Author Topic: Available trades  (Read 3675 times)

Available trades
« on: June 26, 2016, 06:57:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I really don't think you can underestimate the kind of trade ammunition this team has.   We have several picks, prospects and players that have trade value.

Prospects like Smart and Brown obviously have trade value.  Even guys like Rozier, Hunter, MIckey and Young (still only 20 years old btw) have some value as throw-ins. 

Jae Crowder is a prototypical player for the NBA.  He might never be a star, but his per-36 numbers of 16, 6, 2 with solid shooting percentages as well as great intangibles, leadership qualities, size, defensive intensity, and bargain contract make him a key piece any team would want in a trade.

Avery Bradley was just named All-Defense 1st team.  He averaged 15 points with pretty excellent shooting percentages (45%/36%/78%).   He's a legitimate asset.  We've already heard that several teams, such as the Cavs, have interest in him.

Then we still have both Brooklyn picks, several other future 1st rounders, and a whole range of secondary assets (our draft-and-stash rookies and 2nd rounders, solid role players like Kelly Olynyk, Amir and Jerebko, etc) to include in a deal.

There's no way we don't have options.  Maybe the price for Butler is ridiculous, but I imagine there are other players who can be grabbed.  A vet like Marc Gasol?  One of the Bucks small forwards like Middleton or parker?   Is Cousins someone we could actually build a compelling package for?  What about Blake Griffin?  Kevin Love has to be available.  I have to assume Gallinari can be had.   Clearly someone like Ricky Rubio could be taken if we want another point guard.  I'm sure we could have grabbed Jeff Teague or Thad Young if it was part of our plan.  I imagine we can grab one of the Philly bigs.

There's no way we don't have options.  I can basically guarantee you Boston can pull the trigger on something right now that could move the needle slightly, but so much depends on our options in free agency.  We don't want to go all-in on a center if our best free agent option is a center, for instance. 

But as I've been saying for a while now, it makes ZERO sense for us to do anything until we have an honest conversation with Durant and get a sense of who he wants to play with.  Maybe he hates Cousins.  Maybe he really really wants to play with some surprise talent like Brook Lopez or Eric Bledsoe.   In our pitch, we need to try to get on the same page with KD, lay out our options, hear from him what he wants, and see if it's something we can do.   And of course, if Durant is just taking this meeting as a formality and has no intention of coming to Boston, it's best we find that out before making sweeping changes.

So make your bests guesses.   What are some trades you'd guess are available to us when we are ready.   What kind of options do you think we'll show Durant when we meet with him?   

Re: Available trades
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 07:01:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah that trade ammunition was so potent last week.

Im done hearing about these assets.

Teams only want the Brooklyn picks. Period. The rest of the assets are weaker picks and nice players on bargain contracts. But those players are, to a man, worth more to the Celts than they are to other teams.  That means it'll be very hard to trade for them, because Ainge does not trade guys for less than he thinks they're worth.

The Celts have been smart not to include those BRK picks in deals without expecting compromises elsewhere, which trade partners to this point have not been willing to make.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 07:07:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Teams only want the Brooklyn picks. Period. The rest of the assets are weaker picks and nice players on bargain contracts. But those players are, to a man, worth more to the Celts than they are to other teams.  That means it'll be very hard to trade for them, because Ainge does not trade guys for less than he thinks they're worth.

And the Celts have been smart not to include those picks in deals without expecting compromises elsewhere, which trade partners to this point have not been willing to make.
Pho,

Saying "yeah our ammunition was so potent last week" completely ignores what I'm saying.   I'm sure if we wanted to grab Teague or Thad, we could have.  It didn't make any sense to do that. 

Why trade half the roster for Butler if we don't need to.   I mean, I'd at least like to have a quick call to DeMar Derozan's people to see if he's 100% against leaving Toronto before I go and pay a fool's ransom to Chicago.   

