Author Topic: some days i wonder if fans are just ignorant or mean  (Read 7760 times)

Re: some days i wonder if fans are just ignorant or mean
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2016, 09:45:47 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
because marcus was picked at 6 he is a bust-i say he is the best young defender that i have ever watched as a rookie
nobody takes into consideration the catastrophic injuries and the down time and after effects to play and stats
milsap claims he was tired -i have never heard marcus opt out like that
-he didn't tell people how much his ankle hurt till midway through the summer
 when it was better
-never used injuries as an excuse for poor shooting last year
now the fans are starting in on brown his shining moment to become a celtic at 19yrs old and he gets booed-what is wrong with you people
danny did not destroy the culture that is the boston celtics,he is rebuilding  with a young coach an exciting team with a high draft positions while never tanking
 this years draft was accomplished while  leaving room for a double max-
you are lucky to have this orginization,managment and core of young players that have reached the playoffs twice and if those imjuries didn't occur i believe could have beat atlanta-

Here's the top 10 in the 2014 draft

1.Wiggins
2. Jabari Parker
3. Joel Embiid
4. Aaron Gordon
5. Dante Exum
6. Marcus Smart
7. Julius Randle
8. Nik Stauskas
9. Noah Vonleh
10. Elfrid Payton

You could make an arguement (and I don't know if you'd win, but it's at least there to be made) that Smart was the third best player taken in that draft. 

He was literally the only player in that group to impact a playoff game last year.

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2016, 09:50:28 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I think Celtic fans are mostly drunk.

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2016, 09:54:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Boston has a great tradition of discourse and honesty. William James once called it the "conversation capital of America." Look: "fireworks" were promised. And none were delivered. Brown is consistent with the type of player Danny has been drafting for years - the great majority of whom haven't panned out. Shooting translates. Danny has drafted a bunch of non shooters.
Revisionist history is fantastic. Especially when it is patently false.

Virtually every player that Ainge has picked in the first round has amounted to some sort of a rotation NBA player. That's far from a given, and is an especially strong asset given that he's only made a handful of picks in the lottery.

Ainge has also picked quite a number of shooters. I'm not surprise you don't remember them (hint: they didn't pan out). Gabe Pruitt, Gerald Green, JR Giddens, James Young, RJ Hunter (and later in the second round, guys like Lester Hudson ETWaun Moore, and Kris Joseph) all came into the league billed  as shooters (of various degree of capability). None of them has amounted to anything significant in the league with the exception of Green and Moore, and they're not exactly world beaters.

Umm, you just contradicted yourself, or did I just miss Fab Melo, Jujuan Johnson and the other guys highlighted, above, suddenly becoming any form of a rotation player, although I think it's too early to say anything about Hunter, in an alternate universe? ;D That's at least a fair amount of misses, so I also don't think that you can say that 'virtually every player Ainge has drafted in the first round has amounted to some sort of a rotation NBA player', or have I misunderstood you?
So.. You are arguing the "posters are mean" side of the debate?

I wasn't commenting on that at all.  I was addressing the assertion that 'virtually every first round pick by Ainge has turned into a rotation player'.

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2016, 09:56:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
because marcus was picked at 6 he is a bust-i say he is the best young defender that i have ever watched as a rookie
nobody takes into consideration the catastrophic injuries and the down time and after effects to play and stats
milsap claims he was tired -i have never heard marcus opt out like that
-he didn't tell people how much his ankle hurt till midway through the summer
 when it was better
-never used injuries as an excuse for poor shooting last year
now the fans are starting in on brown his shining moment to become a celtic at 19yrs old and he gets booed-what is wrong with you people
danny did not destroy the culture that is the boston celtics,he is rebuilding  with a young coach an exciting team with a high draft positions while never tanking
 this years draft was accomplished while  leaving room for a double max-
you are lucky to have this orginization,managment and core of young players that have reached the playoffs twice and if those imjuries didn't occur i believe could have beat atlanta-

Here's the top 10 in the 2014 draft

1.Wiggins
2. Jabari Parker
3. Joel Embiid
4. Aaron Gordon
5. Dante Exum
6. Marcus Smart
7. Julius Randle
8. Nik Stauskas
9. Noah Vonleh
10. Elfrid Payton

You could make an arguement (and I don't know if you'd win, but it's at least there to be made) that Smart was the third best player taken in that draft. 

He was literally the only player in that group to impact a playoff game last year.

Wow, what a crappy draft, lol ;D. Outside of Wiggins, I'd say that the next best players from this class are Clarkson, Jokic, and Hood, but that's really about it.  Slim pickings.

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2016, 10:37:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Boston has a great tradition of discourse and honesty. William James once called it the "conversation capital of America." Look: "fireworks" were promised. And none were delivered. Brown is consistent with the type of player Danny has been drafting for years - the great majority of whom haven't panned out. Shooting translates. Danny has drafted a bunch of non shooters.

Virtually every player that Ainge has picked in the first round has amounted to some sort of a rotation NBA player. That's far from a given, and is an especially strong asset given that he's only made a handful of picks in the lottery.

