Author Topic: Delonte West...sad, sad story  (Read 4312 times)

Re: Delonte West...sad, sad story
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 03:34:28 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Everybody ought to be prouder of Delonte than ever. But because he's already been categorized as mentally ill, this act of kindness is being perceived as an alarming symptom. Misperceived, grossly. By people convinced they are so much more fundamentally able to perceive reality than Delonte that they have the standing to judge his mental functioning as diseased. Please keep an eye out for this phenomenon in your personal lives.

As an aside, I imagine most of you were raised to admire Jesus, whose family once sought to involuntarily confine him indoors because he was said to have gone insane. [Mark 3.21] Gotta wonder how you would've reacted later upon seeing him in the neighborhood perform his unorthodox mitzvahs and whatnot. Sad? Hate to see him like that? Would you have wished to free him from the demon of mental illness? Not snark. Serious, honest curiosity.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 03:58:27 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Everybody ought to be prouder of Delonte than ever. But because he's already been categorized as mentally ill, this act of kindness is being perceived as an alarming symptom. Misperceived, grossly. By people convinced they are so much more fundamentally able to perceive reality than Delonte that they have the standing to judge his mental functioning as diseased. Please keep an eye out for this phenomenon in your personal lives.

As an aside, I imagine most of you were raised to admire Jesus, whose family once sought to involuntarily confine him indoors because he was said to have gone insane. [Mark 3.21] Gotta wonder how you would've reacted later upon seeing him in the neighborhood perform his unorthodox mitzvahs and whatnot. Sad? Hate to see him like that? Would you have wished to free him from the demon of mental illness? Not snark. Serious, honest curiosity.

Man, you have got to be a troll. Delonte has serious issues and we are not making that judgment because He admitted as much!

I just hope somebody close to him steps in and helps him.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 04:25:13 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Man, you have got to be a troll. Delonte has serious issues and we are not making that judgment because He admitted as much!

I just hope somebody close to him steps in and helps him.

The question is not whether Delonte has had serious issues. He has. It's whether this act of kindness is a serious issue, a sign that he is disconnected and unstable right now. Perhaps you don't understand how a casual, reflexive consensus that he's mentally ill right now might affect Delonte's life. He could be involuntarily committed and forcibly medicated. Even if he's not mentally ill right now, that could happen. If enough people think he's crazy again. You'd think that the health care and legal systems would provide a safeguard against such a thing, but I've known more than one person who's been unjustifiably pink-slipped. Doctors are not immune to groupthink and confirmation bias. You don't get anything resembling due process in the loony bin, either. It's a brutal experience from what I've seen and I would not wish it upon anyone. That's what stepping in and helping when there's no good reason to can lead to, though. It's no ****ing joke, and I'm not a troll.

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 04:51:25 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Boo freaking hoo!

Most of us have no natural talent or the acumen to earn us millions of dollars right off the bat and neither were we equipped with that genetic lottery to sail us through life with little to no problem.  He came into the world with all of that, having to do very little to nothing to get to where he got.  And he blew it.  He f'ing blew it!  Don't blame it on some brain disease.  He wouldn't have made it that far to begin with if that was the case. 

People like you are monsters.  Yea, I said it.  You advocate for people like these, in the name of some altruism, who has sailed through life all their lives, having to deal with little to no problem, when you have your average Joe who didn't didn't have the genetic lottery shaking cups for change on the street.  I've been homeless and have starved before and I don't remember having much before that.  I know that life.

No, I don't have sympathy for him.  People like you are apathetic to people who are really going to the roughs but would advocate on behalf of some celebrity. 

This thread disgust me.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:12:56 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 05:05:39 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
So he was helping a homeless guy? Can't people just say, " that's a nice thing to do."?  How many people wouldn't help?

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 05:09:04 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I'd love to be rich too and super talented but do people think he WANTED to blow everything? Obviously not. Pain is relative. I wish people could just live by 1 commandment. " Dont be a d$&k."

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 05:18:07 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Calling people monsters. Lol. That's just hilarious. Depression is real and can be absolutely crippling. Rich and poor alike.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 05:19:31 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
So he was helping a homeless guy? Can't people just say, " that's a nice thing to do."?  How many people wouldn't help?

