Author Topic: What are the flaws on Brown really?  (Read 15434 times)

Re: What are the flaws on Brown really?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 07:58:39 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Brown to me is like Marcus if Marcus was 6'7 and was more explosive on offense vs defense. Neither guy can shoot too good but people used to complain about why Marcus wasn't aggressive taking it to the basket.  Brown will do that.  Marcus scores on putbacks and as a cutter sometimes and driving.  Brown will do that even moreso. Plus be a good defender in his own right.

Marcus has some high flying putbacks as a rookie and is still developing. jaylen will basically do that ten fold.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 08:03:50 PM »

Offline Daddy Pinto

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
One thing to take into consideration was Jaylen's 31.4% usage rate while at Cal. In comparison that would rank just under Stephen Curry (31.6%) and just over Lillard (31.2%).

He was being asked to do more than he could possibly handle at such a young age. Given the right scenario I believe he can flourish.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 08:17:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
He doesn't project to do anything at an NBA level when he enters the league other than finishing in transition.

He may be able to do other things, but there's no way of saying for sure what those things are.

Defense, finishing in transition, offensive rebounding, three point shooting....

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

What did he do in college to show he has NBA level skills in those areas? It's all a question mark.
To be fair you could say that about any of these draftees outside of Simmons, right?

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 08:28:22 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
He doesn't project to do anything at an NBA level when he enters the league other than finishing in transition.

He may be able to do other things, but there's no way of saying for sure what those things are.

Defense, finishing in transition, offensive rebounding, three point shooting....

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

What did he do in college to show he has NBA level skills in those areas? It's all a question mark.
To be fair you could say that about any of these draftees outside of Simmons, right?

Not really.

But we've built an impressive collection of people who can't shoot. Guess Ainge wanted one more bricklayer.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 08:38:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he just puts his head down and charges to the hoop sometimes.   We know his shot is a work in progress but the former was a big part of him being labeled as poor basketball IQ.

That being said, I can't wait to see him in summer league.

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 08:50:09 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

'

But the point is is he is very different than a guy like Gerald Green who was a dunk machine but not ready mentally.

People passed on Michael Jordan because he "couldn't  shoot" too and look how that turned out.

I liked Bender this draft for the same reasons.  I think he is very young but has good upside. I think he has length but not the athleticism Brown has though. Bender is somewhat more limited in that regard.  Both still good prospects though. I think both Phoenix and us did good.  We did better I feel.
Green couldn't dunk in a game for years.

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 09:00:14 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Alright, I'll bite.

The dirty little secret is that Brown was better at finishing at the rim than Simmons in college. Simmons had 82 unassisted makes at the rim. Brown had 71. But on those shots, Simmons, with all his athleticism, only converted 54% of the time, while Brown converted 62% of the time. And that was with Cal's clogged floors. LSU's were more open. Simmons had an unreal 77% free throw rate (ft/fg), but Brown was impressive in his own right at 58%. For reference, Justise Winslow had a 44% free throw rate. 

All while Cal played at a paltry rating of 68 for pace, while LSU had 73. This shows that Simmons had more open court opportunities than Brown did.

Brown actually "projects" to be a better driver at the NBA level than Simmons.

Combine that with comfort and a developing consistency from the outside, and Brown might be a better scorer than Simmons at the NBA level.

It's not like Brown is a slouch at passing either (2 apg). Simmons is clearly superior in that regard, but Brown is not going to be a score-only guy. He has high IQ and good court vision. With an open court and better teammate shooting, it's not hard to "project" Brown as a good passer on the wing.

There is also reason to believe he "projects" to be a solid defender immediately. He had a 3.3 DBPM and also one of the highest defensive ratings on his team, meaning his team was significantly better defensively with him on the court. This shows that he knows how to help his team play good defense, and if you combine that with his elite athleticism, he "projects" to be a solid defender immediately.

Driving. Passing. Defense. He projects to do all at least above average level immediately in the NBA.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:03:43 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 09:38:43 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

Alright, I'll bite.

The dirty little secret is that Brown was better at finishing at the rim than Simmons in college. Simmons had 82 unassisted makes at the rim. Brown had 71. But on those shots, Simmons, with all his athleticism, only converted 54% of the time, while Brown converted 62% of the time. And that was with Cal's clogged floors. LSU's were more open. Simmons had an unreal 77% free throw rate (ft/fg), but Brown was impressive in his own right at 58%. For reference, Justise Winslow had a 44% free throw rate. 

All while Cal playing at a paltry rating of 68 for pace, while LSU had 73. This shows that Simmons had more open court opportunities than Brown did.

