Author Topic: How far would you have been willing to go to trade for Jimmy Butler?  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I know what's done is done. I'm not interested in piling on Danny for not pulling the trigger on a trade.

I know Danny doesn't like to lose a trade deal....and rumor has it that Chicago was going to make him overpay to get Butler. However, it seems that with all the assets we had, I wonder why we couldn't make this year an exception.

Giving up the #3 draft pick, trading Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder would have been a huge price to pay, but ultimately, you still get to keep your #1 player (Isaiah Thomas) and you have the benefit of adding another All-Star NBA player to your team - someone who could attract big-name Fee Agents and other established players.

I might have drawn the line at trading this year and next year's Brooklyn pick, but we have the resources to overpay...so why not overpay? The draft is such a crap shoot anyhow...right?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:53:14 AM by Celtic_Pride777 »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I have a question for all of you.
Everybody expected Cousins to Boston type or rumours again this season.
Strangely we heard nothing. Why?
Could it be because this time Bulls and Philly made more sense for trade partner?
Why does make you think about the entire media?

My answer is.... a joke. And they are paid for that!

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think it didnt happen because Nets 2018, AB, Rozier, 16, 23 and JJ was the right price for him. Bulls were not interested because they need to keep playoff hope alive and sell tickets.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think its simply because Butler isn't that much of an upgrade, nor is it really that much of a catch when you realize, we might've given up the 3rd pick, Crowder, 16th pick, and maybe even more. The media likes to draw out conclusions based on mere speculations. There wasn't really any evidence promoting that Bulls clearly wanted the 3rd pick, Crowder, and the 16th pick. It could've been more, could've been less, but at this point, we'll never really know.

How far would I have gone?

Not that far.

Butler is an excellent two way player, but Jaylen Brown reminds me of Jimmy Butler in so many ways, except Jaylen Brown has more potential, and a better shot mechanic than Butler does.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Giving up the #3 draft pick, trading Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder would have been a huge price to pay, but ultimately, you still get to keep your #1 player (Isaiah Thomas) and you have the benefit of adding another All-Star NBA player to your team - someone who could attract big-name Fee Agents and other established players.

We don't actually know what price Chicago was asking for;  what you're describing here is pretty typical of the rumors, but that deal undervalues J Crowder.  In the bigger picture, the Celtics have an opportunity to keep an excellent core group, and add to it.

I was absolutely in favor of a deal for Jimmy Butler, but not at the price of sacrificing continuity and the quality players that Boston already had.  As you say, the draft is always a crapshoot; but it looks like the choice of Jaylen Brown shuts the door on a deal for Jimmy Butler.

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
3rd + crowder + 16
Seems pretty fair as well as since crowder had a poor showing after his injury
So bulls don't really know what is happening there

3rd allows them to get Dunn who they really like
Crowder replaces butler
They can choose someone else with 16

I think bulls would've wanted more
Probably Brooklyn picks and Bradley

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35

We don't actually know what price Chicago was asking for;  what you're describing here is pretty typical of the rumors, but that deal undervalues J Crowder.  In the bigger picture, the Celtics have an opportunity to keep an excellent core group, and add to it.

I was absolutely in favor of a deal for Jimmy Butler, but not at the price of sacrificing continuity and the quality players that Boston already had.  As you say, the draft is always a crapshoot; but it looks like the choice of Jaylen Brown shuts the door on a deal for Jimmy Butler.

Honestly, short of giving up all of our Brooklyn picks, I might have given up the motherload to get Butler. All-Stars don't grow on trees, and the draft is such a crap shoot anyways. Besides, Crowder is essentially a role-player, and Avery (while one of the best contributors on the team) is ultimately expendable.

As long as we get to keep next year's Brooklyn pick (2017) I would have been okay trading the #3 and also our 2018 Brooklyn pick. It's an insane amount to ask for, but ultimately, you have the resources to do it.

We get Butler, we're guaranteed to make it at least to the 2nd round in the playoffs.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Honestly, short of giving up all of our Brooklyn picks, I might have given up the motherload to get Butler. All-Stars don't grow on trees, and the draft is such a crap shoot anyways. Besides, Crowder is essentially a role-player, and Avery (while one of the best contributors on the team) is ultimately expendable.

As long as we get to keep next year's Brooklyn pick (2017) I would have been okay trading the #3 and also our 2018 Brooklyn pick. It's an insane amount to ask for, but ultimately, you have the resources to do it.

We get Butler, we're guaranteed to make it at least to the 2nd round in the playoffs.

