Author Topic: Jaylen Brown ROY ?  (Read 4964 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown ROY ?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 04:20:06 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I think he can have a nice future, but it's going to take him a few years.

One of the Philly superstar prospects (embiid or simmons) will probably be ROY.

I've never heard of a "games played" criteria in the NBA for rookie status.  As far as I know, it is your first year of being employed by an NBA franchise.  A player who plays an entire season in the D-League would not be a rookie the next season.  That goes for sitting the bench or injured as well.

Baseball and the NHL have weird rookie rules, I've never heard of any in the NBA or NFL.

Griffin and Noel qualified after sitting out their rookie seasons, so I'd imagine Embiid will as well

If you say so, I've never heard of that.  It doesn't seem to be easily searchable either.

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 04:24:29 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think he can have a nice future, but it's going to take him a few years.

One of the Philly superstar prospects (embiid or simmons) will probably be ROY.

I've never heard of a "games played" criteria in the NBA for rookie status.  As far as I know, it is your first year of being employed by an NBA franchise.  A player who plays an entire season in the D-League would not be a rookie the next season.  That goes for sitting the bench or injured as well.

Baseball and the NHL have weird rookie rules, I've never heard of any in the NBA or NFL.

Griffin and Noel qualified after sitting out their rookie seasons, so I'd imagine Embiid will as well

If you say so, I've never heard of that.  It doesn't seem to be easily searchable either.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6479861
Griffin accepted the Rookie of the Year award on Wednesday, becoming the NBA's first unanimous choice for the award in 21 years.

The No. 1 overall draft pick out of Oklahoma in 2009 missed all of the 2009-10 season after breaking his kneecap in the Clippers' final preseason game. But Griffin returned with one of the most impressive debut campaigns in a generation.

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 04:24:59 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Brown smart bradley crowder will create a defensive wall... thats all i care.... smart and brown will avg over 12ppg

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2016, 04:29:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why stop there? I think he'll be finals* MVP!
*Regular Season and Finals MVP

Im expecting 35/9/7 with 76% from 3.
76% from three and only averaging 35 a game? Dude should be putting up 60 a night if shooting 76% from 3.
 ;) ;D

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2016, 04:39:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Apparently you can bet on ROY.   Ben Simmons has top odds followed by Buddy Hield and Brandon Ingram.   Embiid is 7th.  Jaylen Brown is tied for 12th with a bunch of other guys.  (Bender, Malachi Ricahrdson, Caris LeVert, Brice Johnson)
Simmons-Hield-Ingram seems fair.

If Brown wins it thatd be incredibly impressive because it would mean he would outperform guys like Simmons and Ingram and older players like Dunn and Embiid who are all on trash teams where they are forcefed touches and minutes while he carves them out on a playoff team.

Either that or somethings gone horribly wrong and we are a trash team somehow.
It's kinda funny that Dunn and Embiid were born within a couple days of each other.    Hield is a few months older than both.

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2016, 04:51:27 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Players of bad teams will get more playing time have a much better chance at it. Brown is very young and will struggle in the beginning to find minutes.

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 05:23:35 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yeah, ROY can be deceiving, like the time recently when Michael Carter-Williams won it.   :o

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2016, 05:25:17 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Ben Simmons is physically ready for the NBA and he seems mentally ready. He'll also be in a situation in Philly where he'll have lots of opportunities to put up numbers. The only thing I could see derailing his inevitable ROY campaign would be if Philly can't unclog their center situation and they try to shoehorn Simmons into a lineup he doesn't fit into and ask him to do things he can't yet.

But with Ingram having some physical maturing to do, and Brown and Dunn fighting for a starting spot (against Crowder and Rubio, respectively) I think it's Simmons award to lose.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2016, 05:56:42 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Exactly why people end up turning on the players, they don't meet your lofty expectations and you blame them for it. I'll be happy if he can do more than Young atp.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »

Offline Dedalus

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Jaylen Brown, I'm sorry. I was wrong. I don't even like Noel and think you'll be the rookie of the year. After watching your HS game vs. Montverde Academy, reading Isiah Thomas's comments, and careful thought about how hard staining a wall with Gatorade could be - glad you're a Celtic.

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 06:13:19 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Probably isn't ROY because others will have better opportunities to shine.  However, I don't understand how anyone concludes definitively that JB will not get starter-type minutes in his rookie year. 
Smart (albeit on a worse team) averaged 27 MPG his rookie season.  JB apparently already has NBA defensive skills, and his offense is probably better than Smart's is now (never mind Marcus' rookie year).  Unless Brown shows worse than advertised in SL and pre-season, I wouldn't be surprised if he averages 25-30 MPG -- and gets solid minutes early on.

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2016, 06:23:44 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Probably isn't ROY because others will have better opportunities to shine.  However, I don't understand how anyone concludes definitively that JB will not get starter-type minutes in his rookie year. 
Smart (albeit on a worse team) averaged 27 MPG his rookie season.  JB apparently already has NBA defensive skills, and his offense is probably better than Smart's is now (never mind Marcus' rookie year).  Unless Brown shows worse than advertised in SL and pre-season, I wouldn't be surprised if he averages 25-30 MPG -- and gets solid minutes early on.

I totally expect him to get 20-30 minutes, and likely make one of the All-Rookie teams, but he won't have the usage rate and counting stats of his fellow top picks, which should take him out of the running for ROY.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2016, 06:31:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
My money is on Embiid. The Sixers have been banking hard on him to be their franchise player, he will get the opportunities. I'm sure they will also move Okafor or Noel before training camp. On pure talent and physical gifts, Embiid is a level above any of the rookies from the most recent draft.

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 06:47:14 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I believe Duncan was the last one to win ROY in a winning team.

EDIT:

It's Amare Stoudemire

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2016, 06:57:52 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I believe Duncan was the last one to win ROY in a winning team.

EDIT:

It's Amare Stoudemire

If Jaylen is excellent, it'll be interesting to see how much weight voters put on the quality of the team. Obviously, you see that happening with MVP and All-NBA, but, as you pointed out, it's quite rare to have an impact rookie on a very good team.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers