Author Topic: Jaylen is not just an athlete  (Read 2465 times)

Jaylen is not just an athlete
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:50:10 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rEF4fRdjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKarP6FDS4c

Maybe he doesn't do a lot of this with consistency right now but these videos show him doing more than that.  I'm seeing him do it. Plus he lives at the FT line.  9 3 FT attempts per 40 mpg and he is still underdeveloped. 

He shot poorly in his one season at Cal as well.  He was a 38 percent 3 pt shooter before that and shot well in workouts as well. He isn't a prolific shooter but a pretty good one.. Kawii also shot 25 percent from 3 in college but has shot 38 percent in the pro's which is more his real percentage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH6qjI4OPbc

At 2:45 Ainge talks about AB and how Ainge saw him at 17 and he was a pretty good shooter even though the media said he wasn't.  Ainge feels Jaylen is a pretty good shooter and will improve.  His sample size is much bigger than ours.

Ainge describes him as versatile with high upside and I agree. He just has to improve.

Re: Jaylen is not just an athlete
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 02:07:24 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Things you should expect: Some unfortunate souls from opposing teams will be on a SportsCenter top 10 highlight... that's a guarantee. He will also grab a good amount of boards, play ok defense but nothing compared to Smart.

However, I'm worried about his high usage and lack of offensive production... those two things don't often go hand in hand. If he had the ball in his hands more than any other freshman, where's the dominant scoring? where's the assist numbers? I understand his College BBall team had injuries and he had to play out of position but if this guy is to be a star he has to be able to do something with the ball in his hands, he had all the opportunity too, but never seized the opportunity to stand out, and I think that is a fair knock on him.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 02:36:10 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Ainge typically drafts players that aren't just athletes though but have flaws to their game and need to develop. I think it's more difficult than people think to find players that are the be all end all where he's been drafting and just the state of the nba in ways. He's hit on some Bradley, Al J(somewhat), Marcus(still in question), and missed somewhat on others so far like KO, Sully, Gerald Green, Fab Melo etc..  All of that is debateable though.  He's done well in trades targetting guys like Isaiah and Crowder.  Jaylen has more upside than any of these guys.  He's the highest draft pick we've had.  Still fits that mold in ways but has more upside.

It's one thing if the fans criticizing him were drafting better players at the time but from what I've seen a lot of those players were even more duds. Those same fans were drafting Cole Aldrich and panning Bradley while Bradley was being developed into a good player.

There's some risk drafting that way.  It's not 100 percent going to work out all the time, but players that have to work to improve sometimes end up fitting our style better anyways.

Jaylen has a legit shot to be a legitament horse for us.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:43:10 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 02:45:27 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Jaylen is the most talented player Ainge has drafted is what I'm saying I guess.  He's not just an athlete.  He's more talented than even Rondo or Al J.  He has a chance to be Ainge's best pick.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 02:50:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Things you should expect: Some unfortunate souls from opposing teams will be on a SportsCenter top 10 highlight... that's a guarantee. He will also grab a good amount of boards, play ok defense but nothing compared to Smart.

However, I'm worried about his high usage and lack of offensive production... those two things don't often go hand in hand. If he had the ball in his hands more than any other freshman, where's the dominant scoring? where's the assist numbers? I understand his College BBall team had injuries and he had to play out of position but if this guy is to be a star he has to be able to do something with the ball in his hands, he had all the opportunity too, but never seized the opportunity to stand out, and I think that is a fair knock on him.

If you want to feel better about things, just watch the 'weaknesses' videos of Simmons and Ingram. It is obvious that Brown still has limitations to his game, but he has all the potential in the world. I am on record for wanting Dunn, but at least Brown should be able to break into the rotation right away.

How successful he becomes will depend on how much work he puts into his game - both physically and mentally.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 02:56:13 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I'm really liking the pick more and more.  We got our Lebron killer in ways. Crowder is ok but doesn't excite me that much.