Crowder is a definite top 10, arguably top 5 SF in the league.  Calling him a "role player" is severely undervaluing him

I think this year's playoff series against the Hawks proved that Bradley is not expendable

Overpaying just because you can might make sense if you're talking about trading for a transcendent player, but this is Jimmy Butler.  He's a great player, but you're not winning a championship if he's your #1.  Getting rid of our best assets and players just to make the second round of the playoffs is a bad idea
I'm bitter.

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
All three first rounders and Crowder or 3,16, Smart and Crowder..

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I mean isn't Bradley expendable if you're trading him for another SG to play his minutes? One who's a better shooter?

I get not wanting to trade a ton for Butler depending on your Pov. But you don't send bench guys and low picks to get All-Stars people. You have to send out key pieces to get key pieces.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm not sure myself.

Definitely #3 Crowder or Bradley and a future pick (but not BKN) is what first popped into mind. But more than that would scare me as that's already a lot.

One high lottery picks and a starting caliber player and another pick is a ton and I know Chicago would want more. Probably at least 1 BKN pick, probably both.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I mean isn't Bradley expendable if you're trading him for another SG to play his minutes? One who's a better shooter?

I get not wanting to trade a ton for Butler depending on your Pov. But you don't send bench guys and low picks to get All-Stars people. You have to send out key pieces to get key pieces.

Well, he actually isn't as good a shooter. He's an excellent one on one player and finisher around the rim, but his biggest weakness as an offensive player is Bradley's biggest strength. He's a mediocre 3 point and long two shooter, and doesn't help with spacing.

If we got Butler, I think we'd be better off keeping Bradley at the two and using Crowder to get him. Butler will not give the C's pressure defense on the ball and he won't spread the floor. But he is versatile in the same way Crowder is and can cover the same types of guys. We'd be better with Butler at the 3 spot.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I think its simply because Butler isn't that much of an upgrade, nor is it really that much of a catch when you realize, we might've given up the 3rd pick, Crowder, 16th pick, and maybe even more. The media likes to draw out conclusions based on mere speculations. There wasn't really any evidence promoting that Bulls clearly wanted the 3rd pick, Crowder, and the 16th pick. It could've been more, could've been less, but at this point, we'll never really know.

How far would I have gone?

Not that far.

Butler is an excellent two way player, but Jaylen Brown reminds me of Jimmy Butler in so many ways, except Jaylen Brown has more potential, and a better shot mechanic than Butler does.

This.

Butler is a better player than Avery but he's not MILES better because Bradley is an above-average starter. It made little sense for us to "shoot our wad" of assets to acquire Butler because he simply wouldn't add many more wins. If both Crowder and Bradley were headed the other way he might have been a net negative. Then you toss in the #3 pick and it's easy to see why this was a deal that we really didn't want to do.

I would have brought Butler over on only really two conditions:

#1 - The deal would have had to be #3 + Bradley + 2018 Celtics 1st. That's it. No more. If that doesn't get it done then so be it.
#2 - I would have had to a have a decent feeling that getting Butler would lead to acquiring KG or another top FA. There was no use in spending the assets now if Butler doesn't attract anyone else.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Well, he actually isn't as good a shooter. He's an excellent one on one player and finisher around the rim, but his biggest weakness as an offensive player is Bradley's biggest strength. He's a mediocre 3 point and long two shooter, and doesn't help with spacing.

If we got Butler, I think we'd be better off keeping Bradley at the two and using Crowder to get him. Butler will not give the C's pressure defense on the ball and he won't spread the floor. But he is versatile in the same way Crowder is and can cover the same types of guys. We'd be better with Butler at the 3 spot.
Uh Butler shoots as well on long 2s as Bradley, he's a worse 3 point shooter but Bradley didn't scare teams from deep himself.

The idea that Butler is a marginal upgrade over Bradley just doesn't reflect the reality of how good Butler is.

116 ORTG for Butler Compared to 105 for Bradley

More rebounds, more assists, more points, way more free throws, and a usage rate that is still only 25% for all that production.

And Butler is still a ++ defender, making 2nd team all defense 3 years in a row now.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Butler is a better player than Avery but he's not MILES better because Bradley is an above-average starter. It made little sense for us to "shoot our wad" of assets to acquire Butler because he simply wouldn't add many more wins. If both Crowder and Bradley were headed the other way he might have been a net negative. Then you toss in the #3 pick and it's easy to see why this was a deal that we really didn't want to do.
I mean by most measures he is a lot better, miles would describe it nicely.

All-star, also all defense, and by most metrics worth around 11 wins. Bradley is worth around 4-5 last year by the same metrics.

He also adds more of what the team needs offensively. Ability to get to the rim/line and create off the dribble.