Author Topic: Is Jimmy Butler completely off the table?  (Read 2009 times)

Is Jimmy Butler completely off the table?
« on: June 26, 2016, 07:40:26 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
I am sitting here listening to our slim chances of signing durant.

if we somehow get butler I think we have a good chance at signing him. I am hearing that the asking price was outrageous but I heard eric bledsoe and greg monroe are available. perhaps those two and a brooklyn pick would entice chicago to part with butler. Any other idea's or should we give up on jimmy butler ever coming to the celtics.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:19:34 PM by Redz »
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: Is Jimmy butler completely off the table?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 07:55:13 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Nah all we need is the green light from Durant and if that's who he wants us to sign to come here I think we have enough to get him. For starters gotta offer next years Brooklyn pick.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 08:19:38 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
No, I'd say the pitch to Durant will be along the lines of:
We have a deal in place for Jimmy which involves Jae Crowder and the 2017 BRK pick (+other stuff).
Danny just doesn't want to deal Jae unless Durant is a lock.
He figures that Jae is crucial to a championship at small forward if the superstar we acquire plays another position.
Eg Cousins at C or Griffin at PF.

Even if Durant doesn't come, Cousins will certainly be available within 18 months, or the Kings will at least listen to offers.

The 17' + 18' BRK picks will be enormous trade assets if things go to plan.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
If we get Durant, then I don't think there's a reason to get Butler, because I think Bradley would be a better fit at 2 beside him due to being non-ball-dominant and a better shooter. This, we shouldn't waste our assets on upgrading one of our strong positions. Rather, we should try and sign Horford and/or use our assets to trade for someone like Noel, Gasol, Cousins, or Love where we are much more at need.

Re: Is Jimmy Butler completely off the table?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 08:22:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The idea that we need Butler to land Durant is a dumb myth that gained traction.  If Butler was the key to signing Durant, the Bulls would be getting a meeting with Durant.

But I doubt Chicago is set on building around Butler.  He's a borderline star that could fetch a decent package.   As the offseason progresses, I'm sure they'll reapproach trading him.  They aren't going to get the kind of ridiculous pricetag they want, but they might get some decent assets.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 08:31:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When they traded Rose, I thought it was to hand the keys to Butler and make it his team.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 09:10:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
what good is a Butler that won't do tables? 'Get to the table now, James' LOL!!

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 09:38:51 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
The idea that we need Butler to land Durant is a dumb myth that gained traction.  If Butler was the key to signing Durant, the Bulls would be getting a meeting with Durant.

But I doubt Chicago is set on building around Butler.  He's a borderline star that could fetch a decent package.   As the offseason progresses, I'm sure they'll reapproach trading him.  They aren't going to get the kind of ridiculous pricetag they want, but they might get some decent assets.

I thought he was way overrated as well and was against almost all trades I heard concerning him.  I was looking up advanced stats earlier to see how bad Noel actually was, and it was pretty bad but why destroy the myth, and Butler was surprisingly good.  When you add in offense and defense he was a top ten player in the league on two different lists I found.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 09:39:32 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
After the egg Danny laid at the draft, what do you think?  There is no Butler and there is no Durant.  More years of first-round bounce mediocrity is what is at the table.  People should keep defending the nonsense.  Another 10 years to go, yay!

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 05:16:33 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
We don't know anything about the situation.
Maybe Butler is a cancer and provoke the downfall of the Bulls.
Maybe Danny doesn't think too highly of him.

I agree that it's a dumb myth that Butler would help to land KD.

I think we are fine with KD alone.
We just need to improve with our bigs + a vet 3pt shooter like Dudley.
We get a Horford or any good defender that can spread the floor and we are up their among favorites.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 07:24:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

So what do think are the odds of that happening.   I think we have a chance but it is a snowballs chance in heck.

We get a Horford or any good defender that can spread the floor and we are up their among favorites.

Agree with you about the bigs.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 07:55:34 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

So what do think are the odds of that happening.   I think we have a chance but it is a snowballs chance in heck.

Agree with you about the bigs.

I'm torn, I thought we had like 1% chance to land KD at first.
But the more I see what's going on, the more I start to think we might have a good chance.
If not this year, maybe it's already in plan for the next season.
It will be interesting to see what OKC do this summer. That might give us a hint (unless KD sign for 5 years).