Author Topic: Bobby Marks like our KD chances, but not as much as OKCs  (Read 6431 times)

Re: Bobby Marks like our KD chances, but not as much as OKCs
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
He either stays with OKC or comes to Boston.  None of those other teams make any sense.
Im starting to  come into that camp. Ive dismissed Miami and LA. GSW just doesnt feel right, but I cannot justify picking us over San Antonio. Itd be his team, hed have all the stability in the world, hed have a better coach, and a better supporting cast.

I've dismissed LAC as well. If they didn't have to give up Blake to get him, they'd probably be the favorites, but as it is, they have no chance. I don't see GSW happening, as I don't see KD being a number two to anyone. The Spurs have a chance, despite the awkward fit, and I've learned to never count out the Heat, but we have the best shot if he leaves. However, I think it's like 80/20 he stays.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 05:53:40 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/front-office-insider--kevin-durant-s-options-184021631.html

Interesting article. Its all speculation but if Im thinking correctly Marks is a fairly respected guy.

He is well-respected, and he has some interesting points to make - especially in light of what I heard today is the growing likelihood of Westbrook's departure for the West Coast next year.

Should it not work out - and I still doubt that Durant lands anywhere but OKC - it would be interesting to afford Glenn Rivers a draft picks for Blake Griffin deal should the Clippers acquire traction with Durant.

I wonder how much better swapping Griffin for Durant would even make the Clippers.  The spacing would improve and they'd win a few more games, but would they be legit contenders? If I'm Durant,  I don't know that I'd risk it.  Better off with the Spurs, Warriors, OKC, or Boston

I also wouldn't mind getting in on the Bogut fire sale - for a temporary solution - should the Warriors land Durant.

We could do a LOT worse for 1 year and $11 million.  My only worry would be that the last big man we took off GSW's hands was, to put it nicely, a disaster
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 06:41:38 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
He either stays with OKC or comes to Boston.  None of those other teams make any sense.
Im starting to  come into that camp. Ive dismissed Miami and LA. GSW just doesnt feel right, but I cannot justify picking us over San Antonio. Itd be his team, hed have all the stability in the world, hed have a better coach, and a better supporting cast.
San is nearly impossible
They already has star SF/PF where is KD's fit?
There old star are really old and is on the edge of retire, and yes their coach too, so there is no long term(or even short term) fit

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 06:49:22 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
After reading this and finding out what the other teams would need to do in order to make room next to Durant my hopes really rose. All the other teams would be giving up legit pieces of their roster to get the cap space. We would essentially be adding KD to what we already have without giving up much at all from last year's team.

Are the Clippers better than us? Absolutely, but I think our team with Durant and Horford is better than their team when Durant replaces Griffin.

Thanks for nothing Bobby Now I am setting myself up to be disappointed when he doesn't sign.

The best I'm hoping for is Durant signing a one year deal with OKC, then we have a great season and he decides to come next year. Next year our double max cap space would be worth more with other quality free agents on the market.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 06:49:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I've dismissed LAC as well. If they didn't have to give up Blake to get him, they'd probably be the favorites, but as it is, they have no chance. I don't see GSW happening, as I don't see KD being a number two to anyone. The Spurs have a chance, despite the awkward fit, and I've learned to never count out the Heat, but we have the best shot if he leaves. However, I think it's like 80/20 he stays.

It all depends on Westbrook. That's what it boils down to, and that's what everyone is reporting, too. Do we really see him staying in OKC next summer? I think it's highly, highly unlikely that that happens. To me, he just has LA written all over him.

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 06:52:50 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

It all depends on Westbrook. That's what it boils down to, and that's what everyone is reporting, too. Do we really see him staying in OKC next summer? I think it's highly, highly unlikely that that happens. To me, he just has LA written all over him.

You're probably right, which is why it makes so much sense for KD to do a 1+1 with OKC, allowing him to decide with Westbrook next year.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 07:01:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

You're probably right, which is why it makes so much sense for KD to do a 1+1 with OKC, allowing him to decide with Westbrook next year.

Not exactly. It's been widely reported that he sees this as his only free agent process, and he wants to find his long-term team this summer. Thus, if he's not wanting to do this again next summer and he has a good idea that Westbrook is leaving in 2017, then he's not going to just play this year and go all through this again next year.

Further, it would make no sense for him to go through this process this year if he was pretty set on staying in OKC this year and leaving next year when Weatbrook leaves. Several teams this year won't be an option next year due to not having cap space, e.g. GS and SAS, and more teams will have space for multiple max players next year.

