Author Topic: Revisiting a Smart for Noel trade  (Read 7441 times)

Revisiting a Smart for Noel trade
« on: June 27, 2016, 09:34:53 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
This topic was hashed out over the winter but I thought it deserved another look.
With a 6'10 point guard now running the show in philly do the Sixers really need a ball dominant Pg?

Smart would be a good fit there.

But I'm not trying to make the '6rs better...
Does slotting Noel into the middle help this team more than Marcus "bulldog" Smart?

He certainly fills a need, and plays with similar passion.

We would still have Bradley, crowder manning the perimeter D.
Brown's likely to contribute some tenacious D this year and Rozier looks to be improving.

That's a good stock of hard nosed defenders on the wing.

Swapping Swapping smart for a big (especially one who brings the same passion for D) seems to me to be the right call.

Both teams need what the others got, hope they can make a trade.

(How long before the haters turn this into a criticism of DA's "no fair trade" agenda?)

Re: Revisiting a Smart for Noel trade
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:46:34 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It's not a terrible idea, depending on how Rozier and Jackson look.  I prefer Smart but if this team comes out of the free agent market and still doesn't have a defensive center, it would certainly be worth considering.  The biggest hitch might be how much it's going to cost to resign Noel.  His value is depressed right now because Philly has just been so bleepin' awful but if he comes to Boston and puts up the same numbers on a playoff team, it would be hugely expensive to retain him.  And if you're going to be spending max or near-max dollars, wouldn't you rather have somebody like Whiteside or even Howard?

Mike

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 09:54:48 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think Smart is headed for a better career than Noel.  Too much leadership to give up, and eventual 2-way impact.  Or, if giving him up, wait a bit and get something much better. 

If chasing a big, I'd rather trade him out west for a decent 2-way big and good looking future pick, or a young big with good potential who won't need to be resigned next year (WCS?), plus and minus whatever needed. 

In any case, I think the return for Smart will jump a lot during or after this upcoming season, and so patience is best.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:58:54 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I think Smart is headed for a better career than Noel.  Too much leadership to give up, and eventual 2-way impact.  Or, if giving him up, wait a bit and get something much better. 

If chasing a big, I'd rather trade him out west for a decent 2-way big and good looking future pick, or a young big with good potential who won't need to be resigned next year (WCS?), plus and minus whatever needed. 

In any case, I think the return for Smart will jump a lot during or after this upcoming season, and so patience is best.

Who are we talking about?
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Who are we talking about?

The Celtics have openly talked about Marcus' effect on his teammates.  Not all leaders are stars (see Posey).

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 10:07:10 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Will the obsession with Easter Island ever end?

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 10:09:44 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Will the obsession with Easter Island ever end?

No it will not.  There are no bigs but Philly bigs.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 10:13:11 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
If Danny/Team has a plan for a C this off season or even mid season.   Then I'll be glad we didn't trade him. 
Diggles

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 10:13:17 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I would never trade Smart for Noel. Smart is such a tough nosed , two way player who impacts the game so much. I really want to see him and Brown develop together. In 2-3 years they could be a force to be reckoned with.

Noel doesn't provide anything we can't get on the free agent market right now. Biyombo can give us what Noel would give us. So can other players.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 10:14:37 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I hope Smart doesn't get traded. He's so much fun to watch.

TP Hpantazo
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 10:16:16 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I would never trade Smart for Noel. Smart is such a tough nosed , two way player who impacts the game so much. I really want to see him and Brown develop together. In 2-3 years they could be a force to be reckoned with.

Noel doesn't provide anything we can't get on the free agent market right now. Biyombo can give us what Noel would give us. So can other players.

Imagine Smart, Brown, and Biyombo on the court at the same time :o. How the hell are we going to score, lol? ;D

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 10:16:24 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
This topic was hashed out over the winter but I thought it deserved another look.
With a 6'10 point guard now running the show in philly do the Sixers really need a ball dominant Pg?

Does slotting Noel into the middle help this team more than Marcus "bulldog" Smart?

Brown's likely to contribute some tenacious D this year and Rozier looks to be improving.

Swapping Swapping smart for a big (especially one who brings the same passion for D) seems to me to be the right call.

(How long before the haters turn this into a criticism of DA's "no fair trade" agenda?)

I'd make that trade tomorrow. I don't think Smart will ever consistently score the basketball, and I have serious questions about his maturity as well.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 10:18:17 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Imagine Smart, Brown, and Biyombo on the court at the same time :o. How the hell are we going to score, lol? ;D

Put IT and Horford out there with them. I'm expecting Brown to be quite a scorer eventually, and Smart too. Smart showed flashes of it now and then in a few big games last season, including against Westbrook, and in the playoffs. Biyombo...yeah....not so much.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 10:21:16 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

I'd make that trade tomorrow. I don't think Smart will ever consistently score the basketball, and I have serious questions about his maturity as well.

Maturity issues?  So you'd trade him for a guy who trashed a rental house with marijuana, gatorade, and other crap, and left a "rest in peace" sign on the front walkway? 

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 10:21:59 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Smart's offensive game is already miles better than Noel's and he is also a better defender. Also, it's not a good idea to bring up maturity when defending Noel, he's not exactly the best example of a mature person with what he did last year reportedly.