Author Topic: some days i wonder if fans are just ignorant or mean  (Read 7759 times)

some days i wonder if fans are just ignorant or mean
« on: June 27, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
because marcus was picked at 6 he is a bust-i say he is the best young defender that i have ever watched as a rookie
nobody takes into consideration the catastrophic injuries and the down time and after effects to play and stats
milsap claims he was tired -i have never heard marcus opt out like that
-he didn't tell people how much his ankle hurt till midway through the summer
 when it was better
-never used injuries as an excuse for poor shooting last year
now the fans are starting in on brown his shining moment to become a celtic at 19yrs old and he gets booed-what is wrong with you people
danny did not destroy the culture that is the boston celtics,he is rebuilding  with a young coach an exciting team with a high draft positions while never tanking
 this years draft was accomplished while  leaving room for a double max-
you are lucky to have this orginization,managment and core of young players that have reached the playoffs twice and if those imjuries didn't occur i believe could have beat atlanta-

Re: some days i wonder if fans are just ignorant or mean
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 12:40:01 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I think the Media is part to blame for the fans reaction to Jaylen Brown. If you go back to the tape of Jaylen getting drafted, the ESPN analyzers went on and on about Danny trading the pick. They made it seem like a given that a trade was imminent. A backlash resulted when no trade happened. Jaylen is going to be a great player, he has nearly identical stats in the first year of college as Pierce.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 12:41:20 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I am sorry you missed Kevin Garnett as a rookie, Rollie.

Or Pippen.

Or Bill Russell.

Or Gary Payton

Or Fat Lever

Or Clyde Frazier

Or Jerry Sloan

Or Joe Dumars

Or Hondo ...

I'm getting tired here.

My point: Smart is FAR from the best rookie defender I've ever seen.

But I'll grant you this: Smart can out-flop any of them.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 12:44:47 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
TP - besides the things you mentioned, I will say impatience is one of them

that's how a rebuild works! it takes time for them to shape, if you build through the draft, you've gotta have patience. Golden State didn't exactly become contenders overnight with Curry, and it took time and he wasn't playing like an MVP until 2 years ago.

With that said, I think people are too impatient to wait that long, so they think we should definitely trade for a star as if it's an easy thing.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 12:47:09 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I think the Media is part to blame for the fans reaction to Jaylen Brown. If you go back to the tape of Jaylen getting drafted, the ESPN analyzers went on and on about Danny trading the pick. They made it seem like a given that a trade was imminent. A backlash resulted when no trade happened. Jaylen is going to be a great player, he has nearly identical stats in the first year of college as Pierce.

Jaylen Brown clearly was not the best player available when he was drafted.  Boston fans aren't stupid as some people think.  That is where the disappointment came from.  But mostly I feel the fans really wanted a trade for that pick more than anything.  With all the trade rumors surrounding Jahil Okafor and Nerlens to the Celtics, a lot of fans I think love the idea.  Not only did it not happen, number 3 pick was blown on a guy clearly not the best player available.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 12:48:57 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Can't it be both?

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

Jaylen Brown clearly was not the best player available when he was drafted.  Boston fans aren't stupid as some people think.  That is where the disappointment came from.  But mostly I feel the fans really wanted a trade for that pick more than anything.  With all the trade rumors surrounding Jahil Okafor and Nerlens to the Celtics, a lot of fans I think love the idea.  Not only did it not happen, number 3 pick was blown on a guy clearly not the best player available.

while there are a lot of people who hated the pick, there are also some who loved the pick. Me being for one, I respect the opinion of others but to be honest, just because Danny didn't draft the guy whom most people think is "the best player " available and then they complain about it and want him to get fired is a tad too excessive don't you think?

While I agree that Danny is not the best at drafting but I say he has done a great job as a GM.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Dragon Bender - unknown kid that could not crack rotation in a lesser league.
Murray - decent shooter in college, FT shooting a bit low, predictor that he will not be as good of a shooter in the NBA. Defense non existent.
Dunn - 22 year old with reoccurring injury issues. Seemingly a decent PG - I for one think Isaiah is better.
Hield - lights out shooter, decent athlete. Rather predictable offensive game, has two or three offensive moves that made him successful in college.
Brown - outstanding athlete, and defender. Can get to the hoop, something our team desperately needs. Played in a questionable  system with players that did not complement his game. Often triple teamed.

From what I see, Brown is the most well rounded prospect, and proved to be a good shooter in all the workouts with various teams.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 01:05:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Or Pippen.

Or Bill Russell.

Or Gary Payton

Or Fat Lever

Or Clyde Frazier

Or Jerry Sloan

Or Joe Dumars

Or Hondo ...

I'm getting tired here.

I saw Garnett, Pippen, Payton, Lever, and Dumars in their rookie years.  The rest are before my time.

And, I'll absolutely put rookie Marcus Smart up against the first year version of any of the above guys as a defender.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

that's how a rebuild works! it takes time for them to shape, if you build through the draft, you've gotta have patience. Golden State didn't exactly become contenders overnight with Curry, and it took time and he wasn't playing like an MVP until 2 years ago.

With that said, I think people are too impatient to wait that long, so they think we should definitely trade for a star as if it's an easy thing.

