Author Topic: some days i wonder if fans are just ignorant or mean  (Read 7743 times)

Re: some days i wonder if fans are just ignorant or mean
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 03:12:39 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
"Some days, i wonder if fans are just ignorant or mean" ignorant is not stupid but lacking information or experience and mean there are some mean posters
what was that collective booing in NY
calling marcus a bust after an injury filled two years at 22years old-marcus shot 34% from 3 his first season while plagued by high ankle sprain that effected lift and first step
danny didn't trade so as to keep his two max player option open
how did dany acquire so many picks,how did we get the knicks possible lottery pics ,how did we get isaiah,turner,chrowder
i have posted so many times the type a severity of smarts injuries and recovery court time and how it alters stats and this is from my injury history playing ball--the difference at pro level is disabling
a rookie with no lift and slowed first step being criticised for not getting to the hoop-
rose has gone from all star to give away because he lost his explosiveness-
a 19year old kid gets drafted third and the announcement gets booed
- it looks great to kevin durant as how loyal and intelligent boston fans are
, while management keeps its cap in an attempt to let durant bring in his guy
-has anybody watched brown? danny had him in twice,did you see him play against simmons or thon maker before college-the kid said he felt punched in the gut when people questioned his love for the game-fans can be brutal in how they express their opinions or in their timing-and i expect that a lot of it was alcohol related but it was in bad taste

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Boston has a great tradition of discourse and honesty. William James once called it the "conversation capital of America." Look: "fireworks" were promised. And none were delivered. Brown is consistent with the type of player Danny has been drafting for years - the great majority of whom haven't panned out. Shooting translates. Danny has drafted a bunch of non shooters.

Great, you're waving a flag for management. Whoa! And maybe you have some valid points. But - maybe those who think management is not doing a great job have valid points also.

How do you contribute to the great Bostonian tradition of conversation and discourse by calling those who hold a different opinion "ignorant," or "mean." That's teenager talk. Don't strike out at other people merely because you disagree. Be willing to listen.

I'm all for being convinced that this team will be great next year. Explain to me why Smart will develop next year. Tell me how Brown is NBA ready. Point out how a pure shooter like Hield at 3 will prove unnecessary. But don't call me childish names because you have a different opinion.

Not only does it cause me to lose respect for you - it leads me to wonder whether all those who support management have a similarly limited capacity to reason as to leave nothing but resort to insults. In simple terms: your ad hominem attacks dishonor both yourself, and your arguments.
really?
 I mean the Celtics are in a great position. The Nets trade was a bona fide robbery. The Jae Crowder Isaiah Thomas and Avery Bradley contracts are all golden and signing and then extending Brad Stevens was brilliant. Furthermore, this is a rebuilding team that won 48 games last year then added a top 3 pick, had up to 50 mil in cap space and even if we strike out on that we were i believe the 4th youngest(number could be completely wrong Im more or less pulling it out my ass) team in the league last year and then we add what projects to be another top 10 pick in a loaded draft next year.

This is also the same management team that turned all Jefferson a number 5 pick and a ton of trash into KG and Ray Allen and won a championship.

Lets not act like those who "support management" are supporting Billy King. Also what does that even mean. Am I supporting management because I trust Ainge to make good trades and I trust that had there been a good trade available  he would have made it? that seems logical. Am I supporting management when I am OK with the Brown pick because I did not think there was a clear cut BPA? Am I supporting the management when I liked the Rozier pick because the only guys who I felt might have been BPA were Bobby POrtis and RHJ and Portis I felt had a low ceiling?

This argument was directed at the original poster. I think to the extent he called those who disagreed with him "ignorant or mean," he was a discredit to those who support management. You ought to have words with him.

You bring up some worthwhile points about being a "young team." Likewise, your points about trusting Ainge to make a good trade is well taken. I would have preferred either the Okafor or Noel trade. Or I would have preferred he drafted Buddy Hield. ...we lacked shooting and leadership last year. I'm disappointed in Smart's decision-making, and I think the lack of spacing on offence is doing damage. Watching the Atlanta series, our team looked clumped up in the paint, while Atlanta was beautifully inside and outside. Who's right? I don't know. I see your point, but I think I have good points also.

Surely you can see how one could have some legitimate criticisms of Ainge, just as I can see how one could argue he is doing a good job.
Absolutely. My only problem with your post was this line.
it leads me to wonder whether all those who support management have a similarly limited capacity to reason as to leave nothing but resort to insults
Again, you worded it nicely, but the implication is clear. All those who disagree with me are probably idiots. It just came across as hypocritical to me, in what was otherwise a terrific post.

As for the good stuff. the basketball you make some interesting points, and none that Im really gonna disagree with. I was dissapointed when we took Brown.
Dissapointed. Had really hoped for a trade here.

Dunn seems much more coveted
The outside shooting was brutal but you have to remember we were without Bradley (our best shooting gaurd), basically without Olynyk (our highest percentage shooter) and Crowder's ankle rendered him more or less useless as a shooter. When a team with shooting issues basically loses 3 of its 5 best shooters its gonna be bad. However, its still an issue and one that needs to be addresses before this team really contends. I wouldnt have minded the Hield pick because I believe he will turn into a solid defender and i could easily see him becoming JJ Reddick with OK defense, but I just didnt think there was a clear enough gap between any of the 3-8 prospects to have a serious issue with brown and with his athleticism and work ethic I think his ceiling is pretty high.

Had we drafted Chriss I would have been p---ed. Everyone else would have yielded the same reaction.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 03:56:10 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Boston has a great tradition of discourse and honesty. William James once called it the "conversation capital of America." Look: "fireworks" were promised. And none were delivered. Brown is consistent with the type of player Danny has been drafting for years - the great majority of whom haven't panned out. Shooting translates. Danny has drafted a bunch of non shooters.