Draymond green is a great all around forward, but as far as athletic studs that just attack the rim like a freight train Brown and Lebron may be the best in the league at that right off the bat.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 03:06:01 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

If you want to feel better about things, just watch the 'weaknesses' videos of Simmons and Ingram. It is obvious that Brown still has limitations to his game, but he has all the potential in the world. I am on record for wanting Dunn, but at least Brown should be able to break into the rotation right away.

How successful he becomes will depend on how much work he puts into his game - both physically and mentally.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited to have him here in the Bean. I just have questions about his future role with us, Go-to scorer is looking like a stretch based on history, but he has a better chance than, say James Young, to be a very good player.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 03:11:20 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I think people are underestimating how good he really is.  There is no forward in the nba outside of Lebron who can do what he does as far as attacking the paint.  Lebron isn't the greatest shooter in the world but has worked at it.  Lebron is obviously a better distributer, but is also a ****.  Brown is never going to be that but everything else I really think he can match a guy like Lebron.  Defense and everything.

his shot and offensive game is a work in progress somewhat.  There are adjustment periods that come along with that. He may never be as fully developed as lebron as  an offensive player but as far as explosiveness and everything else he is right there.

Lebron is a 30 ppg 7-8 boards and 7-8 assists stat stuffer.  We don't even need that or want that necessarily. 

If jaylen develops to go with our other players he is an all star caliber and championship caliber player.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:18:24 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 03:33:54 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

Don't get me wrong, I am excited to have him here in the Bean. I just have questions about his future role with us, Go-to scorer is looking like a stretch based on history, but he has a better chance than, say James Young, to be a very good player.

What history? The 18 yr old 1 year in College history? It's hard to judge a guy off of 1 yr in College, especially the first year..
No his numbers weren't super impressive but they were far from bad and he was young.
In the pro's with a bigger work-space to operate in and with Elite athletes around him he should really be able to grow..

JB has all the Tools to be a go to Scorer in this league..  It's up to him and CBS to see to it that it happens.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

What history? The 18 yr old 1 year in College history? It's hard to judge a guy off of 1 yr in College, especially the first year..
No his numbers weren't super impressive but they were far from bad and he was young.
In the pro's with a bigger work-space to operate in and with Elite athletes around him he should really be able to grow..

JB has all the Tools to be a go to Scorer in this league..  It's up to him and CBS to see to it that it happens.

I'm not saying he has no future or that his performance was particularly bad, guys again, I like this kid!

Let's just not get ahead of ourselves, he is very raw, this is Danny's second go at the Gerald Green project, except this time Jaylen looks like he's mature enough to handle winning the dunk contest and not let it go to his head.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 07:55:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

At 2:45 Ainge talks about AB and how Ainge saw him at 17 and he was a pretty good shooter even though the media said he wasn't.  Ainge feels Jaylen is a pretty good shooter and will improve.  His sample size is much bigger than ours.

Ainge describes him as versatile with high upside and I agree. He just has to improve.

Honest question - why do you seemingly always blame the media for almost everything in your posts?  And who cares that Ainge saw that Bradley could shoot at 17 when Avery demonstrated that he could hit 3s at Texas, where he shot .375 from downtown on almost 3 attempts a game. 

Lebron is a 30 ppg 7-8 boards and 7-8 assists stat stuffer.  We don't even need that or want that necessarily.

We don't? :o

Jaylen is the most talented player Ainge has drafted is what I'm saying I guess.  He's not just an athlete.  He's more talented than even Rondo or Al J.  He has a chance to be Ainge's best pick.

Hopefully he does become Ainge's best pick, seeing as how he went 3rd on Thursday, but he's nowhere near Rondo in terms of talent - not even close, imo - and I also think that you're really underrating Big Al.  In fairness to Brown, however, there aren't many guys who are as talented as Rondo.  Maybe we should pump the brakes ;).

