Author Topic: Note - options on Amir and Jerebko due Thursday  (Read 14057 times)

Re: Note - options on Amir and Jerebko due Thursday
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2016, 09:46:37 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Jerebko is a good deal and I doubt we can find a better one year value contract in this free agency season. Someone might take Amir off our hands, but it's also possible we need to give up another asset to unload him if we find ourselves in a pickle.

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Amir and JJ are both on very affordable one year contracts giving teams who strike out in this free agency (or don't quite get everything they want) to give it a strong go next year.

I think we are going to be blown away by some of the contracts given out this off-season - not necessarily the max-level ones, but the 1 and 1 contracts where very average players make huge amounts of money for a single season. Even the salary floor is exploding, so there is no reason for teams not to spend up to it and then have even more absurd amounts of money to spend next off-season.

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2016, 10:04:57 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Both these options will be steals compared to the market.  That is for sure.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2016, 10:13:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Having steals on one-year deals without managing to acquire top talent is meaningless. You're better off putting yourself in the optimum position to draw two maximum players. The opportunity cost is much higher retaining Jerebko and Amir than letting them go and make due with whatever happens.

Now, if you tell me we had Amir and Jerebko signed on these contracts for few years more, then that's something valuable because we can build around that. But for a marginal improvement on the roster for one year at the risk of complicating the potential acquisition of two max players it's simply not worth it.

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2016, 10:14:55 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Please decline them both.  Please.

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2016, 10:37:01 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Why Pick up options on these guys when there are far better options in Free agency? Makes zero sense.

Johnson is a dime a dozen and Jerebko is a JAG.
Value of their contracts.

Yeah, I can't imagine Amir's contract is a dime a dozen given where salaries are headed under this new inflated cap structure.

Talent-wise, there certainly could be better options out there.  Not necessarily from a contract standpoint, though.

Since when are we rooting for contracts?
Johnson cannot play 40 minutes and Jerebko is a borderline nba player who cannot play D or run the floor much like Olynyk.

Clear the space

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2016, 10:39:33 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton

Having steals on one-year deals without managing to acquire top talent is meaningless. You're better off putting yourself in the optimum position to draw two maximum players. The opportunity cost is much higher retaining Jerebko and Amir than letting them go and make due with whatever happens.

Now, if you tell me we had Amir and Jerebko signed on these contracts for few years more, then that's something valuable because we can build around that. But for a marginal improvement on the roster for one year at the risk of complicating the potential acquisition of two max players it's simply not worth it.

Thank you

Several of these fringe Celtic players have one good game and many on this board are hanging their jersey in the rafters

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2016, 10:42:21 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee

This is sooo true. I wish I had more TPs to give.

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2016, 10:43:58 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I don't think we are going to get any big players.  Sorry to be negative.  I would love Durant.  You guys are saying I'm a homer with our players but I just think Durant signs back in OKC for a year and Horford goes back to ATL.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2016, 10:46:18 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
You can always make a trade to upgrade.

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2016, 11:06:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I don't think we are going to get any big players.  Sorry to be negative.  I would love Durant.  You guys are saying I'm a homer with our players but I just think Durant signs back in OKC for a year and Horford goes back to ATL.

That's all besides the point. You don't cut off your legs on the opportunity to be in play just to keep 2 players that are easily replaceable on one year contracts. More than that, their inclusion would be in the end meaningless in the scheme of things. No big upgrade in talent, the team doesn't go anywhere this season... so no need to bother keeping these two players regardless of the scenario all told.

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2016, 11:12:37 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Yeah, and passing on available talent in the first round, especially, is worse than either of those options, imo.  Ugh.  At least we'd have a couple more talented guys for next year in the likely event that no one comes here, but noooooo ::).

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2016, 11:20:44 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616

Sorry, I haven't got a calculator handy, but are you sure that signing JJ and Amir (although letting Zeller and Sully leave, i.e. not even extending them the QO) will not leave enough space to sign two max contracts? Pretty sure our salary sits at around 50mill after guaranteeing JJ and Amir (and not counting Sully or Zeller's QO), Yabu's cap hold doesn't matter coz he is still under contract in EU, not sure about Zizic's sitch.

P.S I really like Horford's game, but paying him 25.3 million dollars hurts, especially when that is all you can pay Durant too (when Durant deserves double that). That being said, you can give Durant a 1 year deal, and re-up him with a long term deal next year when the cap explodes. Also, sucks that Turner doesn't have Bird Rights (as far as I can tell).
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2016, 11:43:29 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Sorry, I haven't got a calculator handy, but are you sure that signing JJ and Amir (although letting Zeller and Sully leave, i.e. not even extending them the QO) will not leave enough space to sign two max contracts? Pretty sure our salary sits at around 50mill after guaranteeing JJ and Amir (and not counting Sully or Zeller's QO), Yabu's cap hold doesn't matter coz he is still under contract in EU, not sure about Zizic's sitch.

P.S I really like Horford's game, but paying him 25.3 million dollars hurts, especially when that is all you can pay Durant too (when Durant deserves double that). That being said, you can give Durant a 1 year deal, and re-up him with a long term deal next year when the cap explodes. Also, sucks that Turner doesn't have Bird Rights (as far as I can tell).

Even if we ultimately stash Yabu and Ante, their cap hold matters. 

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2016, 11:56:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Even if we ultimately stash Yabu and Ante, their cap hold matters.

Actually, "stashing" results in no cap hold. Until a draftee signs his rookie contract, he counts zero towards the cap.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q51

51. What if the team and their drafted player can't agree to a contract? What options does the player have? How long does the team keep his draft rights?

The player's options are limited. What happens depends on a number of factors:

If the player is already under contract to, or signs a contract with a non-NBA team, the team retains the player's draft rights for one year after the player's obligation to the non-NBA team ends. Essentially, the clock stops as long as the player plays pro ball outside the NBA. Players are not included in team salary during the regular season while the player is under contract with a non-NBA team.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 12:03:34 AM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague