Author Topic: What are the flaws on Brown really?  (Read 15395 times)

Re: What are the flaws on Brown really?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2016, 11:05:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

On the positive. I describe him as an Uber athletic, Snake. He slithers through the lane, he doesn't get many charges from what I've seen, because he's so nimble side stepping people.

Then, when he gets to the rim he's so strong, Long, and explosive that he finishes at the rim.

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2016, 11:23:11 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Kris Dunn's shot has more issues than Brown long term. So does Simmons.  They are going to be more set shooters like Magic was.  Or even Jason Kidd.  Brown has much less issues with his shot. He may never be a great shooter but he isn't MKG where his shot is broken. He'll probably be a fairly decent one.  Could be good if he really works at it over time.

Brown coughs it up a bit because he's not a ball handler or passer like those guys.

He's a crafty player though like Smart is.  He's not the scorer Ingram is.  But is crafty how he gets his points.  Plus just with his explosion he's much more explosive than Smart.

Smart has some moments but Brown is even more that.

Smart is crafty? :o

Also, in regards to this thread, I don't think the right question is being asked.  It's painfully obvious that he has a multitude of flaws and is an athlete as opposed to a basketball player, so my question is what are his strengths, and I mean in terms of skills.  Seriously, what does he do well besides dunking?  He's a poor decision maker, struggles to finish plays despite his athletic gifts, has minimal, at best, ballhandling skills, can't shoot, isn't that much of a rebounder, gets in foul trouble due to playing out of control, is a poor free throw shooter, and rarely uses his left hand.  Sounds like a great player (sarcasm) - where do I sign? ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBx6mAWYPU

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2016, 11:36:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

On the positive. I describe him as an Uber athletic, Snake. He slithers through the lane, he doesn't get many charges from what I've seen, because he's so nimble side stepping people.

Then, when he gets to the rim he's so strong, Long, and explosive that he finishes at the rim.
He actually gets called on a lot of charges.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2016, 11:41:52 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

He actually gets called on a lot of charges.

Ahahaha, awesome (sarcasm).

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 11:49:26 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Crazy thing is, they're murdering this guy for his shot, yet compare his stats with sharpshooter Buddy Hields frosh stats & Browns are better in about the same amount of minutes.

So I'd slow down a bit on the critiques. Gotta let this 19 yr old hog beast develop.

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2016, 09:04:32 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Except that he just has to develop? Intelligent kid.  Not arrogant.  Shot well in his workout. His shot is not broken.  It just has to develop.   People see these things as a negative.   People say he can't handle the ball.  Yes he can I've seen him do it.  He can shoot too. He can also jump out of the gym and make tough shots and practices them. He's closer to a guy like Kobe than anything else. I don't know if he has that upside but he really is.

He's 19 years old. The things people are knocking him on are very different than other players who have real flaws in their game.

If you can shoot, then ppl criticise you for having no upside.  If you can't then you're too raw. 

lol cant win here.

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 09:24:37 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Except that he just has to develop? Intelligent kid.  Not arrogant.  Shot well in his workout. His shot is not broken.  It just has to develop.   People see these things as a negative.   People say he can't handle the ball.  Yes he can I've seen him do it.  He can shoot too. He can also jump out of the gym and make tough shots and practices them. He's closer to a guy like Kobe than anything else. I don't know if he has that upside but he really is.

He's 19 years old. The things people are knocking him on are very different than other players who have real flaws in their game.
"Shot is not broken" doesn't mean much -- it's whether or not you can make it in a game. Gerald Green's shot took 8 years to "develop". People right now assume that if you're smart and work hard, results will come. That's not a given. He'll probably be fine, but the question marks are legitimate.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Lack of experience.

This kid just needs minutes in the big league. He's going hit some bumps in the road but I think he'll figure it out after a couple of year and really blossom into an NBA star. If he comes into camp focusing on defense I think Brad will give him some minutes. The kid could score a bunch on transition defense with Avery and Smart on the floor.

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2016, 09:48:25 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He doesn't project to do anything at an NBA level when he enters the league other than finishing in transition.

He may be able to do other things, but there's no way of saying for sure what those things are.
'

But the point is is he is very different than a guy like Gerald Green who was a dunk machine but not ready mentally.

People passed on Michael Jordan because he "couldn't  shoot" too and look how that turned out.

I liked Bender this draft for the same reasons.  I think he is very young but has good upside. I think he has length but not the athleticism Brown has though. Bender is somewhat more limited in that regard.  Both still good prospects though. I think both Phoenix and us did good.  We did better I feel.
Gerald Green was never a dunk machine for the Celtics.  He had a hard time getting to the rim from day one.  His jumper did look very promising, however.

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 10:12:30 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Kris Dunn's shot has more issues than Brown long term. So does Simmons.  They are going to be more set shooters like Magic was.  Or even Jason Kidd.  Brown has much less issues with his shot. He may never be a great shooter but he isn't MKG where his shot is broken. He'll probably be a fairly decent one.  Could be good if he really works at it over time.

Brown coughs it up a bit because he's not a ball handler or passer like those guys.

He's a crafty player though like Smart is.  He's not the scorer Ingram is.  But is crafty how he gets his points.  Plus just with his explosion he's much more explosive than Smart.

