Author Topic: Lance Stephenson anyone?  (Read 3767 times)

Lance Stephenson anyone?
« on: June 28, 2016, 10:52:06 AM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
I'm pretty much on an island by myself because NONE of these draft picks excite me unless somehow we can get some vets as a result. Bottomline , I think we're 2 more solid scoring options away from being taken seriously in the eastern conference. Obviously Butler would be a better pick but if the top Free agents are unwilling to come to Boston I think we need to pick up some "Bad news bears" type players. Talented but being snubbed because of alleged bad attitudes. Actually Lance played pretty well with memphis. Just a thought. I don't think teams are beating down the door for him and I believe someone like him is realistically a person we can get as opposed to these ridiculous pipe dreams many of you have thinking we can land Top notch Free agent. Please not going to happen.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:27:47 PM by Eric_Suede »

Re: Lance Stephenson anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 10:57:37 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'm pretty much on an island by myself because NONE of these draft picks excite me unless somehow we can get some vets as a result. Bottomline , I think we're 2 more solid scoring options away from being taken seriously in the eastern conference. Obviously Butler would be a better pick but if the top Free agents are unwilling to come to Boston I think we need to pick up some "Bad news bears" type players. Talented but being snubbed because of alleged bad attitudes. Actually Lance played pretty well with memphis. Just a thought. I don't think teams are beating down the door for him and I believe someone like him is realistically a person we get as opposed to these ridiculous pipe dreams many of you have thinking we can land Top notch Free agent. Please not going to happen.

When you're pessimistic, and negative toward other users on this board for having hopes of actually obtaining a high level free agent, then of course you're going to be on an 'island,' by yourself.

Sorry people can dream.

Also Stephenson is the last player Stevens would want to bring in. Sure he played well in Memphis, but he is what he is. A solid two way shooting guard with decent handles, that can't shoot consistently, and is lackadaisical on both ends of the floor at times. Plus annoying Lebron with his antics were cute, but definitely not the smartest thing to do.

Stephenson isn't a true leader, no matter how 'born,' ready he is. George or Granger were always the clear cut leaders or go to guys in the clutch of the Pacers team, and Stephenson couldn't accept that fact. You don't ever want to bring in players where their poisonous, or have anger issues. (Cousins has never explicitly beaten or fought a teammate, except for being frustrated or lashing out verbally, and who hasn't done that at times in a competitive game/sport?)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:04:14 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:26:52 AM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
You're right people can dream. I'm just the type of person who's more realistic. I can't think of a time when a top notch free agent chose to come to Boston. Even with the big 3. Only reason we were able to pull that off (it was a trade not free agent signing with Garnett) was because fortunately Seattle wanted to move forward with their future and blew that team up and gave Ray Allen away for mediocre talent. Dream all you want but give me an example in the last 30 + years when a top notch free agent was like "I'm taking my talents to the Celtics" .. Maybe Nique although he was at the tail end of his career.
 My question is Who's a better alternative? Evan turner is on his way out. Sorry to be negative nancy but Brown is only 19. If he does pan out , I think it'll be 3-4 years down the road. What puts me at odds with many on this forum is the fact i've always been an advocate of getting Veterans. A harmonious blend of good young players and Solid Vets is what constitutes a winning organization. I fail to understand this love affair people (not just C's fans) have with Puppy squads. They don't win. I think we got wayyyy too many "he'll be great in the future" prospects. We need to be veteran minded at this point. I think signing a player like stephenson who is in search for a new home and new start is a step in the right direction.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 11:30:17 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I'm pretty much on an island by myself because NONE of these draft picks excite me unless somehow we can get some vets as a result. Bottomline , I think we're 2 more solid scoring options away from being taken seriously in the eastern conference. Obviously Butler would be a better pick but if the top Free agents are unwilling to come to Boston I think we need to pick up some "Bad news bears" type players. Talented but being snubbed because of alleged bad attitudes. Actually Lance played pretty well with memphis. Just a thought. I don't think teams are beating down the door for him and I believe someone like him is realistically a person we get as opposed to these ridiculous pipe dreams many of you have thinking we can land Top notch Free agent. Please not going to happen.

When you're pessimistic, and negative toward other users on this board for having hopes of actually obtaining a high level free agent, then of course you're going to be on an 'island,' by yourself.

Sorry people can dream.

Also Stephenson is the last player Stevens would want to bring in. Sure he played well in Memphis, but he is what he is. A solid two way shooting guard with decent handles, that can't shoot consistently, and is lackadaisical on both ends of the floor at times. Plus annoying Lebron with his antics were cute, but definitely not the smartest thing to do.

Stephenson isn't a true leader, no matter how 'born,' ready he is. George or Granger were always the clear cut leaders or go to guys in the clutch of the Pacers team, and Stephenson couldn't accept that fact. You don't ever want to bring in players where their poisonous, or have anger issues. (Cousins has never explicitly beaten or fought a teammate, except for being frustrated or lashing out verbally, and who hasn't done that at times in a competitive game/sport?)
Agree with Monks statements...although, I wonder with so many roster spots taken up with rookie type players  if this limits the possibility of bringing in multiple mid-salary impact players. Ideally, Danny signs 2 max salary players. If that doesn't work out does he have the roster flexibility to sign multiple Stevenson-type players? 