You know what they say, "no good deed goes unpunished"
I'm bitter.

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 05:26:54 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Boo freaking hoo!

Most of us have no natural talent or the acumen to earn us millions of dollars right off the bat and neither were we equipped with that genetic lottery to sail us through life with little to no problem.  He came into the world with all of that, having to do very little to nothing to get to where he got.  And he blew it.  He f'ing blew it.  Don't blame it on some brain disease.  He wouldn't have made it that far to begin with if that was the case. 

People like you are monsters.  Yea, I said it.  You advocate for people like these, in the name of altruism, who has sailed through life all their lives, having to deal with little to no problem, when you have your average Joe who didn't didn't have the genetic lottery this man has and they are begging for change on the street.  I've been homeless and have starved before and I don't remember having much before that but I dug deep and came up with extra strength to make something out of it all. 

No, I don't have sympathy for him.  People like you are apathetic to people who are really going to the roughs but would advocate on behalf of some celebrity. 

This thread disgust me.

I'm not exactly sure how or what to respond to there. I get the sense you missed my points entirely. You yourself also seem to be lacking a little peace. Have you tried meditating, talk therapy, exercise, healthy diet, hobbies? I've been homeless and starving, too. It didn't erode my sense of compassion for other human beings, though. It did the exact opposite. It's great that you got your **** together. Me, too. Yay, us. It's a bummer that you didn't fully climb out of that trench of bitterness that being homeless puts you in. You got calloused. That blows. But I get it. It coulda been me, too. I'm lucky, I'm a permanent optimist. You should revisit your bad times from a humbler vantage point, man. You didn't ever want more mercy back then? As long as I can find someone in the world whose predicament was worse than yours, then your struggles don't deserve anyone's sympathy? Realize some people's brains are ****ed up beyond their control, from birth or bad upbringings or both, to a point where they sometimes ruin their lives. You ought to know as well as I do that those people comprise somewhere between one to two thirds of the homeless population, depending on where you're sheltered. Most of those people didn't have affluent childhoods or earn multimillion dollar sports paychecks. They just went crazy at the wrong time and never recovered. Their craziness then goes untreated and worse gets compounded by the inherently-crazymaking lives homeless people are forced to live. But you know all this. So, have a heart, yeah?

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 05:40:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Boo freaking hoo!

Most of us have no natural talent or the acumen to earn us millions of dollars right off the bat and neither were we equipped with that genetic lottery to sail us through life with little to no problem.  He came into the world with all of that, having to do very little to nothing to get to where he got.  And he blew it.  He f'ing blew it.  Don't blame it on some brain disease.  He wouldn't have made it that far to begin with if that was the case. 

People like you are monsters.  Yea, I said it.  You advocate for people like these, in the name of altruism, who has sailed through life all their lives, having to deal with little to no problem, when you have your average Joe who didn't didn't have the genetic lottery this man has and they are begging for change on the street.  I've been homeless and have starved before and I don't remember having much before that but I dug deep and came up with extra strength to make something out of it all. 

This thread disgust me.

I'm not exactly sure how or what to respond to there. I get the sense you missed my points entirely. You yourself also seem to be lacking a little peace. Have you tried meditating, talk therapy, exercise, healthy diet, hobbies? I've been homeless and starving, too. It didn't erode my sense of compassion for other human beings, though. It did the exact opposite. It's great that you got your **** together. Me, too. Yay, us. It's a bummer that you didn't fully climb out of that trench of bitterness that being homeless puts you in. You got calloused. That blows. But I get it. It coulda been me, too. I'm lucky, I'm a permanent optimist. You should revisit your bad times from a humbler vantage point, man. You didn't ever want more mercy back then? As long as I can find someone in the world whose predicament was worse than yours, then your struggles don't deserve anyone's sympathy? Realize some people's brains are ****ed up beyond their control, from birth or bad upbringings or both, to a point where they sometimes ruin their lives. You ought to know as well as I do that those people comprise somewhere between one to two thirds of the homeless population, depending on where you're sheltered. Most of those people didn't have affluent childhoods or earn multimillion dollar sports paychecks. They just went crazy at the wrong time and never recovered. Their craziness then goes untreated and worse gets compounded by the inherently-crazymaking lives homeless people are forced to live. But you know all this. So, have a heart, yeah?