So I don't think it's quite as high as the percentages you suggest.

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 07:01:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

It's true, it makes sense, but most of the recent reports have suggested Durant doesnt want to do this again next year, that even though he will sign a 1-1 to give him the opportunity to get the most money possible, he reportedly will renew with whichever team he signs the 1-1 with, because he wants to decide this summer on who he will play for long term.

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 07:13:44 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

It's true, it makes sense, but most of the recent reports have suggested Durant doesnt want to do this again next year, that even though he will sign a 1-1 to give him the opportunity to get the most money possible, he reportedly will renew with whichever team he signs the 1-1 with, because he wants to decide this summer on who he will play for long term.

I know, and I find it very weird. I understand not wanting to go through free agency again, but it makes all the sense in the world to do so, both financially and competitively.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 07:20:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

For OKC, it makes sense for KD to want a 1+1.  Westbrook's potential free agency creates uncertainty for KD long term.  Furthermore, OKC would likely gain no cap advantage from KD at a lower salary in the summer of 2017.  After cap holds for Westbrook, Oladipo, Adams, and probably Roberson, they'd be at the cap whether KD is making $28 million or $38 million.  So there's no reason for him to pass up the money.

For every other team, Durant would be doing them a huge favor in 2017 cap flexibility if he were to sign for two or more years.

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 07:34:08 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Doesn't Durant's injury history play into this too?  I mean does he really want to wait around an extra year to try and make it work with Westbrook, and risk injury ?

He has already stated its not about the money or market, he has a 300 mil shoe contract.  He has also stated that his biggest wants are a stable front office and coach, with the ability to put the necessary pieces around him to win a title.

Pop is about 70 years old and the spurs supporting cast is ancient

Gsw would have to lose bogut Iggy Barnes to fit him in

Miami would have to trade dragic and wade is old and bosh likely retires

Bos has all NBA defense on the perimeter, a secondary scorer in IT. Ability to sign whoever he wants. Assets to visit trades if he agrees to sign. A coach and gm under contract for 6 years.

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2016, 07:39:30 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Doesn't Durant's injury history play into this too?  I mean does he really want to wait around an extra year to try and make it work with Westbrook, and risk injury ?

He has already stated its not about the money or market, he has a 300 mil shoe contract.  He has also stated that his biggest wants are a stable front office and coach, with the ability to put the necessary pieces around him to win a title.

Bos has all NBA defense on the perimeter, a secondary scorer in IT. Ability to sign whoever he wants. Assets to visit trades if he agrees to sign. A coach and gm under contract for 6 years.

it may be the homer speaking but I really really want Durant. I still don't think he's coming and somehow I think he will go to a team we labeled as "not a chance", or "it won't work".

But I sure hope I am wrong :'(. I don't think when was the last time I was this anxious for FA

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 12:33:36 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think it's between us, OKC and GSW. If I had to make the line:

OKC 70%
Boston 15%
GS 10%
Other 5%

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 01:12:55 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

The thing us homers (me included) are forgetting is there's no other big time names out there that he can join forces with. I mean lets be real he can't be thrilled to join forces with Al freaking Horford. I'd like our chances if there were better FA out there that can be had.

I mean as far as bigs go would you rather play with Draymond Green, Lamarcus Aldridge or Al Horford? Curry, Chris Paul or IT? I think we're way on the outside looking in maybe 5% chance of landing him basically feel like we hardly have any chance
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:26:26 AM by j804 »
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 01:46:07 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
One thing left out of the OPs article is that Durant has given Ainge a list of players he wants to play with.  I assume one or more of those are free agents.  The rumor is, one is Horford.  You could guess one might be Kevin Love since Durant and Love are such good friends.  Maybe Jimmy Butler.

The point is, if Horford is one of those players, the only team on the list that can sign both are the Celtics.  The only team on the list that could add the salary in a trade without crushing it's core is the Celtics.

I also want to say, I can't see San Antonio renouncing Tim Duncan after all the below market deals he has taken for them.  I just can't even imagine that happening.

If Bogut doesn't get his knee crashed into, Golden State probably wins another championship.  So I can't see Golden State letting Bogut, their entire bench, and Iggy (who they desperately need to guard Lebron) go just to fit one more piece of the puzzle.  What made them great was their depth.

Miami also doesn't seem like a fit at all.