Brown actually "projects" to be a better driver at the NBA level than Simmons.

Combine that with comfort and a developing consistency from the outside, and Brown might be a better scorer than Simmons at the NBA level.

It's not like Brown is a slouch at passing either (2 apg). Simmons is clearly superior in that regard, but Brown is not going to be a score-only guy. He has high IQ and good court vision. With an open court and better teammate shooting, it's not hard to "project" Brown as a good passer on the wing.

There is also reason to believe he "projects" to be a solid defender immediately. He had a 3.3 DBPM and also one of the highest defensive ratings on his team, meaning his team was significantly better defensively with him on the court. This shows that he knows how to help his team play good defense, and if you combine that with his elite athleticism, he "projects" to be a solid defender immediately.

Driving. Passing. Defense. He projects to do all at least above average level immediately in the NBA.

Mic Drop

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 09:54:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A well argued case, DWC.

Im still skeptical. I'm not even trying to say I don't think he'll be good at things in the NBA eventually, just that I'm not confident predicting what he'll do well right out of the gate aside from dunking in transition.

The driving / finishing numbers you cite are encouraging, but what I've seen in videos doesn't make me think he'll be better as a rookie than, say, Justise Winslow was. I think he's gonna have to add some moves and guile to his game. But if his intelligence translates into good feel and instincts on the floor, I have confidence that he can develop those aspects of his game eventually.

Im just not getting my hopes up that he'll have a clear role next year. That's okay. He's a long term pick. But we should judge his rookie season accordingly.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 10:03:02 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
A well argued case, DWC.

Im still skeptical. I'm not even trying to say I don't think he'll be good at things in the NBA eventually, just that I'm not confident predicting what he'll do well right out of the gate aside from dunking in transition.

The driving / finishing numbers you cite are encouraging, but what I've seen in videos doesn't make me think he'll be better as a rookie than, say, Justise Winslow was. I think he's gonna have to add some moves and guile to his game. But if his intelligence translates into good feel and instincts on the floor, I have confidence that he can develop those aspects of his game eventually.

Im just not getting my hopes up that he'll have a clear role next year. That's okay. He's a long term pick. But we should judge his rookie season accordingly.

Thanks man.

He is a long term pick. I agree that we should expect something close to Winslow's rookie season, although I wonder if Brown's free throw rate and outside shooting (particularly the fact that he has better arc than Winslow) will translate a little quicker.

I think there is an outside shot he has a really good season and finishes second to Simmons in the ROY award. Crowder will both slow and expedite his development. Brown won't get as many on-court reps, but he will be able to watch Crowder and learn from him.

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2016, 10:31:45 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

That's optimistic to the point of deceptive: 2.0 assist to 3.1 TOs. That's bad. Turnover and foul trouble - which Brown also has -  tend to follow guys into the league too and are far more predictive than say Points Per Game.

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 10:38:17 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20

'

But the point is is he is very different than a guy like Gerald Green who was a dunk machine but not ready mentally.

People passed on Michael Jordan because he "couldn't  shoot" too and look how that turned out.

I liked Bender this draft for the same reasons.  I think he is very young but has good upside. I think he has length but not the athleticism Brown has though. Bender is somewhat more limited in that regard.  Both still good prospects though. I think both Phoenix and us did good.  We did better I feel.

One person passed on Jordan.  Akeem was clearly the number one pick and one of the top 20 players ever.

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 10:44:33 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
A well argued case, DWC.

I think he may be slighter better offensively year one that Winslow but won't be as good defensively.  I think his floor is lower and ceiling is hard to predict.  Based on what I saw in college I was really into trading up to get Winslow but feel that Brown at 3 is too high.

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 10:51:48 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
https://youtu.be/vKarP6FDS4c

His intelligence and work ethic combined with the opportunity as a pro to critique himself all day and study the playbook and improve geometrically all leads me to suspect he'll succeed in fixing most of his flaws pretty quickly. And if that's the case, then he would already be our #2 option on offense, maybe? Does he instantly become our best LeBron defender, too, maybe? So, maybe he starts at SF? (Crowder shifts to mostly PF, an already pro-ready Bentil backing him up, with Amir-Olynyk-Mickey at C?) In the event he graduates early to the starting lineup and becomes our #2 or #3 option right away, he'd probably be scoring way more efficiently than Simmons, on a playoff team versus a lottery team, on a top defensive team versus a bottom of the barrel defense.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 11:02:20 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

He has the worst assist to To Ratio in the top 25.

68 assists to 105 turn overs. And that Ft% is pretty bad at .654% especially for a wing that gets to the line so after.

If he can get that up to .750% or better that will be a huge plus.