Your disbelief shows you either don't pay attention to Smart during games or you watch Smart play through poop-colored glasses.

Also, in regards to this thread, I don't think the right question is being asked.  It's painfully obvious that he has a multitude of flaws and is an athlete as opposed to a basketball player, so my question is what are his strengths, and I mean in terms of skills.  Seriously, what does he do well besides dunking? 

You're asking this about Brown? Seriously?

He's a poor decision maker, struggles to finish plays despite his athletic gifts, has minimal, at best, ballhandling skills, can't shoot, isn't that much of a rebounder, gets in foul trouble due to playing out of control, is a poor free throw shooter, and rarely uses his left hand.  Sounds like a great player (sarcasm) - where do I sign? ::)

Wrong, wrong, completely wrong, wrong, wrong, right, semi-right but overstated, totally wrong in a way that only someone who hasn't even watched two minutes of YouTube remixes could be. Your shooting percentage on making good points is atrocious. Are you actually trying to be right? Or are you just being a grumpy contrarian for ****s and giggles?

Apparently you are, in fact, familiar with using YouTube? Okay, great. Go watch full game highlights of Brown at Cal this year. Take off your poop-colored glasses.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 10:13:34 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Crazy thing is, they're murdering this guy for his shot, yet compare his stats with sharpshooter Buddy Hields frosh stats & Browns are better in about the same amount of minutes.

So I'd slow down a bit on the critiques. Gotta let this 19 yr old hog beast develop.

Ainge also mentioned in the press conference that Brown shot 38% from three in high school on around the same number of attempts, and as we all know shot just as well as Murray did in the Celtics workout.

Watching him play, his jumper doesn't look terrible to me.  It's not like he's a horrendous shooter like Rondo was at the start.  The kid has a half decent looking jumper and has shown on prior occasions that he's capable of making them at a decent rate, he just didn't shoot well in his freshman year. 

Does this mean we can bank on him becoming a good NBA shooter?  Of course not.  But I think the chance of him developing into a quality shooter is pretty high.

Is there a chance that Brown will be a bust?  Of course there is.  There's a chance that ANYBODY in the draft could become a bust.  Draft picks are risky business by nature - almost every single year there is a top 3 pick who ends up busting out.  That's just the nature of the draft - nobody truly knows who will become a star and who won't.

Looking at Brown, if nothing else he has top shelf physical attributes, a very impressive work ethic, and a ton of defensive potential.  The way I see it, the worst case is that he develops slowly and ends up peaking as a Jae Crowder clone - I can't see him developing into any less then that.

Best case scenario, he ends up a modern day version of Dominique Wilkens. 

I say the best thing we can do is stop trying to work out what he's going to be, and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2016, 10:23:23 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
here is something interesting about brown's shooting. it is a shot-chart for him. it is on a SoSH page, scroll down to poster "wade bogg's chicken dinner" and click on the spoiler.

3 point shot vary wildly. but from the left corner he shot 35% and from straight above the key he shot 41%. yet from the right corner he shot 8%. go figure.

indeed, from the right side of the half court, brown simply sucks at shooting. from from the LEFT side of the half court he is credible to good.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?threads/celtics-1st-round-selection-3rd-overall-jaylen-brown.14666/page-2
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238

Also, in regards to this thread, I don't think the right question is being asked.  It's painfully obvious that he has a multitude of flaws and is an athlete as opposed to a basketball player, so my question is what are his strengths, and I mean in terms of skills.  Seriously, what does he do well besides dunking?  He's a poor decision maker, struggles to finish plays despite his athletic gifts, has minimal, at best, ballhandling skills, can't shoot, isn't that much of a rebounder, gets in foul trouble due to playing out of control, is a poor free throw shooter, and rarely uses his left hand.  Sounds like a great player (sarcasm) - where do I sign? ::)

Crafty means you find ways to score points.  Smart is crafty considering how bad an offensive player he is right now. He still managed to score 10 ppg mainly in other ways.  Most of his points were on shots as the shot clock was expiring, on putbacks or finding a way to get in the lane.  It's not prototypical but crafty. If he ever b ecomes a good offensive player that stuff will pay off.

Smart is a crafty scorer right now.  Not a very good  one.

Crafty definition - clever at achieving one's aims by indirect or deceitful methods.

Bird was crafty but also very good.  So was Pierce.   Smart is just crafty.  He's a terrible offensive player everywhere else.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:10:27 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 11:03:34 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
In-game shooting and better control of the ball. Two things that Brown can improve over time. At least we didn't draft Bender who has a lot of improving to do ::)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2016, 11:05:13 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
here is something interesting about brown's shooting. it is a shot-chart for him. it is on a SoSH page, scroll down to poster "wade bogg's chicken dinner" and click on the spoiler.

3 point shot vary wildly. but from the left corner he shot 35% and from straight above the key he shot 41%. yet from the right corner he shot 8%. go figure.

indeed, from the right side of the half court, brown simply sucks at shooting. from from the LEFT side of the half court he is credible to good.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?threads/celtics-1st-round-selection-3rd-overall-jaylen-brown.14666/page-2

Crazy discrepancy, good observation, TP.

I think a lot of players just see the hoop from one side better than the other. I personally shot better from the left side than the right. I remember Charles Barkley said the same.  We are both right handed.