Author Topic: Bobby Marks like our KD chances, but not as much as OKCs  (Read 6429 times)

Re: Bobby Marks like our KD chances, but not as much as OKCs
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 02:18:57 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Durant and The Celtics is the perfect marriage.

Every aspect of what he is looking for--we have or can get....without gutting our team.

Plus, we have amazing future assets...a stable Front Office/Top Coach

He's friends with AB and IT---Shares same agent as Young...He's apparently a big Larry Bird fan too.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 02:52:45 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2016, 04:23:52 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Durant and The Celtics is the perfect marriage.

Every aspect of what he is looking for--we have or can get.
...without gutting our team.

Plus, we have amazing future assets...a stable Front Office/Top Coach

He's friends with AB and IT---Shares same agent as Young...He's apparently a big Larry Bird fan too.

Except for one thing - a championship. 

I've read he wants to go to the team that gives him the best shot at a title.  I think the Thunder, Spurs and Warriors are all a lot closer to that then we are.

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2016, 05:59:09 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I understand he wants championship..but a championship fought with blood sweat and tears is better than being a champion as coattailrider riding the GS and Spurs Bandwagon...He should take note that we are a 48 win team without a defacto Alphadog..If he suits up with the Cs thwn those close calls losses that we had will be a thing of the past..63-68 wins easily and a ticket to the ECF against Lebron guaranteed.. I dont know if we can win it all in yr one but the prospect of dominating the East for years will be my main selling point.

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2016, 07:30:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He should take note that we are a 48 win team without a defacto Alphadog..If he suits up with the Cs thwn those close calls losses that we had will be a thing of the past..63-68 wins easily and a ticket to the ECF against Lebron guaranteed.. I dont know if we can win it all in yr one but the prospect of dominating the East for years will be my main selling point.

This is true until the playoffs then we do not squeak out those wins quite as well when the other team is playing.   I think he would help in the playoffs.

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 09:52:30 AM »

Offline Sideshow Mel

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
Durant also seems to like Smart's game, fwiw. Durant caught Smart go for 39 while at OSU and came away impressed with not only his scoring but the way Smart carried himself. Got the feeling reading this that Smart's style of play is what Durant likes to see on the floor with him.

"He was just unbelievable for them tonight," Durant said. "He was doing it all for them, rebounding, blocking shots, passing, scoring. He led them. I knew he could do everything pretty well. But I like his demeanor. I like how he handles his teammates. A player like him, he always can burst out and get 30 or 40 points."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24250345/kevin-durant-on-marcus-smart-he-can-play-in-the-nba-right-now

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 10:41:51 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
What the media never seems to mention, although it's been discussed here, is that by coming to Boston he will become the alpha dog and clear cut leader of the team.  He was supposed to be the best player after Lebron, but in the last couple of years, he has been passed by.  That has to be frustrating for him.  He finished fifth in MVP voting this year, beaten by Curry, Leonard, Lebron, and even his own teammate Westbrook.  The one time he won MVP was when Westbrook missed much of the season.  That has to be on his mind.  If he goes to GS or SA, he will be tagging along and will have to sacrifice his game.  That won't be true in Boston.  He will be in a great position to win the MVP as well as contend for a title.

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2016, 10:43:45 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Can't post th article but Kevin Pelton from ESPN says the C's are the best chance for sustainable success. By adding Durant the C's project 62-67 wins next season.  His point is they don't have to lose anyone and adding another max, plus two likely lottery picks.

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2016, 10:57:14 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The one time he won MVP was when Westbrook missed much of the season.  That has to be on his mind.

If that's the case, he should also consider that his team flamed out miserably in the playoffs without Westbrook AND that he burned himself out by the postseason in his MVP year.

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2016, 11:12:38 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
The one time he won MVP was when Westbrook missed much of the season.  That has to be on his mind.

If that's the case, he should also consider that his team flamed out miserably in the playoffs without Westbrook AND that he burned himself out by the postseason in his MVP year.

I don't know that he was burned out in the postseason that year.  He averaged 29.6 ppg and they lost to SA in 6 games in the conference finals.

They lost in the second round the year before without Westbrook.  So what?  The Celtics are a much better team than a Westbrookless Thunder.  When the Thunder was missing both players a couple seasons ago, they were horrible. 

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2016, 11:15:35 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

I don't know that he was burned out in the postseason that year.  He averaged 29.6 ppg and they lost to SA in 6 games in the conference finals.

He had a clear lack of aggression and energy and seemed fatigued throughout the end of the season and the whole playoffs. His numbers were fine, but they were a clear dropoff from his regular season stats. It was evident watching him. Don't you remember the Mr. Unreliable headline?

They lost in the second round the year before without Westbrook.  So what?  The Celtics are a much better team than a Westbrookless Thunder.  When the Thunder was missing both players a couple seasons ago, they were horrible.

You're the one who made the reductive "well, I won MVP without Westbrook..." argument as a reason why he might be looking to leave. So if he's going to consider that, I'd expect him to also consider "... but I also didn't go anywhere in the playoffs without him."

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2016, 11:17:20 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The thing is Durant should seriously consider us.

Marks posted up some interesting statistical data coverage that stipulated how the CBA would work in our favor.

GSW/Spurs/Heat would have to lose a lot, or make some financially difficult moves in order to pull it off. You lose so much depth with the GSW, and Spurs are better off going after Conley. Kawhi and Durant could work and feed off each other, but at the end of the day, Durant can win a ring, but not be proclaimed the best player to lead the team.

The fact New York Knicks have Melo, and Rose, plus room for two max free agents, and Durant isn't interested in hearing them out, only speaks to how he must value stability and longevity.

We have a punchers chance, and that's all that matters with me.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2016, 11:18:28 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Also, a largely Westbrook-less Thunder won 59 games, so I don't quite agree with the "the Celtics are better than that team" argument.

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2016, 11:20:28 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Also, a largely Westbrook-less Thunder won 59 games, so I don't quite agree with the "the Celtics are better than that team" argument.

Considering we were also fighting injuries with Crowder, Bradley, and Smart/IT, you could also argue that the Celtics could've certainly won at least 50-52 games. So we're literally like a tier below, but with Durant, and another max free agent/Allstar, we're pretty close, and in an easier conference.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2016, 11:23:56 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

He had a clear lack of aggression and energy and seemed fatigued throughout the end of the season and the whole playoffs. His numbers were fine, but they were a clear dropoff from his regular season stats. It was evident watching him. Don't you remember the Mr. Unreliable headline?

You're the one who made the reductive "well, I won MVP without Westbrook..." argument as a reason why he might be looking to leave. So if he's going to consider that, I'd expect him to also consider "... but I also didn't go anywhere in the playoffs without him."

My point is that he was able to excel without Westbrook dominating the ball.  That will be true in Boston except they will have a much better team around him than the Westbrookless Thunder.  It will give him an opportunity to win an MVP and contend for a title.