Great, you're waving a flag for management. Whoa! And maybe you have some valid points. But - maybe those who think management is not doing a great job have valid points also.

How do you contribute to the great Bostonian tradition of conversation and discourse by calling those who hold a different opinion "ignorant," or "mean." That's teenager talk. Don't strike out at other people merely because you disagree. Be willing to listen.

I'm all for being convinced that this team will be great next year. Explain to me why Smart will develop next year. Tell me how Brown is NBA ready. Point out how a pure shooter like Hield at 3 will prove unnecessary. But don't call me childish names because you have a different opinion.

Not only does it cause me to lose respect for you - it leads me to wonder whether all those who support management have a similarly limited capacity to reason as to leave nothing but resort to insults. In simple terms: your ad hominem attacks dishonor both yourself, and your arguments.

If we are being 'honest', then technically, no.  No fireworks were ever 'promised'.

"I’ve got confidence that with all these picks and these young guys and our willingness to spend money that we can get there," he told the Globe. "We’re a patient group. We will take a multiyear plan if that’s what it takes. But I think this June there could be some fireworks. I think this June we’ve got so many pieces to this puzzle that we might be able to shake loose a real piece or two for this team going forward. So, I’m hoping it’s sooner rather than later."
http://archive.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/2014/03/13/wyc-grousbeck-optimistic-about-celtics-future/lYGvNXatP4uYP1FDasao8O/story.html?camp=rss:celtics&dlvrit=834394

There are no promises in that quote.  I emphasized some words that maybe folks missed when they first read it.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2016, 04:06:30 PM »

Offline KingofDaPlayazBall

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
I am sorry you missed Kevin Garnett as a rookie, Rollie.

Or Pippen.

Or Bill Russell.

Or Gary Payton

Or Fat Lever

Or Clyde Frazier

Or Jerry Sloan

Or Joe Dumars

Or Hondo ...

I'm getting tired here.

My point: Smart is FAR from the best rookie defender I've ever seen.

But I'll grant you this: Smart can out-flop any of them.
**** marcus smart is better than all of them

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2016, 04:22:13 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Or Pippen.

Or Bill Russell.

Or Gary Payton

Or Fat Lever

Or Clyde Frazier

Or Jerry Sloan

Or Joe Dumars

Or Hondo ...

I'm getting tired here.

**** marcus smart is better than all of them

I laughed.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2016, 04:23:39 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

If we are being 'honest', then technically, no.  No fireworks were ever 'promised'.

"I’ve got confidence that with all these picks and these young guys and our willingness to spend money that we can get there," he told the Globe. "We’re a patient group. We will take a multiyear plan if that’s what it takes. But I think this June there could be some fireworks. I think this June we’ve got so many pieces to this puzzle that we might be able to shake loose a real piece or two for this team going forward. So, I’m hoping it’s sooner rather than later."
http://archive.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/2014/03/13/wyc-grousbeck-optimistic-about-celtics-future/lYGvNXatP4uYP1FDasao8O/story.html?camp=rss:celtics&dlvrit=834394

There are no promises in that quote.  I emphasized some words that maybe folks missed when they first read it.

I stand by what I said earlier: I will never, ever again believe another word out of Wyc Grousbeck's mouth. You can parse his comments however you like.

He needs to shut up. He just makes himself and the club look bad when he opens his mouth.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 04:26:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No need to wonder....fans are both ignorant and mean.

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2016, 04:26:41 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

Or Pippen.

Or Bill Russell.

Or Gary Payton

Or Fat Lever

Or Clyde Frazier

Or Jerry Sloan

Or Joe Dumars

Or Hondo ...

I'm getting tired here.

Ehhh I dont know man... ive watched a lot of basketball in the modern era---2000s and on.. and I dont think I've ever even see anyone with Smarts instincts on defense.

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2016, 04:30:09 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I stand by what I said earlier: I will never, ever again believe another word out of Wyc Grousbeck's mouth. You can parse his comments however you like.

He needs to shut up. He just makes himself and the club look bad when he opens his mouth.

;D

That has got to be one of the funniest things I've read all week.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 04:31:07 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

I like Wyc. I think hes a good guys and a fan and i think he is committed to building the right way. Im a big Ainge fan so extending Ainge and Stevens was something I was really a fan of.

That said, he makes a lot of comments that whether intentional or not (I believe some are innocent, but most arent) drum up a lot of excitement for season tickets etc. Its good for business if theres buzz about the Cs. When I first saw Wyc get booed I felt bad, but looking back, I think it was right. The fans sent the message. If you are gonna hype us up and imply that we are about KG our way back into contention you better make good on that. Either that or shut up. Again, I love Wyc as an owner, I believe his heart is 100% in the right place, but the fans reminded him that he was always gonna be held accountable.

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 04:40:20 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
I'm bitter.

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2016, 05:34:19 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
One person on this blog claims he couldn't care less. He sounds very distraught and angry. However, he must care enough to keep dropping negative posts on the Boston Celtics. I will start a new thread claiming that fireworks have already happened.

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2016, 05:44:47 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Not to mention, that quote is from a letter to season ticket holders. It's not like Wyc held a press conference.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 05:48:49 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
No need to wonder....fans are both ignorant and mean.
The simplicity of this should end the thread!
Tp

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2016, 05:59:24 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Some are ignorant.  Some are mean.  Some are contrarians for the sake of being a contrarian.  Some are contrarians with no leg to stand on.  Some are contrarians that actually have legit cases.  Some are homers.  Some are homers with no leg to stand on. Some are homers that actually have legit cases. 

The above groups tends to be the most vocal on the blog.  Then you have a large group that tends to be closer to the middle. 

This draft & its fallout seems to have brought out the most vocal components on the blog.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team