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 08:08:25 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

The problem with his shooting its that the defense didn't have to worry about other players, so they collapse and double team him constantly. And you can't get assists if you teammates can't ht shots.

Watch some of the highschool stuff on youtube. Theres one against Simmons and one against  Maker. Some good shooting and passing in those.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 08:19:24 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Honest question - why do you seemingly always blame the media for almost everything in your posts?  And who cares that Ainge saw that Bradley could shoot at 17 when Avery demonstrated that he could hit 3s at Texas, where he shot .375 from downtown on almost 3 attempts a game. 

We don't? :o

Hopefully he does become Ainge's best pick, seeing as how he went 3rd on Thursday, but he's nowhere near Rondo in terms of talent - not even close, imo - and I also think that you're really underrating Big Al.  In fairness to Brown, however, there aren't many guys who are as talented as Rondo.  Maybe we should pump the brakes ;).

I honestly don't want Lebron and his ball hogging ways.  It's like Wilt Chamberlain to me.  Love was nearly invisible because of Lebron's style of play.  Westbrook is the same kind of player.  I'd rather build a team with 5 guys who can all contribute.  Larry, MChale, Parish were all able to do that with Ainge and Dj.  So were Russell, Cousy, Heinsohn etc.  Pierce, Ray and Garnett.  I think teams like that are much more difficult to stop. Lebron is not the perfect player.  He has his drawbacks.  His record in the finals is still telling as well. When he gets up against great competition he is very beatable.

Chamberlain had his own issues.  He had an allstar team just like Russell but wasn't as good.  Sorry. Lebron is overrated the same way.

I don't blame the media. I just think the media perception is what it is.  It doesn't mean it's right or absolute.  There are other ways and better ways to do things.  A lot of people think the media is reality. They aren't educated in other ways and a lot of it is ignorance.  The media will run with what sells a lot of the time.  It's slanted that way.

The Celtics on the other hand do things their way.  A lot of people in general are ignorant to how the Celtics actually do things. 

I hear it myself with people who don't even know me or how I think. Especially on the internet.  What people think isn't reality sometimes.

The Celtics as an organization have 17 titles in their history. More than any other team.   They are pretty good.

That's not to say I wouldn't take Lebron under the right situation either.  He's a great player and human like anyone else.  I think right now though he is doing things his way and it's not in the cards. It's still too much about him right now imo.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:34:06 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 08:48:55 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
jordan is a great player too but didn't win anything until Bird and Magic were gray and old.  Bird was retired I think before Jordan won his first title.  Even jordan had his flaws imo.  The best teams of all time are still those Lakers and Celtics teams imo. That was the height of NBA greatness.  Jordan was a great individual player but his team was built around him and Pippen and roleplayers. 

The Celtics historically when they have won have had much more well rounded teams where a lot of different guys contribute and put up numbers. 

They have more titles than any other team doing it that way so apparently something there works.

The media perception usually is you gotta do this or that.  Or no way Russell beats Chamberlain.  No way Russell is as good.  That's just the way it goes.  Maybe they are missing something there? Like Russell was pretty good and did things on the court Chamberlain didn't?

I don't really care if Chamberlain averaged 80 ppg.  That's absurd but even still. That just goes to show how great Russell and the Celtics were.

He lost to us.  This guy that people said was that good.  Quite a few times.

Doesn't that make what Russell and the Celtics did even more impressive? It does in my eyes.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:32:40 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 09:32:48 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Thing is I don't even hate lebron.  If he wants to come here and prove all the haters wrong great but I just don't think it's in the cards.  He would want too much control over this team as it stands.  I don't think he would choose to come here either. I don't think our team is set up to his liking and giving the amount of control he would want isn't what we are trying to do either.    Per usual it would probably be more him than us.  That's just who he is.

I think Jaylen was picked because as it stands we don't have that star player but he's a guy Stevens really likes and is going to play the style we want.  Jaylen to me gives us someone who can counter Lebron.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:47:45 PM by walker834 »