Author Topic: Note - options on Amir and Jerebko due Thursday  (Read 14089 times)

Re: Note - options on Amir and Jerebko due Thursday
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Why Pick up options on these guys when there are far better options in Free agency? Makes zero sense.

Johnson is a dime a dozen and Jerebko is a JAG.
Value of their contracts.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 02:50:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Why Pick up options on these guys when there are far better options in Free agency? Makes zero sense.

Yeah, I can't imagine Amir's contract is a dime a dozen given where salaries are headed under this new inflated cap structure.

Talent-wise, there certainly could be better options out there.  Not necessarily from a contract standpoint, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2016, 02:53:02 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Because it's most likely that Ainge had a gentleman's agreement with the agents involved.  Either guy could have signed somewhere else for more money over more years.

Mike

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2016, 02:54:56 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
With the slight possibility that we sign both KD and Al, I think both of those guys are as good as gone.

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2016, 02:55:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

There's really no value in a one year contract really, particularly this early in free-agency.

You're better off simply overpaying someone on a similar deal later on after you have exhausted your options for improvement.

Personally I rather not risk the potential of having enough cap space for 2 max salary players instead of restricting myself to just the one.

Not that there are many players I'm actually interested in using those slots for, but the option is an important one to have.

Amir and Jerebko are inconsequential in the end and easily replaceable.

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 03:06:37 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
With the slight possibility that we sign both KD and Al, I think both of those guys are as good as gone.
If we move on from Amir/Jerebko and don't get KD and Horford it is really going to hurt the on the court product next year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 03:12:48 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
If we move on from Amir/Jerebko and don't get KD and Horford it is really going to hurt the on the court product next year.
It would have to be the same risk that the Suns took last season with LMA. If we miss out on KD and AL, I think Zaza or a resign of Amir should be considered.

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2016, 03:30:03 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

Yeah, I can't imagine Amir's contract is a dime a dozen given where salaries are headed under this new inflated cap structure.

Talent-wise, there certainly could be better options out there.  Not necessarily from a contract standpoint, though.

Right, and if we are able to lure better free agents, it will be easy to dump both of these contracts for second round picks - or better, so there's no risk.  Am I missing something?

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2016, 03:40:48 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The only way we don't pick up both options is if we think we will get Horford and Durant. Even then we could probably find a team to take them on, since they are on reasonable salaries.

Seems to me the danger in picking up their guarantee is that other teams stonewall us knowing that we *need* to move them to add 2 max FAs. (Though attaching the BOS and LAC 2019 #1s would have to be enough to break through that stonewall)

Seems the danger in not guaranteeing is they'd (a) get claimed on waviers or (b) sign elsewhere quicker than we could resign them.

I don't see any prohibition to our not picking up their guarantee, then turning around in 3 weeks (assuming they cleared waivers) and resigning them as non-Bird FAs (though we could only pay 120% of what they made last year).

I don't think you could get all 29 other teams to do that, though.  Just look at the Cavs when they needed space for Lebron.

Actually, I think that relationship with David Griffin could help to clear Jerebko's contract if needed.  Don't they still have the $10 million TPE from Brendan Haywood?  Or the Warriors from the Lee/Wallace swap (that should be ~$5 million)?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2016, 05:26:33 PM »

Offline lefty12

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
If celts expect to win more than 48 games next season - both positions need to be upgraded

The mpg you gave Amir need to be more productive from his replacement

Jerebko mpg can be taken by any number of younger options

You can't keep everybody

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2016, 06:11:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

You can sign other fas or give ziziz, yabu a chance

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2016, 08:27:03 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
We will bring back both. With everybody having space, they're more than good enough to be instantly dumpable if the Durant Hoford Dream scenario does happen.

I guess there's a small chance that Jerebko doesn't come back if we drafted Yabusele to come over immediately and take his place.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2016, 08:39:58 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Yeah, not sure why people are suggesting picking up these guys options.

As if they would command more money on the open market....

You waive them. Pursue who you have to pursue then either sign them for similar salaries or find replacements. No way to you bring them back, then waste an asset trying to dump them on a team if you need to. That's just p--- poor asset management that will eventually turn you into the Knicks.

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2016, 09:02:30 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Nah. You can find journeymen front court players to cover most of what these guys did.

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2016, 09:38:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I love all of these posts claiming the C's can pick up better options in free agency but they have no idea who is actually out there on the market or how much any of those players might cost. It's like free agency is a magical department store where you can get whatever basketball player you want.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008