Poll

When would you prefer the Celticsblog Draft to be held?

Early Aug (Aug 1-20)
Early Sept (Sep 1-20)
Either one is good for me

Author Topic: CB Draft 2016 interest thread: 30 teams set; Draft slots round TODAY @ 11am!  (Read 134221 times)

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67286.0

For those interested the link above will give you the best idea of how this works. Just scroll through the thread and look at some of the posts. Don't need to spend a lot of time to get a feel for the process.

Is the draft in snake format for all rounds?  Or the modified snake they used in 2013, I vote for modified from 2013.

Modified -- and well actually pick our draft slots.

What do you mean by picking our draft slots? We're not gonna do a lotto drawing this year?

I don't mind the idea, just wanted to clarify.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Looks like I might be late, but I'm in if there's anymore openings.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Looks like I might be late, but I'm in if there's anymore openings.

I put you down as an alternate! We'll know later this week if there's a spot.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

• Rajon Rondo

For those interested the link above will give you the best idea of how this works. Just scroll through the thread and look at some of the posts. Don't need to spend a lot of time to get a feel for the process.

Is the draft in snake format for all rounds?  Or the modified snake they used in 2013, I vote for modified from 2013.

What do you mean by picking our draft slots? We're not gonna do a lotto drawing this year?

We will do a lotto, but there will be a new wrinkle to it.

After the lottery, the team with the #1 pick gets to pick their draft slot.

So does the Do they choose to stay with the #1 pick (and wait all the way until Pick #60) or do they choose to pick 5th (for example) and pick again at #54? Does the #14 pick stay at #14 or maybe drop down to #30 and get the picks on the turn (30 + 31)? See my example here.

The NFBC (high stakes Baseball fantasy league) does this and I'd like to try it here -- teams have to think a little more about where the talent tiers are (though i don't think it will change very much...).

This is partially to add a little more of the team building aspect in (do you think 1 star + 1 really good player > 2 borderline stars?) and partially to have a low-key first 2 pre-draft rounds (the 2nd round = pick team (and poss. team/coach combo)) for new GMs to get a hang of how the drafting process itself works -- since i'd estimate we ahve 1/3 new GMs...

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

So does the Do they choose to stay with the #1 pick (and wait all the way until Pick #60) or do they choose to pick 5th (for example) and pick again at #54? Does the #14 pick stay at #14 or maybe drop down to #30 and get the picks on the turn (30 + 31)? See my example here.

The NFBC (high stakes Baseball fantasy league) does this and I'd like to try it here -- teams have to think a little more about where the talent tiers are (though i don't think it will change very much...).

This is partially to add a little more of the team building aspect in (do you think 1 star + 1 really good player > 2 borderline stars?) and partially to have a low-key first 2 pre-draft rounds (the 2nd round = pick team (and poss. team/coach combo)) for new GMs to get a hang of how the drafting process itself works -- since i'd estimate we ahve 1/3 new GMs...

Nice. I like that idea.

I normally prefer to pick towards the end of the 1st round.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm glad we now have 30.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

• Rajon Rondo

Nice. I like that idea.

I normally prefer to pick towards the end of the 1st round.

Guess that's another advantage... if folks have a time slot that works better or worse they could factor that in too.

I'll try and get everythign lined up for later this week w/ official rules, schedule, etc.

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I'd love to get to 30 too.

Aug 6-7 - Coaches round

Maybe I'm the only one, but I hate the Coaches round. Could we just hand cuff franchises to their current head coaches? Makes the team draft a lot more meaningful.

Hmmm I like this idea Wiggle, drafting coach + team. Lemme think on it.

Sounds great to me - keeps the team draft from being purely ornamental.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
You can count me as officially in.  The last week could be tough for me, but I'll at least be able to vote.

• Rajon Rondo
channeling my inner Celticsblog Draft (TP to Edgar...)

Is there anyone out there
who can volunteer to put the
rosters into NBA2K
(or some other sim) for
a portion of the voting???

PM me or post here.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
you can count me officially in

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
So are the players you draft under their current contract? Like if you took Russell Westbrook, would you have him for only one year and then he is a free agent? That would make guys with great contracts like Crowder and AB a whole lot more valuable. Also, are draft picks being reset? Or if you take the celtics franchise, do you get all of their future picks. Thanks for the clarification.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So are the players you draft under their current contract? Like if you took Russell Westbrook, would you have him for only one year and then he is a free agent? That would make guys with great contracts like Crowder and AB a whole lot more valuable. Also, are draft picks being reset? Or if you take the celtics franchise, do you get all of their future picks. Thanks for the clarification.

Contracts don't matter in this draft, my friend.

You draft them and you get who they are as a player at this stage of their careers, regardless of contract terms.

This is a one off draft, build the best team you could possibly build and argue your way as to why you have the best. So future picks don't count as well.

Think of it as like this thing TNT did before. But instead, we are using current active players. And for us to win the CB Draft, we have to not only be good at drafting, constructing a well rounded team, we also have to convince other GM's that our team is in fact, the cream de la creme based on constructed arguments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHbdbj4TRfw
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:03:13 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm glad we now have 30.

I may have not played a CB draft with 30 GM's.

This is going to be very interesting, the talent pool will really be spread out. And it could all come down to team fit, and how great your arguments are.

Can't wait.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Contracts don't matter in this draft, my friend.

You draft them and you get who they are as a player at this stage of their careers, regardless of contract terms.

This is a one off draft, build the best team you could possibly build and argue your way as to why you have the best. So future picks don't count as well.

Think of it as like this thing TNT did before. But instead, we are using current active players. And for us to win the CB Draft, we have to not only be good at drafting, constructing a well rounded team, we also have to convince other GM's that our team is in fact, the cream de la creme based on constructed arguments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHbdbj4TRfw
Ok. So future picks are reset and contracts are reset. Is the future still being accounted for or am I building the best possible team for one year? If I take a bunch of young prospects, would I still be in the running for constructing the best team, or is that just for who built the best team to win right now.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out