Author Topic: What are the flaws on Brown really?  (Read 15433 times)

What are the flaws on Brown really?
« on: June 26, 2016, 07:13:06 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Except that he just has to develop? Intelligent kid.  Not arrogant.  Shot well in his workout. His shot is not broken.  It just has to develop.   People see these things as a negative.   People say he can't handle the ball.  Yes he can I've seen him do it.  He can shoot too. He can also jump out of the gym and make tough shots and practices them. He's closer to a guy like Kobe than anything else. I don't know if he has that upside but he really is.

He's 19 years old. The things people are knocking him on are very different than other players who have real flaws in their game.

Re: What are the flaws on Brown really?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 07:14:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He doesn't project to do anything at an NBA level when he enters the league other than finishing in transition.

He may be able to do other things, but there's no way of saying for sure what those things are.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 07:15:49 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Pierce was another guy who could handle the ball but would get out of control early in his career and cough it up sometimes.  He's closer to guys like that than anything.  I love when people underrate players like this.  Paul George was another one. So was Kawii.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 07:16:49 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
He doesn't project to do anything at an NBA level when he enters the league other than finishing in transition.

He may be able to do other things, but there's no way of saying for sure what those things are.
'

But the point is is he is very different than a guy like Gerald Green who was a dunk machine but not ready mentally.

People passed on Michael Jordan because he "couldn't  shoot" too and look how that turned out.

I liked Bender this draft for the same reasons.  I think he is very young but has good upside. I think he has length but not the athleticism Brown has though. Bender is somewhat more limited in that regard.  Both still good prospects though. I think both Phoenix and us did good.  We did better I feel.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I don't think Brown is in that class of guys like Kobe, or Jordan or Pierce or George.  But he's a step below.  He's right there with the Kawii's of the world and could do better than that imo.

He's not MKG or anything like that I know that much. Bender isn't Darko either. Bender has higher bust potential and could end up something else though mainly because of his body.  Bender is fluid as an athlete unlike Darko.  He is skinny though, not that great of an athlete as far as a leaper, and might struggle because of it plus his skillset has a ways to go too.

Bender has more a chance of ending up a 7 foot adam morrison than he does Darko.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 07:31:58 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 07:31:35 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Defense, finishing in transition, offensive rebounding, three point shooting....

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 07:31:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jump shot - It is a push off release vs up release. It's not textbook.  He can't shoot the ball at the highest peak (combining his explosive leap).   In consistent at the moment.  He may never be an amazing jump shooter like Wiggins. But as long as he can make the open jump shots from all over the court he will be fine.  Strangely from 15-17 ft, when he has to shoot off balance he usually makes than not

Assist to turnover ratio - it was 1 to 2.  Not great.  I will reserve my judgement on this issue once he gets to play with better players. A pg with skills

Tunnel vision -  He may at times go 1 on 3.  Half the time he is still making the shot or get to the foul line. But a smart defensive team can get him for charge calls, just block his lane and make him shoot tough shots.   

Feel for game - With tunnel vision issue ,  his feel for game is not considered great.  I mean Brown can pass. But he tries to make difficult passes and/or not make the easy pass when its right there in front of his face. Especially going 1 against 3, someone is bound to be open.   At the NBA level hopefully this improves or lucky for him teams are not going to have 3 guys on him . Not right away anyways.  So Brown can have more open space to do his thing

these are the main issues with Brown. Otherwise everything else is at a high level. Defense is amazing. Transition basketball amazing. There is a clip of Brown needing only 4 dribbles to get from one end to the other. That is incredible if you only had 3 seconds to work with.    He is crafty enough one on one, changes speed well and can blow by you at any moment.  Even if you prepare that he will go right, he is just so quick, unless you have wicked lateral movement you can't beat him to the spot.   His vertical leap and hang time is something of a beauty

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 07:34:54 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Jump shot - It is a push off release vs up release. It's not textbook.  He can't shoot the ball at the highest peak (combining his explosive leap).   In consistent at the moment.  He may never be an amazing jump shooter like Wiggins. But as long as he can make the open jump shots from all over the court he will be fine.  Strangely from 15-17 ft, when he has to shoot off balance he usually makes than not

Assist to turnover ratio - it was 1 to 2.  Not great.  I will reserve my judgement on this issue once he gets to play with better players. A pg with skills

Tunnel vision -  He may at times go 1 on 3.  Half the time he is still making the shot or get to the foul line. But a smart defensive team can get him for charge calls, just block his lane and make him shoot tough shots.   

