Author Topic: Imagine what Brad Stevens could've done with Okafor or Nerlens...  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Am I the only one interested in seeing how CBS would've utilized real centers such as these two?  That's if they weren't traded of course.  Unlike many people here I prefered Okafor to Nerlens but Nerlens would've been fine.  I just think it would've been interesting to see how Brad Stevens coach bigs...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:02:59 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Re: Imagine what Brad Stevens could've done with Okafor or Nerlens...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:51:40 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
We got our own bigs, Yabu and Zizic, both could be better than Okafor(remember he is a net negative on the history bad 76ers team)

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 09:57:36 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I thought they could help us, but, I think if Stevens really wanted one of them, Ainge would have made the trade.

No one really talked about about Stevens in this draft. Every move that was made or not made included his opinion.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:57:39 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Imagine what Brad could do with Jaylen Brown

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:01:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Am I the only one interested in seeing how CBS utilize real centers such as these two?  That's if they weren't traded of course.  Unlike many people here I prefered Okafor to Nerlens but Nerlens would've been fine.  I just think it would've been interesting to see how Brad Stevens coach bigs...

To be honest, I'm really not sure that he knows how to use post players of any size, and I suspect that if we had made the deal for Okafor, Stevens would have had him shooting 3s instead of playing inside, lol ;D.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 10:01:16 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Blah...we've seen what he could do with the likes of Brown.  That position is overloaded, remember?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 10:05:03 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Would not be surprised if CBS wanted no part of either of those players for his offense..
And The Celtics have not had a player of Browns Physical abilities in a long long time.  CBS has probably never coached a player as physically gifted as brown..

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 10:06:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Blah...we've seen what he could do with the likes of Brown.  That position is overloaded, remember?

Is it? We really have no small forwards on the roster with athletic ability who can create their own shot. We haven't had a player like this at his position since Pierce.

I strongly believe that Brad Stevens has a lot of influence in these roster moves, and that if he wanted Noel or Okafor instead of Brown he would have one of them. It was very clear that Brown was Brad Stevens guy more than anything.

It is also a wise GM who considers the preferences of his coach when constructing a roster, instead of forcing players upon him who the coach may not want to use much.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 12:00:43 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I can see Stevens using Okafor the way OKC uses Kanter.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 12:02:51 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I can see Stevens using Okafor the way OKC uses Kanter.

Yup. I'm not all that interested in seeing what a coach who values versatility on both ends would do with a one-way plodding big man.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 12:22:39 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Okafor is a dinosaur. Signing Biyombo makes more sense than trading for Noel. The obsession with the Sixers' bigs is perplexing. Only Embiid is worth salvating over and he might prove to be Oden 2.0...

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 09:47:41 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Stevens said he likes guys who can play more than one position. That means 4-5. Fits Zizic and the French guy, maybe. But Okafor and probably Noel, 5 only. Neither played 4 well last year, especially Okafor.

Free agents--I can see Horford fitting. He might be the first guy they go after. Maybe Monroe (trade), though not much of a D guy. Maybe Biyombo, for his D. Howard, Whiteside strictly 5s.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Am I the only one interested in seeing how CBS utilize real centers such as these two?  That's if they weren't traded of course.  Unlike many people here I prefered Okafor to Nerlens but Nerlens would've been fine.  I just think it would've been interesting to see how Brad Stevens coach bigs...

To be honest, I'm really not sure that he knows how to use post players of any size, and I suspect that if we had made the deal for Okafor, Stevens would have had him shooting 3s instead of playing inside, lol ;D.

Reminds me of Knight, tall lanky guy the Rickster got from the Lakers. Inside player, good offensive rebounder. Pitino turned him into a 3P shooter. Did the same with McCarty, who looked like an all star going to the basket.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 10:09:40 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Why do people think that CBS wasn't involved in the trading process? I'm sure at some point in time Danny asked, "Hey Brad, how much do you want Okafor/Noel?"

I remember how hard we went after IT when he became available. To be honest I feel he was more interested in the picks we made than the Noel/Okafor trade

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 10:18:30 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Stevens would have improved Okafor's defense - and he still might.

And I'm sure he would have found a way to utilize a rim protector.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."