Author Topic: Available trades  (Read 3669 times)

Re: Available trades
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 08:19:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Is Ainge afraid to make a deal? That might be the big ?

For goodness sakes, outside of Bradley Crowder and IT the rest of the Players are all JAG's.

He wasn't afraid to deal KG, Pierce, or Rondo, so I doubt that that's the case
People forget that when we traded for Ray Allen, we were in communication with Garnett's people.   We knew exactly what it was going to take to get Garnett to agree to a trade to Boston. 

Sure, if we heard directly from Durant that he'd come to the team if we landed Butler - perhaps we would have paid the fool's ransom of Crowder + Bradley + Smart + #3 + #16.  But since we can't legally meet with Durant until Friday, far better we wait before doing anything potentially franchise-destroying like that garbage Butler deal.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 08:21:34 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Durant is plan A.
Cousins is plan B.

The Kings will certainly be listening to offers for Cousins at the next deadline and draft.

Patience my fellow green thugs.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 08:27:01 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Bringing up Durant just makes me want to tune out of this conversation. The Celts needed to land a legit second banana prior to the free agency period to have a real pitch to make there.

Look, I appreciate the story you're spinning here, but I'm tired of hearing about how many trade assets the Celts have. We've been hearing it for years. So far, Ainge hasn't seemed to really get any major traction trying to make a trade for the kind of player that changes the game here.

Cosign.

Assets aren't assets if they can't be converted into improvement on the floor.

Talk is cheap.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 08:32:24 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Bringing up Durant just makes me want to tune out of this conversation. The Celts needed to land a legit second banana prior to the free agency period to have a real pitch to make there.

Look, I appreciate the story you're spinning here, but I'm tired of hearing about how many trade assets the Celts have. We've been hearing it for years. So far, Ainge hasn't seemed to really get any major traction trying to make a trade for the kind of player that changes the game here.

Cosign.

Talk is cheap.

Yeah but following the FA news tidbits around and trying to make sense of possible trade rumors is entertaining for us junkies. Nothing else to do in the offseason. How many days till summer league? What day does training camp start?
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 08:32:53 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Cosign.

Talk is cheap.

What player can they get without overpaying?

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 08:35:49 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Here's a thought: It's OK for the other team to benefit if you can pick up a player that helps your club.

Ainge doesn't understand that.

Among other things.

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 08:36:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If you were Durant would you rather go here, Golden State or San Antonio?   Face it, both those other teams have a better shot at the title with him than we do.   Even Oklahoma State has a better chance I think.

I am hoping but we are not his best chance to win a title.

I think many here over value our assets, I think Ainge does as well.    We learned post  draft that there were some reasonable deals out there but Ainge won't do one unless he wins the deal.  I love Ainge but the army of misfit toys is not as valuable as some think and the picks lost value once we did not get 1 or 2.   There is always next draft though.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 08:38:21 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
If you were Durant would you rather go here, Golden State or San Antonio?   Face it, both those other teams have a better shot at the title with him than we do.   Even Oklahoma State has a better chance I think.

I think many here over value our assets, I think Ainge does as well.    We learned post  draft that there were some reasonable deals out there but Ainge won't do one unless he wins the deal.  I love Ainge but the army of misfit toys is not as valuable as some think and the picks lost value once we did not get 1 or 2.   There is always next draft though.

There are several teams with a better story to tell Durant than we have.

And you get a TP for the second paragraph. Could not agree more.

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 08:41:44 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

The problem with the Warriors and Spurs are fit, the fact they'll have to adjust their playstyle and how it will affect Durant's legacy. The Celtics can offer Durant  a chance to be the best player on the team while adding more players without sacrificing their core. And the 3rd is very valuable why  was philly so determined to get it if it wasn't?

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 08:42:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
If you were Durant would you rather go here, Golden State or San Antonio?
Boston.

Going to Golden State makes Steph Curry my daddy and makes my biggest employer, Nike, angry with me.  It also makes me look like a coward to millions of fans.

Going to the Spurs, I get to play with Kawhi (who plays my position), but everyone else there is older than me.  Popavich is almost 70 years old.

Going to Boston, I get to pick who I want to join me, immediate contend with a stellar supporting cast who is continuing to improve, and have plenty of ammo to add to this roster in the short and long term.

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2016, 08:49:12 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Boston.

Going to Golden State makes Steph Curry my daddy and makes my biggest employer, Nike, angry with me.  It also makes me look like a coward to millions of fans.

Going to the Spurs, I get to play with Kawhi (who plays my position), but everyone else there is older than me.  Popavich is almost 70 years old.

Going to Boston, I get to pick who I want to join me, immediate contend with a stellar supporting cast who is continuing to improve, and have plenty of ammo to add to this roster in the short and long term.
That why he will stay in OKC one more year. Boston has little chance.

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 08:50:55 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
I expect him to resign in OKC for longer than a year, in the wake of the Orlando trade that really improves their club.

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 08:51:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Boston.

That why he will stay in OKC one more year. Boston has little chance.
If I am KD, I leave OKC, because I'm tired of carrying those losers and playing in front of a bunch of hillbillies. 

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Sure, in a vacuum they have outright more talented teams, but fortunately context is important in reality.

First, Durant highly risks his reputation and legacy as a top player in this league by going to Golden State. The narrative will be that the lesser players joined up to beat Lebron, which actually in a sense would be true. There's also the question of fit. If he doesn't like having to share the ball with a guy with horrible shot selection in Westbrook, then he's going to be twice as bad with two guys with questionable shot selection and high usages in Curry and Thompson. There simply just won't be enough shots to go around for all those three, let alone Green, who has already in the past complained of his role in the offense. Going to Golden State is far from a slam dunk, and I highly doubt he ends up going there to play second or even third fiddle behind the Splash Bros.

Now San Antonio is a little better fit for him, but it's no slam dunk either. First, they'd have to lose at least one if not more of Green, Diaw, and Parker to fit him in, along with probably renouncing the majority of their free agents. That's a big hit. Second, it's not a perfect fit with him, Leonard, and Aldridge. That would essentially force Leonard to play the two full-time, which isn't ideal. Third, they're also in the more difficult Western Conference. Instead of just having to deal with Cleveland to get to the NBA Finals, they'll have to deal with both Golden State AND LAC, in addition to any other Western teams that might make the jump this offseason, e.g. Houston, Portland, etc.

Thus, no, it's not necessarily true that they have a better shot at the title than us. For example, if Durant and Horford would come here and we'd make a trade for someone like Noel, I think we have the better shot at a title than either San Antonio or Golden State. Let's also not forget that we've played Golden State the best of any team in the regular season the last two seasons, and this past season it took Aldridge going Superman in the final minutes of the game for them to beat us both games.

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 09:17:14 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I expect him to resign in OKC for longer than a year, in the wake of the Orlando trade that really improves their club.

He may decide to stay there long term (and has said that wherever he signs this year will be where he stays for his career), but he'll only sign a one year (or 1+1) deal this summer.  He stands to make way more money by signing long term next year instead of this year (since the cap kicks up and he will be a 10 year vet, which adds another 5% or so of the cap to his salary)
I'm bitter.