Answer me this... why does anyone think Boston knows what Durant wants?   I know there were rumors that Boston had heard from Durant's people who he wants to play with.  That's tampering.  I dont' buy that at all.   What if in our meeting with Durant, he tells us that he really likes the idea of playing with Harrison Barnes?    Well then we'd offer Barnes a max deal... and we'd be looking to use our assets to trade for a Center.   We'd be glad at that point we didn't waste our assets on trading for another guard/forward.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

The Celts have been smart not to include those BRK picks in deals without expecting compromises elsewhere, which trade partners to this point have not been willing to make.

Seriously.  When's the last time a late lottery pick was traded for an all star? Or a post-lottery pick traded for a solid starter on a good contract? That kind of thing never happens, so the non-Brooklyn picks are totally worthless.  And a guy like Jae Crowder? Give me a break, no team would want him as part of a package for a multiple-time all star
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 07:09:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Bringing up Durant just makes me want to tune out of this conversation. The Celts needed to land a legit second banana prior to the free agency period to have a real pitch to make there.

Look, I appreciate the story you're spinning here, but I'm tired of hearing about how many trade assets the Celts have. We've been hearing it for years. So far, Ainge hasn't seemed to really get any major traction trying to make a trade for the kind of player that changes the game here.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 07:14:01 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/747197674609319936

FYI, Cavs GM just said they intend on keeping this group together.

Of course, I think everyone knows that's really just coach talk, and Love could easily be had for the right price. However, with them winning the title now, the "right price" is probably significantly more than it would've been if they lost.

Still, with his contract and how they misuse him, it's obvious that he's more of a net negative for them than a positive. Really the only thing to keep him for is to let him take a lot of the scoring and other responsibilities during the season so Lebron can save himself for the playoffs.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 07:20:20 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
Bringing up Durant just makes me want to tune out of this conversation. The Celts needed to land a legit second banana prior to the free agency period to have a real pitch to make there.

Look, I appreciate the story you're spinning here, but I'm tired of hearing about how many trade assets the Celts have. We've been hearing it for years. So far, Ainge hasn't seemed to really get any major traction trying to make a trade for the kind of player that changes the game here.

I could understand that argument if we got outbid on a transcendent player, but so far the closest thing we've seen to a transcendent player getting moved is Kevin Love, and the Cavs were torn to shreds on that deal (not to mention that the value of the picks wasn't readily apparent at that time)

Unless we see someone like Boogie getting moved for a price that many people here think we could have outbid, it's hard to say that our assets aren't valuable.  The lack of a move doesn't necessarily mean that we weren't able to
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 07:28:35 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
yeah,  none of that is backed up from any of the writers or reporters.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Is Ainge afraid to make a deal? That might be the big ?

For goodness sakes, outside of Bradley Crowder and IT the rest of the Players are all JAG's.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 07:35:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I could understand that argument if we got outbid on a transcendent player, but so far the closest thing we've seen to a transcendent player getting moved is Kevin Love, and the Cavs were torn to shreds on that deal (not to mention that the value of the picks wasn't readily apparent at that time)

Unless we see someone like Boogie getting moved for a price that many people here think we could have outbid, it's hard to say that our assets aren't valuable.  The lack of a move doesn't necessarily mean that we weren't able to

It's true that we haven't seen a genuine bidding war open up for any major players yet.

Still, the proof is in the pudding for me, and I'm just skeptical at this point when I've been hearing about the Celts amazing pile of assets and how fireworks are possible and nothing has really happened. We've been hearing about it for a couple years now. None of the credible rumors I've read make it sound like other teams are looking to the Celts first when they consider moving their main pieces for rebuilding assets.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 07:47:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

It's true that we haven't seen a genuine bidding war open up for any major players yet.

Still, the proof is in the pudding for me, and I'm just skeptical at this point when I've been hearing about the Celts amazing pile of assets and how fireworks are possible and nothing has really happened. We've been hearing about it for a couple years now. None of the credible rumors I've read make it sound like other teams are looking to the Celts first when they consider moving their main pieces for rebuilding assets.
We have a meeting with Durant in less than a week.  That's your puddin.

