Author Topic: 60 wins in the East with The Horford Durant combo  (Read 2287 times)

Re: 60 wins in the East with The Horford Durant combo
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 07:41:12 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I would favor Cleveland slightly over us, simply because Lebron James has always dominated Durant in heads up match. But it'll most likely be Crowder guarding LBJ, and wearing him out, while Durant can focus mainly on offense.

I still think if we were to add some vet help like Pierce, or TA to help guide our younger players, that we could certainly  exceed expectations and maybe surpass 65 wins, and get to the Finals.
Having Crowder and Brown there to take the physical load of defending Lebron off of KD and then having Avery and Marcus to hound Kyrie, we would matchup quite well with Cleveland.

but it seems a bit early to start talking about what we are gonna do once we get KD. I dont even see us as the favorites to get him.
It would be a good series, but Boston would still have significant offensive problems when Durant gets slowed down by James.  Thomas just doesn't have the size to be reliable and Horford is a solid all around player, but he is not a difference maker offensively (and at this point is pretty much a jump shooter).  And while Crowder is a good defender, he has never had all that much success guarding James.  In fact, James has pretty much exceeded his season averages when matched up against Crowder.
Scoring would certainly be the problem. I dont mean to suggest that Crowder could stop Lebron more that he and brown could make Lebron work for his points while more importantly taking the physical toll of defending a beast like Lebron from KD's shoulders. While Lebron would have to battle physical specimens like Crowder and Brown and then would be tasked with defending KD on the other side. Lebron is a superior player to KD but that energy disparity could even the playing field.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 08:42:35 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I agree. 60 win team. Except I don't like Olynyk. They are basically a small ball team.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 08:48:51 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
If we had Durant and Horford, I think we'd beat Cleveland. 62 wins sounds like a reasonable record.

The reason IT is "easy" to stop is because he has no help. Dude is so talented offensively though. Adding KD will help IT tremendously, IMO.
- LilRip

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 09:37:53 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I would favor Cleveland slightly over us, simply because Lebron James has always dominated Durant in heads up match. But it'll most likely be Crowder guarding LBJ, and wearing him out, while Durant can focus mainly on offense.

I still think if we were to add some vet help like Pierce, or TA to help guide our younger players, that we could certainly  exceed expectations and maybe surpass 65 wins, and get to the Finals.
Having Crowder and Brown there to take the physical load of defending Lebron off of KD and then having Avery and Marcus to hound Kyrie, we would matchup quite well with Cleveland.

but it seems a bit early to start talking about what we are gonna do once we get KD. I dont even see us as the favorites to get him.
It would be a good series, but Boston would still have significant offensive problems when Durant gets slowed down by James.  Thomas just doesn't have the size to be reliable and Horford is a solid all around player, but he is not a difference maker offensively (and at this point is pretty much a jump shooter).  And while Crowder is a good defender, he has never had all that much success guarding James.  In fact, James has pretty much exceeded his season averages when matched up against Crowder.
Scoring would certainly be the problem. I dont mean to suggest that Crowder could stop Lebron more that he and brown could make Lebron work for his points while more importantly taking the physical toll of defending a beast like Lebron from KD's shoulders. While Lebron would have to battle physical specimens like Crowder and Brown and then would be tasked with defending KD on the other side. Lebron is a superior player to KD but that energy disparity could even the playing field.

Two things to consider:

1. Lebron is 31 and KD is 27. The difference in their ages has always been an advantage for Lebron over Durant, until... just about now. Durant enters peak years just as Lebron starts to slow just a bit.

2. Stevens would make a difference in the matchup. Durant has never played for a pro coach that made his job any easier.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 09:54:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Add Durant alone to this team and it's 60+.  Add Horford it should be 65+

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 04:15:07 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
What if Yabusele comes over? van his physicality help slowing Lebron down?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 04:38:28 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Durant is not signing with anyone this off season. This is just a screening interview for next off season. Durant is going to sign that one year deal with OKC. He just wants to see who he's going to choose for next off season. It would be in his best interest to stay with Westbrook for one more year. That's not to say he won't sign with Boston but its not gonna be this summer. Horford is not gonna make this team into a contender. He would be a piece to a sure we get Durant next summer, I'm not even that high on him but if he gets Durant to sign on next year I guess that's the way to go. I'd rather see us go after guys that won't cost as much as Horford or Dwight Howard. Those kind of guys are gonna cost way to much and its not gonna dramatically change the win-loss column. The problem is, people are in way to much of a rush to get that title. Have patients, nothing we do now is gonna assure us a title anyways. Unless we could get a Demarcus Cousins or Andre Drummond to play center, picking up Durant and Horford is not gonna take us over the top.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 04:44:42 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Personally, I think we would be better (and instant favorites in the East) if we got Durant and Dwight...but regardless of whether it is Durant/Dwight or Durant/Horford, that would be a REALLY good team.

This would mean we have Durant as our #1 scoring option (which is optimal for him), Thomas as our #2 scoring option (which is optimal for him), and Dwight/Horford as our #3 scoring option (which would be optimal for either of those two guys) and Bradley as a #4 option (which is perfect for him).

Also with so much attention diverted to Durant and Thomas, Horford and Bradley would find themselves wide open almost constantly - and they are both VERY dangerous when left open.  Crowder is no slouch as your 5th option either

There is really not a single guy on in that lineup who you can afford to leave open, even for a moment.  That is a really, really tough lineup to defend...and yet the defense (with Bradley, Crowder and Horford) would be pretty tough too.  Then on top of that you still have the likes of Jackson, Rozier, Smart, Brown, Olynyk, Mickey, Zizic/Jerebko/Amir (if retained) coming off your bench.  Then on top of that you still have two more potential top 5 picks from Brooklyn in 2017 and 2018. 

I'm honestly not sure if Cleveland would be capable of beating us in a 7 game series if we got Durant and Horford, and I'm not exaggerating here.  That would be a really, really hard team to beat for a number of years - and we'd have enough young talent to keep us competitive even after Durant/Horford start to fade out.