I agree with you about the impatience but I also throw in a healthy dose of ignorance. Never chalk up to bad intentions what you can attribute to gross ignorance.

Impatience:
With a handful of exceptions who actually prefer losing, most folks here want the team to win.
But many fail to consider that there are 29 other teams trying to do the same thing. It takes two to make a trade and at the end of the season only one is truly successful. Odds are that any given team WON'T win for decades or more. But some can't simply deal with that and so they moan about any move made that doesn't help the team win right this very moment. I chalk part of that up as past experience for those who are under 40. Ainge managed to pull off a WIN NOW move with KG and Allen and that's what they saw as successful. So they wonder why the same thing can't happen again without taking the time to think about the incredibly different circumstances.

Ignorance:
Some here think because they played the latest NBA game on their Playstation and won the "title" it means that they know what they're doing and are smarter than the guys in the Front Office. They think blockbuster deals are easy to do. They cry about not getting the next big name to hit the trade rumors without any real comprehension of how that player may - or may not - fit within the rest of the team. Then there's the cost/benefit analysis of not just their on the court play but also the salary, age, locker room ramifications and so forth. They proclaim players busts or stars on the most common stats without performing any real analysis of how that player impacts his team. They constantly overvalue or undervalue the players on this or other teams. They watch a couple of Youtube clips and pass judgement on a player without seeing thousands of hours of tapes or in private workouts. They don't realize that to win the title takes both luck and skill and that sometimes things just don't go your way and there's nothing you can do about it. Because they are ignorant, they gravitate to the easiest-to-understand rebuild methods and have violent knee-jerk reactions to any other approach.

This wonderful combination is why you saw the knee-jerk reactions to the draft the other night. Almost all of them had nothing to do with the game of Jaylen Brown but the fact that Danny didn't go trade for their preferred binkie. So now you see the incessant moaning and wailing of the same group of posters saying the same thing over and over because they are both impatient and ignorant of the realities of basketball and the realities of how a NBA franchise is run.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 01:09:04 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

How was Brown "clearly" not BPA?  It was extremely close between the top 5.  Based on the information available, I thought Dunn was the BPA, but the fact that Danny picked Brown over him tells me that workouts, interviews, etc. told another story.  The difference between how I saw/see Brown and how I saw/see Dunn isn't so great that additional info (like the info Danny has access to) couldn't have totally flipped them.  A lot of people thinking that someone is the BPA is not necessarily the same as them being the BPA
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 01:09:07 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Or Pippen.

Or Bill Russell.

Or Gary Payton

Or Fat Lever

Or Clyde Frazier

Or Jerry Sloan

Or Joe Dumars

Or Hondo ...

I'm getting tired here.

I agree with others Smart is on par with most of those guys rookie season. Especially considering the Era and rules. But if we want to make a list of very good rookie denders I would also includeTony Allen.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
How about those ignorant AND mean? :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 01:15:09 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

I agree with you about the impatience but I also throw in a healthy dose of ignorance. Never chalk up to bad intentions what you can attribute to gross ignorance.

Impatience:
With a handful of exceptions who actually prefer losing, most folks here want the team to win.
But many fail to consider that there are 29 other teams trying to do the same thing. It takes two to make a trade and at the end of the season only one is truly successful. Odds are that any given team WON'T win for decades or more. But some can't simply deal with that and so they moan about any move made that doesn't help the team win right this very moment. I chalk part of that up as past experience for those who are under 40. Ainge managed to pull off a WIN NOW move with KG and Allen and that's what they saw as successful. So they wonder why the same thing can't happen again without taking the time to think about the incredibly different circumstances.

Ignorance:
Some here think because they played the latest NBA game on their Playstation and won the "title" it means that they know what they're doing and are smarter than the guys in the Front Office. They think blockbuster deals are easy to do. They cry about not getting the next big name to hit the trade rumors without any real comprehension of how that player may - or may not - fit within the rest of the team. Then there's the cost/benefit analysis of not just their on the court play but also the salary, age, locker room ramifications and so forth. They proclaim players busts or stars on the most common stats without performing any real analysis of how that player impacts his team. They constantly overvalue or undervalue the players on this or other teams. They watch a couple of Youtube clips and pass judgement on a player without seeing thousands of hours of tapes or in private workouts. They don't realize that to win the title takes both luck and skill and that sometimes things just don't go your way and there's nothing you can do about it. Because they are ignorant, they gravitate to the easiest-to-understand rebuild methods and have violent knee-jerk reactions to any other approach.

This wonderful combination is why you saw the knee-jerk reactions to the draft the other night. Almost all of them had nothing to do with the game of Jaylen Brown but the fact that Danny didn't go trade for their preferred binkie. So now you see the incessant moaning and wailing of the same group of posters saying the same thing over and over because they are both impatient and ignorant of the realities of basketball and the realities of how a NBA franchise is run.

TP for you, very well put

but to be fair, I play NBA 2k on my ps4 and my god is MyGM mode hard...I got fired 10 times before I even got them to the conference finals :D

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 01:33:17 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Impatience:

Ignorance:

TP for you, very well put

but to be fair, I play NBA 2k on my ps4 and my god is MyGM mode hard...I got fired 10 times before I even got them to the conference finals :D

Lol, I agree. MyGM is surprisingly more difficult than any other Association mode I've ever played on 2k
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about