Just became some beat writers leaked out details of some prospective trades does not mean they are the only trades we've discussed making.  The assumption that we as fans know everything Ainge is talking about seems kinda silly.  The only stories that get leaked are the ones teams want to get leaked.

I'm pretty confident we have options.  I still don't think it made any sense for us to do anything substantial unless it was a no-brainer move.  Far better we wait until after talking with Durant. 

The idea that Boston "needs" a 2nd banana to lure Durant is false.  We wouldn't be one of the 6 teams he's meeting with if it was true.

I feel like this "Nothing has happened yet = Ainge failed" is as ridiculous as saying "we haven't signed Durant yet ... so clearly we can't sign Durant".  We aren't there yet.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 08:02:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Chicken or egg

It's best to see if Durrant would commit first.  The number of players and choices would increase ten fold if they realized he signing here.

A lot of players will wait to see what KD does.

If Durrant says he is comming to Boston......all of a sudden LOtS of FA who would not be interest become interested.    Like anyone really think KLOVE would want to be in Cleveland had not LeBron came back.

So......if Durrant commits ......suddenly talking another good player into signing becomes much easier to imagine..

We ll. see how good of salesman Danny is soon......LOL

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 08:02:49 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

Just became some beat writers leaked out details of some prospective trades does not mean they are the only trades we've discussed making.  The assumption that we as fans know everything Ainge is talking about seems kinda silly.  The only stories that get leaked are the ones teams want to get leaked.

I'm pretty confident we have options.  I still don't think it made any sense for us to do anything substantial unless it was a no-brainer move.  Far better we wait until after talking with Durant. 

The idea that Boston "needs" a 2nd banana to lure Durant is false.  We wouldn't be one of the 6 teams he's meeting with if it was true.

I feel like this "Nothing has happened yet = Ainge failed" is as ridiculous as saying "we haven't signed Durant yet ... so clearly we can't sign Durant".  We aren't there yet.

I know one thing for sure. If I am Danny Ainge and I am talking to memphis about swapping picks, I ask how Marc Gasol is doing and what it would take to consider  moving him. Due diligence for certain. Besides, if they lose Conley, to FA then they may just cash in chips for a rebuild with some of our pieces.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 08:14:32 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
Is Ainge afraid to make a deal? That might be the big ?

For goodness sakes, outside of Bradley Crowder and IT the rest of the Players are all JAG's.

He wasn't afraid to deal KG, Pierce, or Rondo, so I doubt that that's the case
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 08:16:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I know one thing for sure. If I am Danny Ainge and I am talking to memphis about swapping picks, I ask how Marc Gasol is doing and what it would take to consider  moving him. Due diligence for certain. Besides, if they lose Conley, to FA then they may just cash in chips for a rebuild with some of our pieces.
You touch on another key thing.  There will be lots of dominos to fall depending on how the free agent market shakes out.

As SHAQATTACK says, it might be a bit of a chicken/egg thing, but if Durant decides he's interesting in Golden State, what does that mean about the Clippers and their situation?  That could make Blake more available.  If Durant decides he's interested in Boston, does Cousins finally demand a trade?  If Durant tells us he wants Al Horford, does Paul Millisap become a trade target?  If Mike Conley signs elsewhere, does Marc Gasol become super available? 

There's so much stuff that has yet to be determined.  I'm sure if Boston could have grabbed an upgrade at a no-brainer price, we would have.  But it sounds like teams incorrectly measured our position as "desperate" and tried to hold our heads over a toilet.   They assumed because we had too many picks and a "desperate" need to sign a second banana, they could ask for our entire roster in a trade. 

Welp, Ainge went out of the draft without losing any major asset and only  has 1 of the rookies he needs to give a guaranteed contract to.  He consolidated two of the picks for a future 1st.  He used two of his other 1sts for "draft and stashes", and the 2nd rounders will not impact our salary cap holds - we can bring them on board when the dust settles. 

We maintained our double-max cap space and whattayaknow... we're one of the 6 teams Durant is taking a meeting with despite the concept that we "needed" to land another all-star.   Guess that wasn't true.