Author Topic: Jaylen Brown the reincarnated Len Bias?  (Read 5621 times)

Jaylen Brown the reincarnated Len Bias?
« on: June 27, 2016, 11:38:25 PM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Thirty years after Len Bias' death we drafted Jaylen Brown, a player who has a similar physique and playing style as Len did. Bias was a little taller and was projected to have Jordan-like potential. So, it's not quite fair to compare the two. There are several differences between these two players, e.g., Len shot well near the basket. Brown can shoot the 3. Len was a much better ball handler and had better court vision. On the other hand, they are similar in that they could both leap, land thunderous dunks and block shots out of the sky. Thus, the excitement level they bring/brought to the game is comparable.

FWIW: I didn't write this post to compare the ability of two players. Just felt kind of eerie that 30 years later we draft Jaylen at number 3 when we selected Bias at number 2. Maybe we were destined to have this type of athlete play for the Boston Celtics. 

Re: Jaylen Brown the reincarnated Len Bias?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 11:51:24 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
I was thinking the same thing. But Brown is definitely much smarter off the court as he wouldn't hang out with cokeheads. Both are explosive athletes but Bias was the better shooter. Brown may come close to Bias' shooting as Brown had a better freshman year than Len.

I would feel a goosebump if he choose 30 as his jersey number.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 11:57:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Not even close.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 12:01:55 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I suppose you can say that brown is to a 48 win team as Bias was to the reigning champs and one of the top 5 teams of all time. Talent wise there really is no comparison at this point.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 12:05:46 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Disrespectful get lost

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:07:10 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Disrespectful get lost

Come on, man.  I disagree, as well, but you don't need to tell someone to 'get lost'. Geesh, tough crowd.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 12:11:37 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Disrespectful get lost

Sorry, but to who? Len or Jaylen?

TP for an old-man/grandfather insult though.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 12:17:25 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think Bias would be fine with the comparison.  They are similar in size although jaylen is shorter.  Bias was a much more developed player though as a lot of top prospects were back then.

jaylen really plays the game completely different than Bias. Bias was like a bigger jordan but not really on his level.

Jaylen is all speed and hops right now. 

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 12:19:17 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Had Bias jumped ship after his freshman year, perhaps the comparison would be apt. I certainly hope Brown is the real deal when it comes to being smart off the court.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 12:24:08 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I think Bias would be fine with the comparison.  They are similar in size although jaylen is shorter.  Bias was a much more developed player though as a lot of top prospects were back then.

jaylen really plays the game completely different than Bias. Bias was like a bigger jordan but not really on his level.

Oh he was on par with Jordan, but Bias was more like what would happen if you put Dominique Wilkins and Bernard King in a blender, and then added an incredible jump shot to the result, imo.  Sigh.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 12:24:23 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
That's the thing is a lot of these guys are freshman. Although Kobe and KG were more developed as highschoolers than Brown is. 

It's the state of the game as much as these guys are just young.  Players don't develop like they used to. Even Lebron who has been in the league for years is nowhere near the skill level of some of those guys.

Just watch a guy like Pippen sometime or players like that. You just don't see that stuff anymore how guys used to adjust in the air and get shots off.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 12:28:44 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Most of these kids coming up don't even know who Len Bias is that's half the problem. They don't even know who Bird really was.  Just tapes of him.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 12:30:53 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Most of these kids coming up don't even know who Len Bias is that's half the problem. They don't even know who Bird really was.  Just tapes of him.

...let alone Havlichek...

...or Russell

Red is just a color to them.

Too many years...where have they gone? :)

Rak

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 12:54:01 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Oh he was on par with Jordan, but Bias was more like what would happen if you put Dominique Wilkins and Bernard King in a blender, and then added an incredible jump shot to the result, imo.  Sigh.

This.

I like Jaylen Brown, but ability wise, he doesn't belong in the same sentence as Len Bias.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 01:24:00 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Bias was a little taller and was projected to have Jordan-like potential. So, it's not quite fair to compare the two.

And, yet, you made a thread to do just that.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.