Author Topic: Al Horford Drawing Interest From Teams Including Boston  (Read 2826 times)

Al Horford Drawing Interest From Teams Including Boston
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:20:10 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/al-horford-expected-draw-free-agent-interest-boston-celtics

1. Other teams are the Hawks, Lakers, Rockets, Magic, Pistons, Wizards, and Nets. (Wait... The Nets!?   :o :laugh: )

2. Note: The Celtics are the only team mentioned here who have a meeting set up with Durant.

3. A little surprising that the Hawks could gain traction in the Durant sweepstakes (they want to set up a meeting with him as well, though who wouldn't in the NBA honestly).

4. Is it possible to meet Horford and Durant at NYC same day, same time to convince them  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Al Horford Drawing Interest From Teams Including Boston
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2716
The Pistons are an interesting option for Horford. He would look great next to Drummond.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 01:27:05 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
The Pistons are an interesting option for Horford. He would look great next to Drummond.

that would be a major improvement, they sign a star with a defensive center to pair with Horford. Exciting backcourt.

But I hope he comes here so we can lure Durant :D

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 01:35:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Only great players deserve a max deal.

I agree with Tommy, Horford is not a great player. 

To sign him as bait to get Durant would be super dumb.  To sign him the same time we sign Durant (and Durant signs as a condition to signing Horford) would be super smart.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:45:10 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't see a match in Atlanta for Durant--because of Millsap.

With Teague gone, Horford probably won't re-sign there. They are going after Howard, which maybe tells you that.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 03:47:01 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

To sign him as bait to get Durant would be super dumb.  To sign him the same time we sign Durant (and Durant signs as a condition to signing Horford) would be super smart.

All FAs will be grossly overvalued. Why? Because the money is there, thanks to TNT, ESPN, etc.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 03:53:56 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Whether you like the price or not, Durant is NOT signing with this Celtics roster, despite all the hyperbole about it on this board.

There's nothing here as of today he can win a title with.

So someone's going to have to open the checkbook and actually produce some fireworks instead of prattling incessantly about it, or Kevin Durant will go elsewhere.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 03:55:51 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29

All FAs will be grossly overvalued. Why? Because the money is there, thanks to TNT, ESPN, etc.

WRONG !!!  Thanks to you and all others who are getting fleeced on their cable bills year after year. 

I never understood the logic, "oh it's the owners money".  Where do you think he is getting it from?

TV deals - you pay for via increasing cable bills
tickets - you pay for

The players are making millions and millions on your backs.  Wake up.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 03:56:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think he'd look worse. Horford can make all the noise about wanting to play PF he wants but he's a C and thrives as a C.

Obviously a great piece to add for Detroit, but Horford's own numbers could easily suffer moving to PF for the majority of his minutes.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 04:01:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

WRONG !!!  Thanks to you and all others who are getting fleeced on their cable bills year after year. 

I never understood the logic, "oh it's the owners money".  Where do you think he is getting it from?

TV deals - you pay for via increasing cable bills
tickets - you pay for

The players are making millions and millions on your backs.  Wake up.
I mean the TV money is what it is. Feel free to not consume the product anymore. Players are getting what they are worth in the end based on the CBA.

When it comes to the basketball side of things drastically overvalued by what metric? Its all about how much salary cap space they take up, the raw dollar figures are just noise for us fans.

I mean obviously the ideal FA is a max FA who produces at an MVP level (LeBron/KD/etc) but cannot be paid more than the max so he produces huge surplus value of "play" to cap space.

But there are only 5 to 10 players (usually less than 10) in the league who have that potential. Most free agents and teams literally cannot get that sort fo deal. That doesn't mean other max FAs who aren't bargains are overpaid.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 04:06:38 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Yooooooo...isn't that the second "only the Celtics" factoid? 1. Only the Celtics have a KD meeting and two max slots. 2. Only the Celtics have a KD meeting and a Horford meeting. I've mostly steered clear from Durant daydreams, but that's...uh, interesting, no? If that were another team instead of us, wouldn't we be like, "Well, duh, of course they're the favorites"? Plus the fun factor, the family factor, the tradition, the fan factor. Plus the Ainge factor, and the Stevens factor. Plus a big ol' stash of intriguing prospects (about 2/3 of the roster are prospects lol) and luscious picks to keep the roster continually stocked during his prime.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 04:37:09 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2955
We really need to keep all of these free agency rumors in one thread. It's hard to follow all of them when there's numerous different threads about them.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 04:39:44 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Yooooooo...isn't that the second "only the Celtics" factoid? 1. Only the Celtics have a KD meeting and two max slots. 2. Only the Celtics have a KD meeting and a Horford meeting. I've mostly steered clear from Durant daydreams, but that's...uh, interesting, no? If that were another team instead of us, wouldn't we be like, "Well, duh, of course they're the favorites"? Plus the fun factor, the family factor, the tradition, the fan factor. Plus the Ainge factor, and the Stevens factor. Plus a big ol' stash of intriguing prospects (about 2/3 of the roster are prospects lol) and luscious picks to keep the roster continually stocked during his prime.
He wants to win now he doesn't care about future assets. Horford is not that good there are better players on all these other teams he's got meetings with. Our best things going is our coach and being in the east theres a slightly easier path to the finals. I don't think that's enough.

Btw if he wanted to play with Horford so bad why wouldn't he go to Atlanta?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Whether you like the price or not, Durant is NOT signing with this Celtics roster, despite all the hyperbole about it on this board.

There's nothing here as of today he can win a title with.

So someone's going to have to open the checkbook and actually produce some fireworks instead of prattling incessantly about it, or Kevin Durant will go elsewhere.

I don't know why you would say that. If you take our current roster and add just Durant, we instantly become the 4th best team in the league.

Durant knows we would still have a max slot and a bunch of great draft choices left to work with, and he knows we are dramatically more attractive to free agents if he is on the roster than if he hasn't signed on yet.

He won't sign with us unless he is impressed with our front office and trusts that it can do what OKC couldn't; close the deal. We would be two quality bigs away from being the favorite. With Durant in tow, I don't see that as being a stretch at all. We're the only franchise chasing him with a quality team, and room for improvement

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 05:22:44 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213
He wants to win now he doesn't care about future assets. Horford is not that good there are better players on all these other teams he's got meetings with. Our best things going is our coach and being in the east theres a slightly easier path to the finals. I don't think that's enough.

Btw if he wanted to play with Horford so bad why wouldn't he go to Atlanta?

Atlanta WITH Horford is about as good as we are WITHOUT him.  Adding Durant and Horford to the Celtics would make a better team than adding Durant to the Hawks, ESPECIALLY after they traded Teague
I'm bitter.