Ainge has also picked quite a number of shooters. I'm not surprise you don't remember them (hint: they didn't pan out). Gabe Pruitt, Gerald Green, JR Giddens, James Young, RJ Hunter (and later in the second round, guys like Lester Hudson ETWaun Moore, and Kris Joseph) all came into the league billed  as shooters (of various degree of capability). None of them has amounted to anything significant in the league with the exception of Green and Moore, and they're not exactly world beaters.

Umm, you just contradicted yourself, or did I just miss Fab Melo, Jujuan Johnson and the other guys highlighted, above, suddenly becoming any form of a rotation player, although I think it's too early to say anything about Hunter, in an alternate universe? ;D That's at least a fair amount of misses, so I also don't think that you can say that 'virtually every player Ainge has drafted in the first round has amounted to some sort of a rotation NBA player', or have I misunderstood you?
So far, the jury is no longer out on the following players:

Busts drafted in the first round: Giddens, Fab Melo, Johnson.
Rotation players drafted in the first round: Jefferson, West, Allen, Green, Bradley, Sullinger, Smart, Olynyk.

7-8 of 11 is pretty good in my book, considering that the highest pick of the lot was what, 13th (Olynyk).

Anyway, this is kind of tangential. Your argument was that "shooting translates" which is questionable at least.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Umm, you just contradicted yourself, or did I just miss Fab Melo, Jajuan Johnson and the other guys highlighted, above, suddenly becoming any form of a rotation player, although I think it's too early to say anything about Hunter, in an alternate universe? ;D That's at least a fair amount of misses, so I also don't think that you can say that 'virtually every player Ainge has drafted in the first round has amounted to some sort of a rotation NBA player', or have I misunderstood you?
So far, the jury is no longer out on the following players:

Busts drafted in the first round: Giddens, Fab Melo, Johnson.
Rotation players drafted in the first round: Jefferson, West, Allen, Green, Bradley, Sullinger, Smart, Olynyk.

7-8 of 11 is pretty good in my book, considering that the highest pick of the lot was what, 13th (Olynyk).

Anyway, this is kind of tangential. Your argument was that "shooting translates" which is questionable at least.

I believe you're confusing me with someone else, because I never made that argument ;D. Also, would you not count James Young as a bust?  I'm not sure how to classify Gerald Green under this criteria, given that he's been all over the place in various roles and leagues over the years, so maybe he should just be put off to one side ;D. I'd put players taken in the lottery in another category, as well, but that's just me.

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2016, 10:48:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think Celtic fans are mostly drunk.
Well what's wrong with that?

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2016, 10:57:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I believe you're confusing me with someone else, because I never made that argument ;D. Also, would you not count James Young as a bust?  I'm not sure how to classify Gerald Green under this criteria, given that he's been all over the place in various roles and leagues over the years, so maybe he should just be put off to one side ;D. I'd put players taken in the lottery in another category, as well, but that's just me.
Sure, take him out and consider Young a bust. 7 of 11 for an assortment of picks ranging from 13 to 30. Of them, one, maximum two that came in the league with the reputation of a shooter (West, perhaps Olynyk). The argument of whoever posted that originally still doesn't compute.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2016, 11:07:03 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Sure, take him out and consider Young a bust. 7 of 11 for an assortment of picks ranging from 13 to 30. Of them, one, maximum two that came in the league with the reputation of a shooter (West, perhaps Olynyk). The argument of whoever posted that originally still doesn't compute.

Okay.  I'm not even sure how we got to this point, to be honest, so don't worry about it ;D.

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2016, 12:29:13 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't think Smart deserves the hate that he gets on here.  Some people go way to far with the name calling, suggesting that he's a bum, useless, garbage, etc.  That's not fair on him at all.

BUT for those who respectfully apply constructive criticism about his game, I think that is fair.  I don't think it's wrong for people to "call a spade a spade" so to speak. 

To say he flops too much  that's fair, because he does.  To say he has terrible shot selection - that's fair, because he does. To say he's not a good shooter - that's fair because at this point in time, he's not a good shooter by any stretch of the imagination.  To say he has got limited ball handling skills, playmaking skills an outright athleticism - all fair, because to an extent all are true.

It's not really fair to say he's going to be a bust, because he's still got a lot of career ahead of him.  I think it's fair to say he's been a bit of a disappointment though, at least on the offensive end of the floor and (to a degree) attitude wise.  But he's a young kid, I'm sure he'll improve in both of those areas.

The booing towards Brown was downright rude, disrespectful, and completely uncalled for.  Anybody who was involved in it should be utterly ashamed of themselves and don't deserve to call themselves Celtics fans. 

I hated the idea of getting Bender or Murray in this draft - hated the idea with a passion.  Would have been hugely disappointed if that happened.   But I would NEVER boo an 18 / 19 year old kid on (possibly) the biggest day of his life, just because I wasn't a fan of him being in Boston.  That's disgraceful behavior.