Author Topic: CSN Monte Poole: if Durants leaves the Thunder it'll be for the Warriors  (Read 5703 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
That would be awful for his legacy.  What value is there for him, or Nike, if he joins a team to help under armour's guy win his 2nd title?  It would damage his rep.

Actually a very interesting point you bring up, re: Nike and UA. Windhorst mentioned this recently on the last True Hoop podcast.
It's a huge point, actually.  The exec in charge of Nike's global basketball business recently stepped down, because sales were failing:

Sales of basketball sneakers at Foot Locker fell by a mid-single digit percentage during the quarter. Despite strong interest in Under Armour's (UA) Stephen Curry basketball sneakers, Nike's LeBron and Kevin Durant lines "proved the most challenging" said Foot Locker. The company's chief, Richard Johnson, said Nike was starting to "reset the price relationship" on its signature basketball sneakers. In other words, Nike may be lowering some prices on LeBron and Durant styles in order to spur sales.

They are paying Durant a lot of money and need to rely on him to boost sales.   Him joining Golden State to be the sidekick to Under Armour's darling is just going to ensure that Steph and Under Armour stay competitive and relevant.   That doesn't help Nike at all.

Nike's issue are mostly about their price points. The KD8 and Lebron 13 were both in the $200-$220 range, while the Curry 2 topped out at $120 - even the kid's sizing was high at $130/$160 for Nike and $99 for Curry's. Leaving aesthetics out, UA offers comparable technology. Nike just overvalued themselves on the market and it backfired.

As far as this report, I still don't see any legitimate reason for him to leave OKC. I expect him to take a 1+1 deal to stay.

There have been numerous reports that he plans to find his long-term team this summer, because he doesn't want to go through this two summers in a row. That being said, it's very difficult for me to see him staying in OKC under that premise, because there's virtually no chance of Westbrook reupping there. He has LA-bound written all over him, and Durant isn't going to stay there without Westbrook. I'm guessing KD and Westbrook have had serious talks about the future, and if he even gave an inkling that he wouldn't stay next year and Durant is serious about not finding another new team next summer, then he won't stay in OKC.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I sure hope not.

The Warriors need Al Horford better than they need Kevin Durant. Klay and Steph need their shots. Draymond Green is at a point where he needs atleast 12 shots per game. Durant cuts their touches significantly.

Not to mention they would have to trade Andrew Bogut to get him, which means losing their defensive identity,

I would hate this...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
The only thing that worries me is Durant having a connection to Curry due to both having strong Christian faiths. I could see that being very attractive to Durant to share a team with another major Christian athlete.

On the other hand, Bradley is supposed to be a pretty faithful Christian athlete himself, so hopefully that's a draw for him, too.

And let's just take a moment and realize what a good guy Avery Bradley is. He's a consummate professional, and he's the perfect representation of what it is to be a Celtic. Here's a story that's been shared on here before regarding what type of person AB really is. I'd really like for him to retire a Celtic, that way I'd never have to root against him - http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/02/boston_celtics_avery_bradley_j.html

Much agree on Avery Bradley...outstanding young man.

As for Durant, hopefully people can appreciate him not wanting to go through this drama more than once in his life.  Although there are many who crave that spotlight and attention, he doesn't seem to be that type of person.

While coming to Boston will make this "his" team, as opposed to going to GSW to join "their" team, he knows that the Celtics have a lot of good pieces already in place and are very poised to make that next step up.  Adding KD to the team, along with "fill in the blank" FA, would make this team contenders for years to come.

Boston is the place young man...may God show that to you!

Rak

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
The only thing that worries me is Durant having a connection to Curry due to both having strong Christian faiths. I could see that being very attractive to Durant to share a team with another major Christian athlete.

On the other hand, Bradley is supposed to be a pretty faithful Christian athlete himself, so hopefully that's a draw for him, too.

And let's just take a moment and realize what a good guy Avery Bradley is. He's a consummate professional, and he's the perfect representation of what it is to be a Celtic. Here's a story that's been shared on here before regarding what type of person AB really is. I'd really like for him to retire a Celtic, that way I'd never have to root against him - http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/02/boston_celtics_avery_bradley_j.html

Much agree on Avery Bradley...outstanding young man.

As for Durant, hopefully people can appreciate him not wanting to go through this drama more than once in his life.  Although there are many who crave that spotlight and attention, he doesn't seem to be that type of person.

While coming to Boston will make this "his" team, as opposed to going to GSW to join "their" team, he knows that the Celtics have a lot of good pieces already in place and are very poised to make that next step up.  Adding KD to the team, along with "fill in the blank" FA, would make this team contenders for years to come.

Boston is the place young man...may God show that to you!

Rak

This is an underrated aspect of his decision, imo. I just posted another topic stating this fact + the assumption that Westbrook leaves in 2017 = him most likely changing teams this summer.

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
That would be awful for his legacy.  What value is there for him, or Nike, if he joins a team to help under armour's guy win his 2nd title?  It would damage his rep.

Actually a very interesting point you bring up, re: Nike and UA. Windhorst mentioned this recently on the last True Hoop podcast.
It's a huge point, actually.  The exec in charge of Nike's global basketball business recently stepped down, because sales were failing:

Sales of basketball sneakers at Foot Locker fell by a mid-single digit percentage during the quarter. Despite strong interest in Under Armour's (UA) Stephen Curry basketball sneakers, Nike's LeBron and Kevin Durant lines "proved the most challenging" said Foot Locker. The company's chief, Richard Johnson, said Nike was starting to "reset the price relationship" on its signature basketball sneakers. In other words, Nike may be lowering some prices on LeBron and Durant styles in order to spur sales.

They are paying Durant a lot of money and need to rely on him to boost sales.   Him joining Golden State to be the sidekick to Under Armour's darling is just going to ensure that Steph and Under Armour stay competitive and relevant.   That doesn't help Nike at all.

Nike's issue are mostly about their price points. The KD8 and Lebron 13 were both in the $200-$220 range, while the Curry 2 topped out at $120 - even the kid's sizing was high at $130/$160 for Nike and $99 for Curry's. Leaving aesthetics out, UA offers comparable technology. Nike just overvalued themselves on the market and it backfired.

As far as this report, I still don't see any legitimate reason for him to leave OKC. I expect him to take a 1+1 deal to stay.
Yeah I think Nike realizes this too- the KD 9 is going to be 150 dollars for adult sizing and it's got superior technology (flyknit) as far as being used as a basketball shoe. If KD were to join a bigger market, would Nike bump the price back up? And would they have any preference or would they talk to KD about joining a team such as GS  where the star of a rival company plays? I just don't think the fact that he plays in a small market is the reason his shoes aren't selling- I think it's a matter of the price being way too high for a shoe that isn't any better than the currys. And plus, compared to the previous 2 models, the 8s were pretty darn ugly IMHO. I just don't think that the shoe dilemma is going to play a role in where he goes.