Author Topic: Note - options on Amir and Jerebko due Thursday  (Read 14138 times)

Re: Note - options on Amir and Jerebko due Thursday
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2016, 09:58:51 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Celtics salary cap situation:
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/240096/The-Maximum-Available-2016-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams

NBA salary cap this year is $89,000,000

So according to the article the Celtics have $53,397,958 cap dollars available.

I'm not sure how the contract juggling works, but I'm pretty sure that cap space is if we don't pick up Amir and Jerebko.  Though they do have very useful contracts, I'm not sure if we will retain them if we really are getting 2 max free agents.

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2016, 10:06:11 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/240096/The-Maximum-Available-2016-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams

I'm not sure how the contract juggling works, but I'm pretty sure that cap space is if we don't pick up Amir and Jerebko.  Though they do have very useful contracts, I'm not sure if we will retain them if we really are getting 2 max free agents.

That article is very outdated.  The cap is now up to 94m plus their calculations couldn't include cap holds for our draft picks since it was written before draft order was set.

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

That article is very outdated.  The cap is now up to 94m plus their calculations couldn't include cap holds for our draft picks since it was written before draft order was set.

basketball reference has updated their salary page with Zeller and Sully's QO already.

Sitting at 52mill at the moment. It assumes the JJ Amir money becomes gauranteed (minus Jaylen ~3.8mill cap hold).

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2016, 10:30:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I've been having some discussions on the "waived by" date, and for now I'm going to go back to my general position that I don't really buy what the FAQ says and how it applies to this situation.

It seems that it's possible that the trigger date can have different meaning depending on the language and terms of the contract.

It's also possible, to facillitate understanding, that the information that was provided to the mass media was simply the waived by (or waived on) date, instead of the date that the player would've to have cleared waivers by.

So with that in mind, I'm going to keep my earlier stance and understanding that we have at least until midnight Saturday to make a decision on Amir and Jerebko as it's been the general understanding since a year ago when the contract was signed. I'll wait for some higher authority to shed more light on this until then, that will be my stance for now.

It's worth pointing out that this discussion based on the CBA FAQ doesn't really specifically address this situation, merely a similar one (but not identical) and we're jumping to conclusions making assumptions upon it.

Then again, there still exists the possibility that the "trigger date" that has been publicized is not necessarily the one printed on the contract, again, just to make things simple to understand to the public (waived on is easier to understand than cleared waivers by).

If I learn more, I'll post it here.

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2016, 10:46:45 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I've been having some discussions on the "waived by" date, and for now I'm going to go back to my general position that I don't really buy what the FAQ says and how it applies to this situation.

It seems that it's possible that the trigger date can have different meaning depending on the language and terms of the contract.

It's also possible, to facillitate understanding, that the information that was provided to the mass media was simply the waived by (or waived on) date, instead of the date that the player would've to have cleared waivers by.

So with that in mind, I'm going to keep my earlier stance and understanding that we have at least until midnight Saturday to make a decision on Amir and Jerebko as it's been the general understanding since a year ago when the contract was signed. I'll wait for some higher authority to shed more light on this until then, that will be my stance for now.

It's worth pointing out that this discussion based on the CBA FAQ doesn't really specifically address this situation, merely a similar one (but not identical) and we're jumping to conclusions making assumptions upon it.

Then again, there still exists the possibility that the "trigger date" that has been publicized is not necessarily the one printed on the contract, again, just to make things simple to understand to the public (waived on is easier to understand than cleared waivers by).

If I learn more, I'll post it here.

Thanks Bud.  I think what you wrote above makes the most sense.

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2016, 12:33:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
From Eric Pincus, who I trust almost as much as Larry Coon: "Most contract language says 'waived by' not cleared by".

I think we're safe in assuming that we'll have until midnight Saturday it seems or so. Not sure if we have Sunday to make the decision as well, but not going to push it.

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2016, 12:42:03 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
From Eric Pincus, who I trust almost as much as Larry Coon: "Most contract language says 'waived by' not cleared by".

I think we're safe in assuming that we'll have until midnight Saturday it seems or so. Not sure if we have Sunday to make the decision as well, but not going to push it.
It has always been generally assumed since they signed their contracts last summer that we had until midnight on the 3rd to make a decision on them. 

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

It has always been generally assumed since they signed their contracts last summer that we had until midnight on the 3rd to make a decision on them.

That would make sense, I can't imagine Mike Zarren getting caught with his pants down on contract language
I'm bitter.

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2016, 12:44:24 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I'll wait and see if it's by July 3 or on July 3. We should know more as it comes along, but at least I'm confident that we should've gotten key meetings by the time we need to make the decision.

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2016, 07:53:16 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
Celtics have agreed to amend the guarantee date for both Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko to July 7 instead of July 3, per source.

Sweet, this would be good if true.

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2016, 07:58:21 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Celtics have agreed to amend the guarantee date for both Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko to July 7 instead of July 3, per source.

Ayy let's goooo!

I'm assuming they needed to get a thumbs up from amir and jonas right?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2016, 08:07:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Ayy let's goooo!

I'm assuming they needed to get a thumbs up from amir and jonas right?

"Have agreed" implies that Amir and Jonas have given the thumbs up.

Presumably Amir and Jonas agreed because the Celtics promised to release them rather than trade them if they end up needing the cap room.  Decision day is now pushed back to Monday, which should be in time for the major decisions to have been reached regarding Horford, Durant, and Howard.  And it gives those two the opportunity to sign a new deal this summer rather than being traded, should the Celtics need their salary off the books.

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2016, 08:08:17 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Moving the deadline is good for both parties. It gives the C's time to see if they can bring in Durant, Horford or Howard. If the C's need the space for two max players then they won't pick up their options.

For Jerebko and Amir, going into free agency later could mean that the marquee free agents are spoken for and there are a lot of teams with money left looking to spend it.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2016, 08:13:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Maybe a mod should update the title of this thread?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2016, 08:16:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It means we are going to give it a go but Ainge is preparing for us striking out.