Feel for game - With tunnel vision issue ,  his feel for game is not considered great.  I mean Brown can pass. But he tries to make difficult passes and/or not make the easy pass when its right there in front of his face. Especially going 1 against 3, someone is bound to be open.   At the NBA level hopefully this improves or lucky for him teams are not going to have 3 guys on him . Not right away anyways.  So Brown can have more open space to do his thing

these are the main issues with Brown. Otherwise everything else is at a high level. Defense is amazing. Transition basketball amazing. There is a clip of Brown needing only 4 dribbles to get from one end to the other. That is incredible if you only had 3 seconds to work with.    He is crafty enough one on one, changes speed well and can blow by you at any moment.  Even if you prepare that he will go right, he is just so quick, unless you have wicked lateral movement you can't beat him to the spot.   His vertical leap and hang time is something of a beauty

I agree with that.  He's somewhat predictable.  He's crafty though.  He's more explosive than he is fluid like kobe bryant.

He's explosive and can shoot  though and is crafty as well. Plus his defense is good because he is a great athlete and plays with good energy and is crafty as well. Probably in that order right now.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 07:37:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brown in some ways reminds me of Andrew Wiggins.  Wiggins feel for game is just ok.  Difference between Wiggins and Bronw is, Wiggins has that nice jump shot he can utilize at any point and Brown has the slashing he can resort to

Both Brown and Wiggins are "weapons"  than franchise capable carrying players.   Like a very nice #2 on your team.  But under immense pressure or if you expect them to dig your team out of a hole, they may run into a wall instead.   

Simmons is like this also.  Two guys in the draft that can take you out holes possibly is Ingram and Dunn. 

unfortunately Ingram was gone at #2 and Dunn didn't accommodate the Celtics request to come in for workouts. We are also very deep at the guard position. 

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 07:37:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Defense, finishing in transition, offensive rebounding, three point shooting....

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

What did he do in college to show he has NBA level skills in those areas? It's all a question mark.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 07:46:43 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Kris Dunn to me was the most fluid explosive ball handler in the draft right now not named Simmons.  But Brown is probably second to that with more explosiveness. Brown has some flaws where he coughs the ball up right now.  I think even over Ingram.  Ingram is primarily a scorer right now and very skinny.  Better scorer. He isn't a guy who can take the ball in transition and really attack the defense that way though.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 07:49:26 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
The biggest issue with Brown is that he hasn't played a single NBA game yet.

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 07:49:26 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
Kris Dunn to me was the most fluid explosive ball handler in the draft right now not named Simmons.  But Brown is probably second to that with more explosiveness. I think even over Ingram.  Ingram is primarily a scorer right now and very skinny.  Better scorer. He isn't a guy who can take the ball in transition and really attack the defense that way though.

I just wonder if Kris Dunn has a lower ceiling being a senior. people forget that Brown wont be where Dunn is now for another 3-4 years

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 07:50:28 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Kris Dunn to me was the most fluid explosive ball handler in the draft right now not named Simmons.  But Brown is probably second to that with more explosiveness. I think even over Ingram.  Ingram is primarily a scorer right now and very skinny.  Better scorer. He isn't a guy who can take the ball in transition and really attack the defense that way though.

I just wonder if Kris Dunn has a lower ceiling being a senior. people forget that Brown wont be where Dunn is now for another 3-4 years

Son, you play 82 games in an NBA season.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 07:51:11 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Kris Dunn's shot has more issues than Brown long term. So does Simmons.  They are going to be more set shooters like Magic was.  Or even Jason Kidd.  Brown has much less issues with his shot. He may never be a great shooter but he isn't MKG where his shot is broken. He'll probably be a fairly decent one.  Could be good if he really works at it over time.

Brown coughs it up a bit because he's not a ball handler or passer like those guys.

He's a crafty player though like Smart is.  He's not the scorer Ingram is.  But is crafty how he gets his points.  Plus just with his explosion he's much more explosive than Smart.

Smart has some moments but Brown is even more that.