Author Topic: Do C's want 1st or last pitch to Durant? Meeting set for Saturday  (Read 9790 times)

Re: Does C's management want the 1st or last pitch to Durant?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 08:16:22 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
So obvious that you want the first pitch where you can set the tone and benchmark for others to reach. If we go in there and do our job making our pitch, then we set the bar high and at the minimum will be given a final shot to respond if nothing else.

Plus the other benefits of being able to make your own decisions based on feedback/input from Durant. We have too many decisions to make on other players to be held up...although this brings up an interesting notion on Amir Johnson/Jonas Jerebko.

Does it become an obvious that we retain them and simply trade them if we need room to support 2 max players? How stuck do we get with these 2 contracts to make other moves given the league knows we'll need the room...
Potentially very stuck. Like you said the rest of the league knows we need room so you get pennies on the dollar.  I like both dudes but they don't move the needle. Just give the spots to Yabusele and Zizic.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 08:35:19 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Our chances are minimal either way.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 08:38:49 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I say last, because they better meet him with Horford signed. Or whoever Durant said he wants to play with.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 08:44:10 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
So obvious that you want the first pitch where you can set the tone and benchmark for others to reach. If we go in there and do our job making our pitch, then we set the bar high and at the minimum will be given a final shot to respond if nothing else.

Plus the other benefits of being able to make your own decisions based on feedback/input from Durant. We have too many decisions to make on other players to be held up...although this brings up an interesting notion on Amir Johnson/Jonas Jerebko.

Does it become an obvious that we retain them and simply trade them if we need room to support 2 max players? How stuck do we get with these 2 contracts to make other moves given the league knows we'll need the room...
Potentially very stuck. Like you said the rest of the league knows we need room so you get pennies on the dollar.  I like both dudes but they don't move the needle. Just give the spots to Yabusele and Zizic.

I don't think Danny would be looking for any return, just looking to dump them into cap space.  Given that there's tons of cap space and both are productive players on reasonable contracts, Danny wouldn't have an issue.  Just look at the Cavs with Lebron, or the Spurs with LMA.  Out of the 29 other teams, one of them will make a deal
I'm bitter.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 08:56:28 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Doing sales and marketing I always want to be last. But it doesn't matter unless I'm the most prepared to handle anything and make a great presentation.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I say last, because they better meet him with Horford signed. Or whoever Durant said he wants to play with.
Right, whoever KD wants and is available. It may technically be against the regulations, but that didn't stop LeBron from colluding with his buddies to form the Miami 3.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 09:23:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
See if you can go first AND last

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 09:36:12 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
See if you can go first AND last

If you ain't first, you're last. Shake and bake!

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 09:41:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If they get the 2nd pitch, they should trade down. ::)
Yup

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 09:55:50 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I'm with those who say first.

The last time the C's signed a coveted free agent was Sheed in '09.  He was signing for the mid-level so every contender could afford him and wanted him.  Had meetings set up with Boston, Orlando, Dallas, and San Antonio.  Met with Boston first, then told his agent to call off all the other meetings, he had already made his decision.  That's what you hope for.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 04:53:47 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
It looks like Warriors will get the first crack at him.

The Warriors' meeting with Thunder free agent forward Kevin Durant is Friday afternoon in The Hamptons, a source told The Undefeated.
Marc Spears

http://espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0539685921004459479-4
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 05:05:26 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'm with those who say first.

The last time the C's signed a coveted free agent was Sheed in '09.  He was signing for the mid-level so every contender could afford him and wanted him.  Had meetings set up with Boston, Orlando, Dallas, and San Antonio.  Met with Boston first, then told his agent to call off all the other meetings, he had already made his decision.  That's what you hope for.

Agree. Knock it out of the ballpark with that first meeting. Set the bar high
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 05:19:51 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
It's pretty simple.
You go first, you kill any competition because it's obvious we'll have the better speech.
- Brad IQ and technics is up there with the greatest.
- DA best GM in the league
- Wyc opening wallet if necessary without second thoughts.
- Core of the team unchanged, chemistry intact.
All these surpass other teams who have to sacrifice their core to get him.
At the end he will think, 'should I stay in OKC or go to Boston to end my carrier'.
That's all I ask for him  8)

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 06:59:07 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
In sales you always want to go last. That way you can cover any objections the 'buyer' may have. f you go first, you may not ever know what objections he has.

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 09:09:50 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
First or last, they should go to Durant with another big like Horford or Howard signed. That would make their case stronger. Durant alone isn't going to put them over the top.