I am glad to hear that both of you have been able to get out of some very scary and difficult life positions and get into a better place. Seems like a great common point to focus on rather than some of the different viewpoints..

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 05:44:07 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Boo freaking hoo!

Most of us have no natural talent or the acumen to earn us millions of dollars right off the bat and neither were we equipped with that genetic lottery to sail us through life with little to no problem.  He came into the world with all of that, having to do very little to nothing to get to where he got.  And he blew it.  He f'ing blew it!  Don't blame it on some brain disease.  He wouldn't have made it that far to begin with if that was the case. 

People like you are monsters.  Yea, I said it.  You advocate for people like these, in the name of some altruism, who has sailed through life all their lives, having to deal with little to no problem, when you have your average Joe who didn't didn't have the genetic lottery shaking cups for change on the street.  I've been homeless and have starved before and I don't remember having much before that.  I know that life.

This thread disgust me.
Some people do ignore, deny, or make light of mental illness.  I am not sure this particular article says anything about Delonte's mental health, but bipolar disorder (i think the diagnosis he mentioned in the past) is monumentally difficult to live with.  It's impossible (by definition) to manage life normally with this illness. 

No need to get angry at others' compassion or a perspective that's different from your own.   I believe in mental illness -- I believe it's real and can be brutally impactful; you dont have to.   Doesn't  make either of us wrong.   But it is possible (i guess) to both win AND lose the genetic lottery. That may be Delonte West in a nutshell.

That said, i hope this article was more about Delonte's compassion than about mental illness.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 05:45:29 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I am glad to hear that both of you have been able to get out of some very scary and difficult life positions and get into a better place. Seems like a great common point to focus on rather than some of the different viewpoints.

Thanks but I'm going to have to object to portraying this as a matter of differing viewpoints. I'm right. He's not. It's on him to wake up.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 05:46:42 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Boo freaking hoo!

This thread disgust me.

As some one who deals with mild depression, you sir are a Donkey.

It's not something you just brush off and over come because you're gifted and can make money. I've been trying to become an illustrator for quite some time, but my depression gets in the way. there are days I just want to curl up on the couch and veg and have no motivation. Then there are the days I can't wait to get to the drawing board or the computer and crank out a bunch of work. But the bad days keep me for being consistent, and that's what keeps the gigs coming in.

If it wasn't for my wife I don't know were I'd be, if it wasn't for my daughter and that bright spot in my life, I don't know what I'd become.

I get how some one can blow it all. When I'm down, I want to spend money, but stupid stuff because for that short moment it dose. I've scraped the bottom of the barrel being in dept because of it. And I've come out of because I've had the right support. And yes I do have moments were I'll spurge on some thing because it makes me feel a little better( right now it's those funko pop figures, can't get enough of those little #$#$#er's, LOL). So I see how people can self destruct no matter what they've been given or worked for, it can easily go crumbing down fast, and it's VERY hard to catch up when it does.

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 05:52:09 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Let's not let a brief detour into donkeytown where we have to insist on the fact that mental illness is a thing which actually exists or the moral fact that we should feel sympathy for crazy homeless people distract us from the point that there is absolutely no evidence of Delonte West being mentally ill right now except for what appears to be nothing but a soul-stirring praiseworthy act of kindness.

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 06:14:45 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Boo freaking hoo!

This thread disgust me.

The fact is this...if this thread 'disgust' you so, simple solution GO ON TO THE NEXT! Who cares what YOU think or what your ill advised selfish, careless opinions are! It's obvious why you don't have sympathy..because you're seeking sympathy for your past or current problems and "Oh how can you MONSTERS feel sympathy for a celebrity who had it all when no one cared about ME an average Joe when I was homeless and hungry!" Obviously you've picked yourself up out the gutter now tell YOUR story to someone who cares! It's CLOWNS like you that make it hard for those that have real issues in life. Real life, real problems, doesn't always necessarily have to do with how much money you have!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"