, and LAC are poised to make a leap, etc.

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2016, 11:49:08 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Danny needs Perk to have a chat with KD after the other pitches, but before the C's turn. Then, Perk needs to quietly give Danny a heads up as to what will be important in their meeting with him.

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2016, 11:57:59 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
S
ean Leahy ✔ @leahysean
Isaiah says he has talked to Kevin Durant: "All I can tell you guys is he does like the city of Boston.' Said KD brought topic up
11:09 AM - 30 Jun 2016

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2016, 12:00:28 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Get Howard and Durant, bring in Mchale as an assistant , pry pierce away for the bench/ locker room presence. Then we can mess with duplicate players and all the picks we have to add yet another high impact role player or too thst really fits. That's my fantasy. Oh, kg for the presence too. Lol

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2016, 12:02:14 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Realistically, if okc can get Horford I think it's a done deal for them.

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2016, 03:18:11 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
http://theundefeated.com/features/expect-a-happy-ending-for-okc-in-durants-free-agent-drama/

“His decision is 90 percent made. It would take an amazing sales pitch to change it,” said one of Durant’s longtime friends.

Another Durant colleague said, “It’s going to take some sweet-talking to get him to pass up all the money he can get by staying in OKC.”

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2016, 03:21:34 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
http://theundefeated.com/features/expect-a-happy-ending-for-okc-in-durants-free-agent-drama/

“His decision is 90 percent made. It would take an amazing sales pitch to change it,” said one of Durant’s longtime friends.

Another Durant colleague said, “It’s going to take some sweet-talking to get him to pass up all the money he can get by staying in OKC.”

Onto Howard and parsons I guess

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2016, 03:22:05 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

[/b]

It's been widely reported that he doesn't care about the money. Hell, he has a $300M shoe contract. He'll go to the best basketball situation. I'm not saying that it's us, but he isn't going to stay in OKC just because of the money.

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2016, 03:27:54 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Danny needs Perk to have a chat with KD after the other pitches, but before the C's turn. Then, Perk needs to quietly give Danny a heads up as to what will be important in their meeting with him.

Would be awesome. But Perk signed that NDA  ;)
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

[/b]

It's been widely reported that he doesn't care about the money. Hell, he has a $300M shoe contract. He'll go to the best basketball situation. I'm not saying that it's us, but he isn't going to stay in OKC just because of the money.

I would think that going to a bigger (aka any other) market would get him way more endorsement money, more than enough to offset the OKC money.  There are plenty of reasons for him to stay in OKC, but money is not one of them
I'm bitter.

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2016, 09:34:37 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
ESPN sources say a successful meeting Thursday with Kevin Durant has put OKC in a strong position as KD readies to meet with five more teams

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2016, 09:44:55 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Realistically, if okc can get Horford I think it's a done deal for them.

That would put them into the luxury tax area.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2016, 09:45:59 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
ESPN sources say a successful meeting Thursday with Kevin Durant has put OKC in a strong position as KD readies to meet with five more teams

I wonder if they're trying to sell the Horford scenario to him.

If IT is to be believed, which I don't think he'd come out and straight lie to us, Horford seems genuinely interested in Boston with or without Durant, especially due to it being much closer of a system to one he is familiar with in Atlanta than OKC. I would guess that if they were set on teaming up somewhere, Horford would be pushing for Boston over OKC, which isn't even mentioning the financial side of things with a bigger market.

EDIT: So is "strong" more or less than 90%? Because apparently he was 90% sure going into the meeting in the first place.  ;)

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2016, 10:09:26 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Celtics need to show up with an open check book for buying players .......that is what every other team will do. .....

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2016, 10:13:38 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

This isn't shocking. We knew this coming into free agency, that Durant will likely stay in OKC. It's up to us to show him why he should come to Boston.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about