Author Topic: Who is expecting a leap from Marcus Smart in year 3?  (Read 17114 times)

Re: Who is expecting a leap from Marcus Smart in year 3?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 07:15:27 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
We should hope so.
He certainly started aggressively driving more and trying to get to the line and we should at least see his TS% improve if he can continue an upward trend there.

But yeah, we really need him to shoot at 33% from 3 and 43%+ from the field this season- for our on court sake and for his value as a trade asset.

43% FG% is simply not realistic.  If Marcus shoots 33% from 3 next year and half his volume comes from the 3 point line he will have to shoot 53% on his 2 point shots to achieve a FG% of 43%. 

Lillard 45.1% on 2 pt. FGA
Wall    44.8% "               "
Smart 42.7% "               "

Only the absolute best of all the guys that are asked to create offense shoot over 50% on their 2 pt. FGA's.  Curry 56.8, Dragic 52.7%, Westbrook 50.3%, Irving 50.2%, Paul 50.2% and Parker 50.1% are the only guys that create offense that can achieve those numbers.  If Marcus is not asked to create and used off ball his numbers would naturally increase. 

Realistic target numbers for Smart should be something like 33% 3pt. and 39% FG% and those would be fine if you are getting half your shot volume behind the 3pt. line and are being asked to create offense some.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 07:17:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
For Smart to ever realize his potential he's gonna have to stop taking half his shots from deep. Can't keep doing that as a barely break even three point shooter.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 07:23:36 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
For Smart to ever realize his potential he's gonna have to stop taking half his shots from deep. Can't keep doing that as a barely break even three point shooter.

yep.

the good thing, though, is that he's been getting better at getting to the rim and not taking as many threes.

rookie year, 57% of his attempts were from 3, and just 17% were from 0-3 feet
sophomore year, 45% of his attempts were from 3, and 29% of his attempts were from 0-3 feet.

its still way too many 3's (he takes 4 a game lol) but hopefully he uses that body to get to the rim more. I think he can. If turner is gone smart will hopefully be the primary ball handler for the second unit, so he wont be used purely as a catch and shoot guy.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 07:27:01 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Not I. I think Smart has serious limitations both as a shooter and as a floor general. He does by make decisions quickly enough. I don't think that will change. His athleticism and defensive skills can keep him on the floor on this team, but not on a championship team. My expectation is that he will become a backup primarily used to defend the other team's best back court player.

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 07:32:19 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
he has the body type to take contact and finish, so I think its important that he focus on getting to the rim more.

D.wade never was a good shooter, but lives at the rim. Marcus smart too often seems to live at the perimeter lofting up low percentage 3 pointers.

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 07:35:25 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I expect him to improve with whoever we trade him to....

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I think improvement comes this year. Part of me hopes we don't sign ET so that smart can handle the ball full time off the bench. He's not a spot up shooter and to ask him to be one is underutilizing him.
- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 07:51:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He always looks super in summer school.

Problem being he gets himself injured too often .  Two steps forward then one back.  AB did this too for several years.   The fingers last year had to set him back a lot.

He needs to learn how to control his energy ,  like AB has .......and protect his body without being a sissy like KO.

Smart is a special talent .  Nobody on the court is tuffer than Smart .  Crowder is close ...LOL

Smart is just plain old school 80 's tuff .   I love his heart , could care less about his points .  He just needs to keep attacking the basket dragging skinny weaker players on his back .

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 07:53:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He always looks super in summer school.

Problem being he gets himself injured too often .  Two steps forward then one back.  AB did this too for several years.   The fingers last year had to set him back a lot.

He needs to learn how to control his energy ,  like AB has .......and protect his body without being a sissy like KO.

Smart is a special talent .  Nobody on the court is tuffer than Smart .  Crowder is close ...LOL

Smart is just plain old school 80 's tuff .   I love his heart , could care less about his points .  He just needs to keep attacking the basket dragging skinny weaker players on his back .
Are you talking about his performance in Summer league?  He was bad in summer league.

I don't buy the injury thing either.  He's just not good offensively ... yet.

Hopefully he makes a leap next year.

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 07:54:30 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I think it was Jackie Mac who said that Marcus does something in every game, that makes you say "Wow"

I really expect him and K.O. to make a jump this next season-!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2016, 08:08:32 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
I think it was Jackie Mac who said that Marcus does something in every game, that makes you say "Wow"

I really expect him and K.O. to make a jump this next season-!
What people just don't seem to see is that Smart and Olynyk when punched into the right line up would be perfect role players.  If the C's had a starting line up of say I.T., Smart, Durant, K.O., Horford next year both of them should be very good in their roles.  Right now they are being asked to do things that are not their best usage because the Celtics severely lack scoring options.  Smart as a 5th option on offense only shooting wide open 3's and taking easy buckets would be perfect for him. 

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 08:11:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I expect Smart to take a step. I expect Rozier to take a bigger one and to take a LOT of Smart's minutes.

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 08:17:47 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
More mid range jumpers and floaters. He's WAY more consistent when he decides to not live in 3 point land in most of his FG attempts. Floater game looked real nice when he decided to add it in his arsenal. I definitely see him polishing that up for next season.

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 08:22:38 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I expect Smart to take a step. I expect Rozier to take a bigger one and to take a LOT of Smart's minutes.

This is very possible if Marcus doesn't up his ballhandling significantly. 
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hope both of them get better.  Jackson may light that fire.