Author Topic: Note - options on Amir and Jerebko due Thursday  (Read 14088 times)

Re: Note - options on Amir and Jerebko due Thursday
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2016, 08:16:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It means we are going to give it a go but Ainge is preparing for us striking out.

A GMs due diligence.

« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2016, 08:35:05 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Amir and JJ being really cool about this... We can fit two 9year vets max deals with both JJ and Amir getting their deal, but not a 9-year and a 10-year. Could also have implications for Evan Turner.

If we strike out on Durant, I wouldn't mind giving Turner a 1-year deal of 10mill, and having another building year with rookies Brown, Bentil, Rozier, RJ and yes, James Young getting minutes.

Also LOL at Goodman saying "the Celtics have agreed"... Pretty sure he means Amir and JJ's agents' have agreed..
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:42:10 PM by trickybilly »
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2016, 08:35:08 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
Celtics have agreed to amend the guarantee date for both Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko to July 7 instead of July 3, per source.

Sweet, this would be good if true.

I didn't know that was possible. lol

« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2016, 08:41:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
From Eric Pincus, who I trust almost as much as Larry Coon: "Most contract language says 'waived by' not cleared by".

I think we're safe in assuming that we'll have until midnight Saturday it seems or so. Not sure if we have Sunday to make the decision as well, but not going to push it.
This obviously means that Danny has some idea that two max level free agents are going to be giving him definitive answers sometime between the 3rd and 7th and he is keeping his options open. Given the timetables for some of the meetings for the max level crowd, this seems like good news. Things definitely looked to be getting close.

« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2016, 09:06:03 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
From Eric Pincus, who I trust almost as much as Larry Coon: "Most contract language says 'waived by' not cleared by".

I think we're safe in assuming that we'll have until midnight Saturday it seems or so. Not sure if we have Sunday to make the decision as well, but not going to push it.
This obviously means that Danny has some idea that two max level free agents are going to be giving him definitive answers sometime between the 3rd and 7th and he is keeping his options open. Given the timetables for some of the meetings for the max level crowd, this seems like good news. Things definitely looked to be getting close.

Well, there are some things at play here, particularly the importance of July 7th.

This year, the Moratorium period was shortened, which means that the Celtics can trade players once again after July 6, as opposed to previous years where it was July 10. This is a measure that was put in place just recently, so that's probably a reason to negotiate this date.

Another thing that as I was discussing with someone was brought to my attention, is that Amir and Jerebko would most definitely be claimed off waivers by some team. So no matter what happens, Amir and Jerebko have no chance of playing the FA game.

What this further means is that if Ainge releases them, Amir and Jerebko run the risk of being claimed by a bad team.

So the extension give a further opportunity to still be with the Cs this season, it also gives Ainge the chance to trade them to a more desired destination if need be.

With these issues in mind, I'm surprised it wasn't extended even further. But, the July 7 is key since once all the verbal agreements are in place, it gives us one final opportunity to trade them. I'm assuming though that the July 7 date simply means that they can be released on that same day as opposed to released by date (which would mean we'd have to release them on July 6).

But we'll see. In all, there's a lot of particulars on why it would make sense to extend the deadline for all parties involved.

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2016, 09:10:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Well, there are some things at play here, particularly the importance of July 7th.

This year, the Moratorium period was shortened, which means that the Celtics can trade players once again after July 6, as opposed to previous years where it was July 10. This is a measure that was put in place just recently, so that's probably a reason to negotiate this date.

Another thing that as I was discussing with someone was brought to my attention, is that Amir and Jerebko would most definitely be claimed off waivers by some team. So no matter what happens, Amir and Jerebko have no chance of playing the FA game.

What this further means is that if Ainge releases them, Amir and Jerebko run the risk of being claimed by a bad team.

So the extension give a further opportunity to still be with the Cs this season, it also gives Ainge the chance to trade them to a more desired destination if need be.

With these issues in mind, I'm surprised it wasn't extended even further. But, the July 7 is key since once all the verbal agreements are in place, it gives us one final opportunity to trade them. I'm assuming though that the July 7 date simply means that they can be released on that same day as opposed to released by date (which would mean we'd have to release them on July 6).

But we'll see. In all, there's a lot of particulars on why it would make sense to extend the deadline for all parties involved.
Wasn't aware the moratoriun was moved up to the 6th. Interesting. TP for that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:25:10 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2016, 09:12:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

While I'm not positive about this specific case, normally guarantees are reported as the day by which players are guaranteed.  So Amir and JJ would guarantee at 12:00 am on July 7th, the same time the league moratorium ends.  Accordingly, they couldn't be claimed.

« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2016, 09:17:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

While I'm not positive about this specific case, normally guarantees are reported as the day by which players are guaranteed.  So Amir and JJ would guarantee at 12:00 am on July 7th, the same time the league moratorium ends.  Accordingly, they couldn't be claimed.

Yeah, I was well on my way to writing the post, so I had to put some amendments at the end lol as I was thinking things through. Thought it would be a good thought exercise regardless.

Edit: What do you mean by "couldn't be claimed"?

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2016, 09:22:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Yeah, I was well on my way to writing the post, so I had to put some amendments at the end lol as I was thinking things through. Thought it would be a good thought exercise regardless.

Couldn't be claimed on waivers by another team on July 7th, and would thus be free agents if waived.

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2016, 09:30:33 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Couldn't be claimed on waivers by another team on July 7th, and would thus be free agents if waived.

A couple of questions to try and make sense. Do you mean if they're cut after moratorium, there's no 48 hour period?

Or are you giving special importance for the date that their contract become guaranteed and the timing by which the Cs can manage to release them?

I'm just curious about why the 48 hour period would not be in place. In all the CBA things, this is my weakest part.

« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I hope we can upgrade over them. They played well but we need more talent.

« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2016, 09:52:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I hope we can upgrade over them. They played well but we need more talent.

TP........good guys but we need top talent to compete .

It may take four max contract to compete now . ....

Look what Clevelend spent to,win.

« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2016, 09:55:26 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

But the meeting with KD is on Monday thee 4th right? So isn't Danny allowing 2 days for KD to get back to him before the deals guarantee (at midnight)

« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2016, 10:04:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

But the meeting with KD is on Monday thee 4th right? So isn't Danny allowing 2 days for KD to get back to him before the deals guarantee (at midnight)

Meeting is Saturday.

« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2016, 10:17:21 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

Meeting is Saturday.
Arghghg! I still don't get it then. They can't be traded anyway before July 7 and  if you're saying that they can't be traded anyway before their deals guarantee with the new guarantee date, starting 12.00am on the 7th, what difference does it make? Or can you claim a waived player in the moratorium?