Author Topic: Do C's want 1st or last pitch to Durant? Meeting set for Saturday  (Read 9806 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Simple question, and what would be the benefit in each spot?

Update on weei that say meeting is set for July 4th
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 11:08:13 AM by rondohondo »

Re: Does C's management want the 1st or last pitch to Durant?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 07:22:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Last.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 07:25:07 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Last.

same, at that point you know who went up front and you have time to analyze each situation for him and hopefully dissuade him from joining those teams

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 07:25:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I doubt they get either. Probably be in the middle somewhere, though I agree last would be ideal. Have the actual meeting dates for each team been released yet?

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 07:27:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think they'd be thrilled if they get to meet with him at all before he decides.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 07:42:35 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think they'd be thrilled if they get to meet with him at all before he decides.
I think C's are one of 6 to get a meeting. Will they all be in NY?

You always want to be last.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 07:43:50 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

If it looks like this forget about it. Need a full days meeting with him, take a choppah (arnold voice) to Boston from NYC and spend a summer day there.
Visit the Garden, Fenway Park etc.

Btw, first impression lasts forever, i want to be first.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 07:47:29 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

yep theyre all in NY. thats where his agency is located.

the thing i fear with being last is that, what if another team does such a good job that he doesnt really listen to us as well? with being first, if done well, we can really set an amazing first impression, so he can keep referring back to our meeting. "oh, pat riley was nice, but the boston meeting, that was something special!".
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 07:47:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd go first because team would really benefit from the earliest answer possible.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 07:48:43 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'd go first because team would really benefit from the earliest answer possible.

yeah this is also important. if he doesnt want to sign with us, id appreciate if he doesnt leave us hanging, so that we can use our money on other guys.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 07:50:14 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I think the C's should go in with the attitude that it doesnt matter if they are first, last, or anywhere in between. What they have to offer is so good that they don't care what order they are in.

On a related note, if the meetings are all in NY, and you can't bring Durant through the Celtics history in Boston, then you have to bring the history to him. Of course, put together a great video, but you have to fly in former players that can show him the history. Bring in Pierce, Tommy, Scal, Bill Russell if he is healthy enough, Jo Jo White, whoever you can. I think Pierce would totally love to be on the other end of this, as a semi-retired legend representing the greatness of the organization. Heck, get Tom Brady and David Ortiz to join in too, Kraft would do us a solid for sure.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 07:54:46 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

yep theyre all in NY. thats where his agency is located.

the thing i fear with being last is that, what if another team does such a good job that he doesnt really listen to us as well? with being first, if done well, we can really set an amazing first impression, so he can keep referring back to our meeting. "oh, pat riley was nice, but the boston meeting, that was something special!".
Disagree. In a situation like this, you want to be last so that is his strongest impression coming away from the meetings. It also gives you the chance to let him tell you what he wants that he heard from other teams (he wouldn't have to name which one) and therefore the last shot. It's like baseball.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 08:00:14 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
He could also have had enough of meetings by the last meeting, and have already made up his mind in his head before then.

He could be nervous in the 1st meeting, and may not even remember much of it by the time he gets to the last one.

You can't predict these things, just put forth the best meeting you possibly can, thats all you can do.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 08:10:13 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
So obvious that you want the first pitch where you can set the tone and benchmark for others to reach. If we go in there and do our job making our pitch, then we set the bar high and at the minimum will be given a final shot to respond if nothing else.

Plus the other benefits of being able to make your own decisions based on feedback/input from Durant. We have too many decisions to make on other players to be held up...although this brings up an interesting notion on Amir Johnson/Jonas Jerebko.

Does it become an obvious that we retain them and simply trade them if we need room to support 2 max players? How stuck do we get with these 2 contracts to make other moves given the league knows we'll need the room...

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 08:10:47 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
dont think first would matter because free agents don't have to make up their mind for a week or so later.