Author Topic: Steve Kyler's Draft grades  (Read 1332 times)

Steve Kyler's Draft grades
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:28:01 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-grading-the-2016-nba-draft/

Boston Celtics

Round 1: Jaylen Brown (3), Guerschon Yabusele (16), Ante Zizic (23)

Round 2: Demetrius Jackson (45), Ben Bentil (51), Abdel Nader (58)

This was not the way Celtics fans had hoped the draft would play out, but when you can’t find takers for all the picks, you eventually have to use them and Boston did a good job.

Jaylen Brown was Danny Ainge’s guy from very early in this process. There was a sense the C’s were drafting Kris Dunn to hold him hostage for additional assets, but in the end the C’s went with their plan and drafted Brown. He is a super athlete with a very high basketball IQ. He’ll improve in time as a shooter, but is a very good piece for the Celtics. In terms of value, there may have been a few better options on the board so the C’s get dinged a little there, but in terms of solving roster problems, he adds depth at small forward and he can play right away.

Guerschon Yabusele is a monster. He’s big and athletic and was a rising star among NBA teams during the final weeks of the draft process. Like Terry Rozier last year, if the C’s wanted him they had to take him at No. 16 or he’d have been gone by No. 23. There is tremendous upside to his game and while there were a few better prospects on the board, the C’s did pretty well here. He may or may not play this year, so that’s to be determined. As for roster need, he does not slot into an immediate hole at this time.

Ante Zizic was also a nice get for the C’s, as he is one of the best rounders in the draft he was considered the top Euro player after Dragan Bender by most NBA teams, so that’s a ton of value for the C’s at 23. Like Yabusele, he could play abroad next season, which impacts the grade a little. As for roster need, if he plays he could slot in at center and that’s an areas the C’s need to improve on.

Demetrius Jackson took a pretty big tumble and the C’s don’t have a need for him anywhere, as they are loaded at the guard spots. It’s hard to imagine that Jackson makes the active roster and may end up spending the bulk of his rookie year in the D-League. There was value to be had in the pick, but the last thing the C’s needed was another guard.

Ben Bentil was a good get at 51. He is an electric scorer, but like Jackson there simply may not be a place for him on the C’s roster without a trade of some kind.

Abdel Nader was a good late-round draft pick; however, like the others drafted in the second round, he may end up in the D-League all year with little chance of making the C’s roster.

Give that the C’s were swinging for the fences, this draft seems like a letdown, but overall the talent the C’s selected was good and it fits in with the roster they have; it just was not a very sexy draft.

GRADE: B+

My grade too subject to where I see Brown. Not my pick, but otherwise I was happy with the picks and Brown's a reasonable pick as best roster fit, high upside, and unlikely to bust completely because of his D. Advanced stats aren't great for his future offense, but his shot is not obviously broken. The Sixers deal sucked and no one knows what the Bulls' deal was, so I'm fine with the way the draft played out and they kept their cap flexibility. Wanted a deal, but not a stupid one.

Re: Steve Kyler's Draft grades
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
deleted

Re: Steve Kyler's Draft grades
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:34:08 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Seems like a fair assessment...of course if Jaylen crushes it...this will be an A++!