Author Topic: Revisiting a Smart for Noel trade  (Read 7358 times)

Re: Revisiting a Smart for Noel trade
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2016, 12:17:32 AM »

Offline sirnastee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Noel's defensive abilities are really rare in the NBA.  There are not many players with the potential to avg. over 2 blocks and 2 steals a game.  He can switch onto anybody with his length and speed.   He doesn't even need to put up the defensive stats to be a game changer on defense.  With a center so long and fast, Stevens will make our defense the best in the league.  On offense, he obviously can't shoot very well, but I think it will be fine if we just limit him to a Deandre Jordan/Tyson Chandler type of role to pick and roll/putbacks. 

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2016, 12:20:41 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
No to a Smart-Noel trade, by the way. Lateral move. Smart slightly more valuable individually, Noel more valuable for team need. No gain, no trade.

But if we got Durant and Horford and they offered a Noel/Covington for Brown swap, you have to do it, right? Otherwise, you'd essentially just be wasting Brown on the bench behind Crowder, Smart, and Bradley.

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2016, 01:06:08 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
No to a Smart-Noel trade, by the way. Lateral move. Smart slightly more valuable individually, Noel more valuable for team need. No gain, no trade.

But if we got Durant and Horford and they offered a Noel/Covington for Brown swap, you have to do it, right? Otherwise, you'd essentially just be wasting Brown on the bench behind Crowder, Smart, and Bradley.

I think it would make more sense to sign a free agent like Pachulia and keep Brown as an asset for a future move.  Brown's size and athleticism could be useful on the wing through the regular season.

Mike

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2016, 03:47:35 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Why trade an asset or two for Noel when you can sign Biyombo?

Because:

1)  Noel at 22 (with only 2 years of NBA experience) is already a better player then Biyumbo is at 23 after 5 years in the league

2) Because Noel is far more talented offensively, so has a much higher chance of one day becoming a two-way player - Biyumbo is as good as useless offensively

3) Because Noel is taller, longer and even more athletic  with significantly higher upside

Why trade an asset or two when you can sign him next year without giving up something ?

1) Because it's an asset that is very much redundant right now

2) Because Noel is going to be a Restricted Free Agent, so Philly can effectively threaten to match all deals and enforce a team to trade for him (as Orlando did with Tobias Harris)

3) Because there are 30 NBA teams in the league, and even if he does become a free agent there is absolutely zero guarantee you will win the bid for his services

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2016, 04:21:39 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I don't think Brown will be stuck ont he bench behind those guys.  He and Crowder are the only legitimate Small Forwards on the roster right now, and Brad has a major man-crush on Crowder playing the small-ball four.  I expect Brown will end up on major minutes (24-28 MPG) at some point in his rookie seasons - perhaps sooner rather then later. 

Makes a lot more sense to trade Smart for Noel, as he's a largely redundant player on this roster.

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2016, 09:21:03 AM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
I think the move is Marcus Smart and either a pick or a guy like Rozier or RJ Hunter for Noel or Okafor. Okafor is going to be great if he gets into a winning environment. Noel can be a rim protector. I still prefer Okafor because he commands a double team, freeing up shooters on the perimeter. The NBA is going back to being an offensive game, and Boston has zero front court scorers. Okafor will be a career 20/10 guy, easily.

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2016, 09:56:04 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
I much rather trade Bradley and start Smart at SG.

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2016, 10:12:09 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I much rather trade Bradley and start Smart at SG.

Who scores with Smart and Noel on the floor together? Further more Smart has not proven he is more than bench player at this point, sorry.

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2016, 10:13:32 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Why trade an asset or two for Noel when you can sign Biyombo?

Because:

1)  Noel at 22 (with only 2 years of NBA experience) is already a better player then Biyumbo is at 23 after 5 years in the league

2) Because Noel is far more talented offensively, so has a much higher chance of one day becoming a two-way player - Biyumbo is as good as useless offensively

3) Because Noel is taller, longer and even more athletic  with significantly higher upside

Why trade an asset or two when you can sign him next year without giving up something ?

1) Because it's an asset that is very much redundant right now

2) Because Noel is going to be a Restricted Free Agent, so Philly can effectively threaten to match all deals and enforce a team to trade for him (as Orlando did with Tobias Harris)

3) Because there are 30 NBA teams in the league, and even if he does become a free agent there is absolutely zero guarantee you will win the bid for his services

I seriously disagree with point number 1.  Marcus Smart is not redundant.  We don't have another player who can effectively guard the one, two, and three (and--in stretches--the four position). 

Well, maybe Jae Crowded can.  In my opinion, though, having multiple guys with real defensive versatility to be able to switch and guard multiple positions is crucial in having a strong defensive team.  We have that.  If we didn't have Marcus Smart, we would lose much of our defensive identity and versatility.

I agree that Noel is a versatile and good defender as well.  I really like Nerlens and would love to go after him this summer.  I don't think it's worth trading Marcus Smart for him, though.

Smart, despite his shooting struggles, is an integral part of what the current Celtics are about and the kind of team Ainge and Stevens are trying to mold.

I would be very surprised to see Marcus Smart not be a Celtic through at least the duration of his second contract.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2016, 10:18:12 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
If the trade market for Noel is as cold as it seems to be, I really like the idea of trying to get him by clear up some of our redundancies. Trade one of Rozier/Jackson, one of Young/Hunter, and one of Olynyk/Jerebko for Noel.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2016, 10:18:34 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I hope Smart doesn't get traded. He's so much fun to watch.

TP Hpantazo

I take it you like roller coasters?