Author Topic: Reggie Lewis' mom gives ok for KD to wear 35 in Boston  (Read 3395 times)

Re: Reggie Lewis' mom gives ok for KD to wear 35 in Boston
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 02:57:14 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Durant wore 3 in high school, so both his numbers are retired by the Celts. Maybe he tries a new number in Celtic green.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 02:57:24 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
It is quite easy you just retire Reggie's name instead of his number just like Jim Loscutoff.

This should be the same for Walter Brown and Red. I still can't understand retiring numbers for owners, managers & gm's, unless they were previous Celtic players like Ainge.

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 12:51:47 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It is quite easy you just retire Reggie's name instead of his number just like Jim Loscutoff.

This should be the same for Walter Brown and Red. I still can't understand retiring numbers for owners, managers & gm's, unless they were previous Celtic players like Ainge.
How is Reggie's situation the same as Red's?  I can understand you point with the coaches but it isn't the same as Reggie's.  And what the heck does it mean to retire his name?  We'll never sign another reggie?  Or reggie lewis?

As I said, I would consider it selling out to the next big thing.  Shouldn't be that easy.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 01:01:39 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Reggie Lewis is my favorite Celtic of all time. I was born in 82 and it was right around the time he was drafted that I became an avid Celtics fan. He's the only Celtic Jersey I own.

Personally I wouldn't want to see it removed from the rafters for Kevin Durant, but if Reggie's mom gave it her blessing who are we to say no?

That being said I think its absurd she is even being asked this question when all we have at this stage is a meeting with KD (along with 5 other teams). 

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

but there is a difference. loscy ASKED the celtics to NOT retire his number (18) since he wanted other players to wear it. so, not quite the same.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Reggie Lewis is my favorite Celtic of all time. I was born in 82 and it was right around the time he was drafted that I became an avid Celtics fan. He's the only Celtic Jersey I own.

Personally I wouldn't want to see it removed from the rafters for Kevin Durant, but if Reggie's mom gave it her blessing who are we to say no?

That being said I think its absurd she is even being asked this question when all we have at this stage is a meeting with KD (along with 5 other teams).
Well, the fans probably don't have a say here.  And I understand the comment about his mom but I wonder how it came to her so quickly.  Obviously, someone with an interest brought it to her.  And she answered in a nice way, though she also indicated potential for some mixed feelings about it.

As to the "who are we to say no" comment, my opinion is that the TEAM should say no.  Hell no even.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 01:11:41 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
He can wear #33 or #6 if it gets him to come here.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 01:16:32 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I wonder how much number availability affects free agent decisions. I'd guess hardly at all, though some players are superstitious like that.

I think it matters a whole lot more than people think.
Greg

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 01:16:44 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

Well, the fans probably don't have a say here.  And I understand the comment about his mom but I wonder how it came to her so quickly.  Obviously, someone with an interest brought it to her.  And she answered in a nice way, though she also indicated potential for some mixed feelings about it.

As to the "who are we to say no" comment, my opinion is that the TEAM should say no.  Hell no even.

Hey I agree with you.. I don't want to see it happen.

The bigger question is, and hypothetically speaking, what kind of can of worms does this open if the organization did do it?
What happens if in 20 years we have the opportunity to sign the next coming of Michael Jordan but he'll only sign if he can wear #33, its been his number since high school..
Is it okay since we already did it once for Kevin Durant?

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 02:24:40 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
He can wear #33 or #6 if it gets him to come here.
Yeah, this is my exact objection to KD and #35.  I completely disagree.

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 02:25:51 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

The bigger question is, and hypothetically speaking, what kind of can of worms does this open if the organization did do it?
What happens if in 20 years we have the opportunity to sign the next coming of Michael Jordan but he'll only sign if he can wear #33, its been his number since high school..
Yup, you do it here and soon you'll be giving away #6 and #33.  But as we can see, others don't object at all.

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Yup, you do it here and soon you'll be giving away #6 and #33.  But as we can see, others don't object at all.

I couldn't care less if a 10 day contract scrub wore 35 or 33 or 6, let alone Durant.