Author Topic: Jaylen Brown the reincarnated Len Bias?  (Read 5594 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown the reincarnated Len Bias?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 01:37:23 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

This says it all, I like Brown's potential but he didn't compare athletically or physically. Bias also had a fantastic jumper which was very fast and very difficult to block, there was a bit of Jordan and Wilkins to him.

https://youtu.be/gDQnsK6bpPM I've posted this before as obviously I am a huge fan of Bias but you can see Brown's games was very different to Bias'.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:48:14 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 01:54:06 AM »

Offline myselfonline

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
But... I thought Jeff Green was the reincarnated Len Bias.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 02:05:47 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

This says it all, I like Brown's potential but he didn't compare athletically or physically. Bias also had a fantastic jumper which was very fast and very difficult to block, there was a bit of Jordan and Wilkins to him.

https://youtu.be/gDQnsK6bpPM I've posted this before as obviously I am a huge fan of Bias but you can see Brown's games was very different to Bias'.
I think the point is more that Len Bias was an athletic small forward picked using a pick the celtics had traded for in a previous season so they got a top 3 pick while making the playoffs(I understand that team also won the championship).

Len Bias wears number 30 and 30 years later Jaylen Brown, an athletic small forward gets picked third to a Celtics team that made the playoffs using a top 3 pick they got via a trade in a previous season.

The parallels are crazy
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 02:06:32 AM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378

Jordan would have had a tough time battling this guy for 10 years.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 02:06:55 AM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
I hope Jaylen Brown is a pepsi guy instead....

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 03:09:09 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I love this thread.

It warms my heart.

I get the point. Not implying they are equal players, equal talents. But thanks to this thread, every and now when Brown has a five minute stretch where he plays like Bias, it'll feel a little like a glimpse into a parallel universe where we get to see how Bias would've looked as a Celtic. I don't think we've had a player who could resemble Bias for even five minutes until now, until Brown.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 03:20:24 AM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
Bias is like a Kennedy moment if you are old enough.  I remember looking at the paper in disbelief at my Aunt and Uncle's base housing in Newport.

No disrespect to Brown but the premise is absurd.  He doesn't come close to Bias (and I say that as someone whose dirty secret is that I thought Bias was great but a little overrated).

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 04:01:28 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I love this thread.

It warms my heart.

I get the point. Not implying they are equal players, equal talents. But thanks to this thread, every and now when Brown has a five minute stretch where he plays like Bias, it'll feel a little like a glimpse into a parallel universe where we get to see how Bias would've looked as a Celtic. I don't think we've had a player who could resemble Bias for even five minutes until now, until Brown.

The occasional glimpse would be even more pronounced if he sheared off his flat top, and once his physique thickens a bit after a couple years. What did Bias look like as a freshman?

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 04:36:01 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I love this thread.

It warms my heart.

The occasional glimpse would be even more pronounced if he sheared off his flat top, and once his physique thickens a bit after a couple years. What did Bias look like as a freshman?

Can't find a single bit of video of Bias's freshman year. Shame, too, woulda been cool to see the game where Houston knocked Maryland out of the tournament. Drexler, Olajuwon, Bias.

And as a sophomore, anyway, he looked like this:

https://youtu.be/y4u4MdSGSDo

Sigh.

p.s. Jordan was ******* incredible.

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 05:46:55 AM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Len Bias wasn't alone. That 86 draft had a number of tragedies and unfilled promises. 

http://hoopshype.com/2011/06/15/bias-not-the-only-sad-story-in-cursed-86-draft/

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 06:50:34 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
lol, this thread... some people...

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 07:14:25 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Yeah, the jumper was UNBLOCKABLE. You can see how high he could jump. Just imagine trying to block his shot as his release point was at his peak.
And that block at the 0:52 mark of the video is one the most amazing ones you'll EVER see.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 07:34:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Thirty years after Len Bias' death we drafted Jaylen Brown, a player who has a similar physique and playing style as Len did. Bias was a little taller and was projected to have Jordan-like potential. So, it's not quite fair to compare the two. There are several differences between these two players, e.g., Len shot well near the basket. Brown can shoot the 3. Len was a much better ball handler and had better court vision. On the other hand, they are similar in that they could both leap, land thunderous dunks and block shots out of the sky. Thus, the excitement level they bring/brought to the game is comparable.

FWIW: I didn't write this post to compare the ability of two players. Just felt kind of eerie that 30 years later we draft Jaylen at number 3 when we selected Bias at number 2. Maybe we were destined to have this type of athlete play for the Boston Celtics

Yet you do compare.   I have to wonder if you were alive when Bias played because they are apples and oranges as I see it.  Not much similiarity, because Bias was a better leaper by a large margin.

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 08:00:14 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Thirty years after Len Bias' death we drafted Jaylen Brown, a player who has a similar physique and playing style as Len did. Bias was a little taller and was projected to have Jordan-like potential. So, it's not quite fair to compare the two. There are several differences between these two players, e.g., Len shot well near the basket. Brown can shoot the 3. Len was a much better ball handler and had better court vision. On the other hand, they are similar in that they could both leap, land thunderous dunks and block shots out of the sky. Thus, the excitement level they bring/brought to the game is comparable.

FWIW: I didn't write this post to compare the ability of two players. Just felt kind of eerie that 30 years later we draft Jaylen at number 3 when we selected Bias at number 2. Maybe we were destined to have this type of athlete play for the Boston Celtics

Yet you do compare.   I have to wonder if you were alive when Bias played because they are apples and oranges as I see it.  Not much similiarity, because Bias was a better leaper by a large margin.

There are zero similarities. None.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 08:01:11 AM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Less than a week after the draft we have Brown = Rookie of the year, Brown > Ingram, Brown is the reincarnated Len Bias...yikes.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator