Author Topic: Do C's want 1st or last pitch to Durant? Meeting set for Saturday  (Read 9781 times)

Re: Does C's management want the 1st or last pitch to Durant?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 09:22:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Whatever spot gives Boston the best presentation and the best chance to sign him.  I have no idea what that is, though it might be 1st, last, or somewhere in between considering all factors.  What I would hate to have happen is Boston goes into the meeting and then Horford decides to sign here and thus Boston missed out on the pitch.  Or what if Boston pitch includes the concept of also signing Horford, but then we learn before the meeting or right after it that Horford is signing elsewhere?  Or what if you go last and Durant has already basically made up his mind.  There are so many possibilities that I just want Boston to have its best pitch and its best chance and I don't care what order that is, as long as it is.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 09:50:34 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Whatever spot gives Boston the best presentation and the best chance to sign him.  I have no idea what that is, though it might be 1st, last, or somewhere in between considering all factors.  What I would hate to have happen is Boston goes into the meeting and then Horford decides to sign here and thus Boston missed out on the pitch.  Or what if Boston pitch includes the concept of also signing Horford, but then we learn before the meeting or right after it that Horford is signing elsewhere?  Or what if you go last and Durant has already basically made up his mind.  There are so many possibilities that I just want Boston to have its best pitch and its best chance and I don't care what order that is, as long as it is.
The pitch to Durant and Horford have to be coordinated.  It is not exactly ok under the rules, but I see no other way it could work.

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 10:09:42 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I can't help but picture the Durant sales pitch like a stereotypical scene out of movie or sitcom.

Danny and Brad arrive at the Roc Nation offices, only to find 4 other teams already waiting in the reception area.  "Sorry Mr. Durant and his representatives are running behind schedule, but we'll let them know you're here."

They go sit next to Doc and the Clippers reps, as Doc fills in Danny on what's going down.  "We've been here for over 3 hours and they've already rescheduled us twice.  I heard the Spurs pitch went well but the Warriors bombed.  He's meeting with Riley and the Heat now, been in there for over an hour." 

Just then the door opens and Riley and Durant emerge and are laughing it up like they're best friends.  "So you'll be over for my barbecue on Saturday, right?" Riley asks while slapping Durant on the back.  "Of course, wouldn't miss it for the world Pat," Durant responds giving Riley the wink-and-the-gun.  The receptionist then calls for Danny and Brad, as Riley walks by with an evil smirk, leans in and whispers "Have fun topping that, punks."

Thrown off their game, Danny and Brad nervously shuffle through their papers while fumbling through the opening of their pitch and accidentally insulting Durant.  All seems lost, Durant has clearly mentally checked out, until Brad going off script and stepping outside his well mannered persona, miraculously turns it around delivering an inspirational monologue, winning Durant and his reps over.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 10:09:47 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
It looks like Warriors will get the first crack at him.

The Warriors' meeting with Thunder free agent forward Kevin Durant is Friday afternoon in The Hamptons, a source told The Undefeated.
Marc Spears

http://espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0539685921004459479-4

Does that generally mean that they are first? What if he has a meeting with OKC at 12:01?

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 10:25:47 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
You want first, get him to agree while you are there and use that to get your next target in free agency. With Durant on board that becomes much much easier! ;)

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 10:38:15 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
You obviously want to go first.  First off, maybe you win his mind over right there and he cancels the meetings with everyone else.  But more importantly, you get to shoot down the strong points of other team's arguments so he isn't impressed by them.

You can say, "yeah other teams have stars, but those teams are those team's stars.  Here you won't be criticized for jumping on an already championship team and riding their coattails into the finals." 

Then in comes Golden State and they open with, "we are already a championship team.  We have Curry, Thompson and Green.  You'd have an easy trip to the finals year after year."

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 10:49:40 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2920
It looks like Warriors will get the first crack at him.

The Warriors' meeting with Thunder free agent forward Kevin Durant is Friday afternoon in The Hamptons, a source told The Undefeated.
Marc Spears

http://espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0539685921004459479-4

Does that generally mean that they are first? What if he has a meeting with OKC at 12:01?

Yeah, this is especially true for West Coast guys, because 12 Eastern is only 9 pm on the West Coast. So I'd imagine he talks with someone early Friday morning.

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 11:49:20 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
So OKC is getting their first whip at Durant on Thursday before free agency begins, somehow.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/748176711452397569?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Then Golden State is meeting with him on Friday, and the Spurs are meeting with him on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/748177958464937984?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

It's interesting that OKC is going first. You would think that they would be given the meeting last so Durant can weigh all of the other teams' options/strategies versus OKC to give them the chance to best it. I think OKC loses some leverage by going first, because they'll have the least to present to Durant (being the incumbent) and it being highly unlikely that they could convince him off the bat where he wouldn't even take meetings with other teams.

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 11:58:11 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I wonder if its possible to have Durant jet up to Boston for the meeting. It would be nice to have the meeting under 17 championship banners. ;D

We don't want to meet him in uppity Hamptons hotel like GSW. We want him to see the city and get a taste of the sports atmosphere. The Red Sox have a 9 game home stretch starting july1. Bring him to a game in the owners box.

Oh yea have Brady and Ortiz tell him how great it is to be a sports legend in Boston.

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 12:45:48 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16613710/kevin-durant-first-meet-oklahoma-city-thunder

Sources tell ESPN that the Spurs' meeting with Durant is Saturday, and he will meet with the Heat on July 3.

So...we aren't among the first 4...smh.

OKC before July 1 (which is somehow allowed?), GSW on July 1, SAS in July 2, MIA on July 3.

That's probably the order he's considering the teams in. I reckon we are next, and clippers last
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2016, 12:50:18 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16613710/kevin-durant-first-meet-oklahoma-city-thunder

Sources tell ESPN that the Spurs' meeting with Durant is Saturday, and he will meet with the Heat on July 3.

OKC before July 1 (which is somehow allowed?), GSW on July 1, SAS in July 2, MIA on July 3.

That's probably the order he's considering the teams in. I reckon we are next, and clippers last

So we get the 4th of July and last team to pitch to him?

FIREWORKS!

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2016, 12:55:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I highly doubt that. There's no justification for him to consider Miami over us given all of their uncertainty as it is, especially with the Wade reports coming out and the whole Bosh situation. I'm honestly surprised that they're even getting a meeting. Also, we swept the Heat last year lol

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2016, 12:57:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I do wonder if this means that we'll meet with Howard and Horford before Durant, though. It helps to have the Horford meeting first, though not necessarily the Howard meeting.

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2016, 01:13:02 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
It's of course possible that he takes more than one meeting a day.

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 01:16:48 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
It's of course possible that he takes more than one meeting a day.

Yeah. Since we aren't taking him around Boston all day, this could also be the case.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about