Author Topic: How does a draft and stash contract work?  (Read 1505 times)

How does a draft and stash contract work?
« on: June 27, 2016, 04:47:44 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
So saw we draft a guy already under contract with another (foreign) ball club.   Like our #16 pick.   He goes over seas and finishes out his contract.   Does that mean we have his rights if he ever comes to america and play ball.  And that contract is then based on the 2016 #16 rookie scale?   Or does it mean we can pay him what ever we want in 2017/2018 when he comes over.......

Diggles

Re: How does a draft and stash contract work?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 04:52:17 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
So saw we draft a guy already under contract with another (foreign) ball club.   Like our #16 pick.   He goes over seas and finishes out his contract.   Does that mean we have his rights if he ever comes to america and play ball.  And that contract is then based on the 2016 #16 rookie scale?   Or does it mean we can pay him what ever we want in 2017/2018 when he comes over.......

We have his rights until 1 year after his current contract ends.  That clock gets reset if he signs another pro contract.  He would still be subject to the 2016 rookie scale if he comes over in the next few years (I believe it is 3 years, but I'm not 100%), but after that he is free to negotiate any contract
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 05:09:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

We have his rights until 1 year after his current contract ends.  That clock gets reset if he signs another pro contract.  He would still be subject to the 2016 rookie scale if he comes over in the next few years (I believe it is 3 years, but I'm not 100%), but after that he is free to negotiate any contract

Actually, he's subject to the rookie scale of whatever year he signs.  Beyond three years he's no longer subject to the rookie scale, but you need cap room to sign him.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 05:26:30 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Gotcha.... so two of the 8 guys we drafted... two are under contract, two were trades and the other 4 we will invite to summer league to play with our other youngsters.     So really we only have 4 players to evaluate this offseason and go in FA.   

Another Question.....

We can trade draft rights to those two players right.   And that will not count agains anyones payroll.   
Diggles

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 05:51:09 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
Gotcha.... so two of the 8 guys we drafted... two are under contract, two were trades and the other 4 we will invite to summer league to play with our other youngsters.     So really we only have 4 players to evaluate this offseason and go in FA.   

Another Question.....

We can trade draft rights to those two players right.   And that will not count agains anyones payroll.

After the start of the season, yes.  Until the season starts, though, the first rounders still have a cap hold.  Second rounders either have no cap hold or have the league minimum as a cap hold
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 06:11:49 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
What happened to that Turkish big man we stashed a few years ago? (can't think of his name)

The Thornton dude played in Australia last season and may participate in SL again.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 06:18:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What happened to that Turkish big man we stashed a few years ago? (can't think of his name)

The Thornton dude played in Australia last season and may participate in SL again.
Who, Erden? We signed him, played him, traded him to Cleveland, and then he went back to Europe because he couldn't stay in one piece. It's a pity, really, because he had some skills.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 06:19:49 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Do you mean Colton Iverson?  He's not Turkish, but he's been playing in the Turkish league the past couple of years.  He'll probably be playing there next year, too
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 06:30:46 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Who, Erden? We signed him, played him, traded him to Cleveland, and then he went back to Europe because he couldn't stay in one piece. It's a pity, really, because he had some skills.

Semih is a month away from being 30 now. How the time flies! It is indeed a bummer how injuries derailed his career, though. He was decent. And he's been efficient over in europe.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Do you mean Colton Iverson?  He's not Turkish, but he's been playing in the Turkish league the past couple of years.  He'll probably be playing there next year, too
I was thinking of Erden, but I forgot about Iverson who had the size and seemed like a hard worker but didn't have the skills.