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:35:52 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
You're right people can dream. I'm just the type of person who's more realistic. I can't think of a time when a top notch free agent chose to come to Boston. Even with the big 3. Only reason we were able to pull that off (it was a trade not free agent signing with Garnett) was because fortunately Seattle wanted to move forward with their future and blew that team up and gave Ray Allen away for mediocre talent. Dream all you want but give me an example in the last 30 + years when a top notch free agent was like "I'm taking my talents to the Celtics" .. Maybe Nique although he was at the tail end of his career.
 My question is Who's a better alternative? Evan turner is on his way out. Sorry to be negative nancy but Brown is only 19. If he does pan out , I think it'll be 3-4 years down the road. What puts me at odds with many on this forum is the fact i've always been an advocate of getting Veterans. A harmonious blend of good young players and Solid Vets is what constitutes a winning organization. I fail to understand this love affair people (not just C's fans) have with Puppy squads. They don't win. I think we got wayyyy too many "he'll be great in the future" prospects. We need to be veteran minded at this point. I think signing a player like stephenson who is in search for a new home and new start is a step in the right direction.

Believe it or no. I like Stephenson. I always wanted a guard rotation of Rondo, Bradley, Stephenson, and Courtney Lee. Small ball lineups of Lee and Stephenson at the 3 and 4 from Doc Rivers lol.

But I see where you're going with Brown. But I think the problem is, we give young players so much scrutiny for not performing well at the age of 19, but Brown to me, along with Simmons and Ingram seem like the most NBA ready. Hield, Murray, and Dunn in my eyes will struggle.

We gotta like the 76ers, trust the process. I think Ainge drafted the highest upside in players while trying to maintain flexbility. Plus we still have assets. There was a chance we weren't going to do anything, and just draft players, and some people here had miscontrued that entirely. You gotta be patient. Ainge even said it took 3 years for the Celtics to get Garnett. We may or may not get Durant, but we'll maybe at least get a chance too. And a chance I'll take over a obvious no, which dubiously the Knicks, Nets, and the Wizards are getting from him right now lol.

Sorry people can dream.

Agree with Monks statements...although, I wonder with so many roster spots taken up with rookie type players  if this limits the possibility of bringing in multiple mid-salary impact players. Ideally, Danny signs 2 max salary players. If that doesn't work out does he have the roster flexibility to sign multiple Stevenson-type players? 

I think Ainge's mindset was maintaining flexbility cap wise, and the fact 16/23 are all draft and stash players. He may or may not need to trade some players, but there are going to be some roster spaces, because I don't see Sullinger, Zeller, or Turner coming back to be honest.

Think Turner is going to end up on the Knicks, and I think Sullinger is bound to be a Nets along with Stephenson lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 11:36:25 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Last year was the first year since 1997 that we had any cap space.  Signing a marque free agent is difficult WITH cap space, but it is actually impossible without cap space unless the player is willing to play for the minimum or one of the (very small) cap exceptions (in other words, it doesn't happen unless the player is on the tail end of their career).  Sign and trades are possible, but require sending salary out, which makes them difficult for a team that is trying to compete.  The circumstances around the Celtics for the past 20 years (and ESPECIALLY during the Big 3 era) make it impossible to say whether or not the Celtics can't sign big free agents.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

Last year was the first year since 1997 that we had any cap space.  Signing a marque free agent is difficult WITH cap space, but it is actually impossible without cap space unless the player is willing to play for the minimum or one of the (very small) cap exceptions (in other words, it doesn't happen unless the player is on the tail end of their career).  Sign and trades are possible, but require sending salary out, which makes them difficult for a team that is trying to compete.  The circumstances around the Celtics for the past 20 years (and ESPECIALLY during the Big 3 era) make it impossible to say whether or not the Celtics can't sign big free agents.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your last statement. Just not sure what you mean. Could you clarify? 

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 12:51:47 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

This, TP!
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 12:52:40 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Definitely not a fan of bringing Stephenson on board. This team thrives on team play and togetherness. Lance Stephenson seems like a headache not worth his output.

- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 12:53:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your last statement. Just not sure what you mean. Could you clarify?

Essentially, we haven't had the ability to sign those types of free agents, because we've never had the required cap space to sign them in the first place. So there's no way to know whether or not we can truly attract free agents, because our cap situation the last two decades has prevented us from even being able to try.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 12:54:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Nope.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 12:59:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Don't Stephenson and Turner hate each other from their time in Indiana? Out of the two, I would rather have Turner, who has proven to fit on this team and who Stevens likes .

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Doesn't really help a roster that is jam packed with guards.  He's also not a good three point shooter (30.8% career 3pt average) so he doesn't help us out as a floor spacer either.  Pass.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 01:07:27 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I know that Stephenson is a much cheaper sketchy character, but if we're going to sign one, let it be Dwight Howard.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 01:10:39 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
No thanks.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson