Author Topic: did ainge get fed up with skinny projects  (Read 1947 times)

did ainge get fed up with skinny projects
« on: June 26, 2016, 03:58:56 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
his experience with young and hunter may have taught him a valuable lesson-

Re: did ainge get fed up with skinny projects
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 04:02:39 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
lol I was telling myself a joke about that when I saw his selection this year.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 04:06:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

And Olynyk. He did emphasize in the press conference that these are all grown men who are ready to contribute physically. He was very proud about that.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 04:09:10 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

And Olynyk. He did emphasize in the press conference that these are all grown men who are ready to contribute physically. He was very proud about that.

Probably why we didn't take Bender.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 06:23:57 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I started a thread a while back that we were too small and too weak, especially for the playoffs.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:20:30 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Despite Brown's build, no one is a 'grown man' in any sense, at 19.  Besides, I'm more concerned about what's going on upstairs with any potential draftee.  Physical gifts or lack thereof are important, yes, but they're not everything. 

In regards to the thread, rollie, I sincerely hope that Ainge has finally learned to stay away from those who don't possess the necessary work ethic to succeed in the NBA, like Fab Melo and James Young.  That's much more important to me regardless of how skinny a guy is.  Of course, I also wish that he'd stop taking guys with weight problems, but I digress ;D.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 12:32:26 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think it's more about the motor and less about size.

The guys that haven't panned out for Danny have had questionable motors and that's a major red flag with anyone who is paid to play competitive sports for a living. All of our draft selections this year seem to be high motor, high energy players known for their work ethic. Maybe I'm rationalizing but I'm like Danny's picks more with time.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 12:47:51 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Rollie, honestly, did you forget about sully already?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 12:56:33 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

Despite Brown's build, no one is a 'grown man' in any sense, at 19.  Besides, I'm more concerned about what's going on upstairs with any potential draftee.  Physical gifts or lack thereof are important, yes, but they're not everything. 

In regards to the thread, rollie, I sincerely hope that Ainge has finally learned to stay away from those who don't possess the necessary work ethic to succeed in the NBA, like Fab Melo and James Young.  That's much more important to me regardless of how skinny a guy is.  Of course, I also wish that he'd stop taking guys with weight problems, but I digress ;D.

Seems many of us are still stuck on James Young's rookie year work ethic. He packed on muscle and gained a couple inches on his vertical leap going into his second year. Also, his defensive intensity and rebounding efforts vastly improved. I'm not saying he's good defensive player or rebounder. Just that one could tell he put in a lot of effort to improve. His role on the team is a complete mystery to me. Why Brad has him hanging out at the 3 point line 90% of the time is baffling. He's seldom setting picks or being set up for 15 foot jumpers. I'm not high on him. However, I do think he's making strides to be a better basketball player.

In a way Ainge is still sticking to players who won't commit the necessary work to succeed in the NBA when he selects players with weight issues. On the other hand he is picking bulkier players. Which is great! I happened to be in Vegas last year and saw the rookies up close. I couldn't believe how physically slight they looked. I'm sure they will have bulked up some over the summer.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 01:16:47 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Probably why we didn't take Bender.

My brother linked me to a document a couple of days ago which confirmed exactly that.

Apparently Danny went overseas to see Zizic and Bender play.  Came away impressed by Zizic, not so impressed by Bender. 

Feedback from what I saw was taht Bender was too thin, and didn't have the body to handle the NBA game - and they didn't know if he had the type of frame to support more weight.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 02:55:32 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Seems many of us are still stuck on James Young's rookie year work ethic. He packed on muscle and gained a couple inches on his vertical leap going into his second year. Also, his defensive intensity and rebounding efforts vastly improved. I'm not saying he's good defensive player or rebounder. Just that one could tell he put in a lot of effort to improve. His role on the team is a complete mystery to me. Why Brad has him hanging out at the 3 point line 90% of the time is baffling. He's seldom setting picks or being set up for 15 foot jumpers. I'm not high on him. However, I do think he's making strides to be a better basketball player.

In a way Ainge is still sticking to players who won't commit the necessary work to succeed in the NBA when he selects players with weight issues. On the other hand he is picking bulkier players. Which is great! I happened to be in Vegas last year and saw the rookies up close. I couldn't believe how physically slight they looked. I'm sure they will have bulked up some over the summer.

Putting the words 'James Young' in the same sentence with 'defensive intensity' and 'effort' of any kind = mind blown, lol ;D. Didn't you see him in the summer league, last year?  He didn't even look like an NBA player.  He just doesn't put forth the necessary effort on and off the court to succeed, and why his option was picked up for this upcoming season is beyond me.  Aside from that one game against Charlotte during his rookie year, he has done absolutely nothing to warrant keeping him in any capacity.  He never hustles or even tries to run back on defense which evoked a 'sigh' and an 'ugh' from Tommy.  Idk why I ever liked and rooted for him, to be perfectly honest, and after I subsequently found out that he wasn't a hard worker, I can only say that had I known that at the time, I never would have wanted him in the first place.  Ugh.  It's been two years and he still can't even dribble - not even with his left hand :o. Like I said in another thread, I don't care where the summer league is this year - Vegas, Orlando, Siberia, etc. - just leave him there, lol ;D. What a complete waste of time.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 03:22:13 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 I hope he's done with Skinny weaklings.

Smart is a gigantic guard in terms of bulk.
 This year Brown is a very strong player although not jacked yet, still 222 pounds and people bounce off him.

The French Freak is 275 pounds and looks like a 6'8" Shaq/Anthony Mason Hybrid.

Zizic is 6'11" 250 pounds and 20 years old. Not jacked but is huge, physical, and strong.

Jackson is Jacked for a point guard, bigger than Rozier muscle wise.

And Bentil is pretty jacked at 6'8" 235 pounds, great Body on that kid at 20 years old.

So yes, It looks like he's drafting muscle right now.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 03:51:44 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
massimino said i had to run around the shower to get wet,mickeymouse, boneyard-a guy found me on facebook after 50yrs and used the term calorically challenged but also stuck in, i sharpened my elbows before practice and a few years back i called massimino after 50yrs and he went oh yeh the skinny kid that was all over the court-
there was an era when basketball players were thinner and they had the speed and endurance but not these days
we couldn't even lift free weights back then and machines didn't exist-
massimino had us doing iso metrics very progressive
-the skinny guys that stood out were maravich,reggie lewis,russell ,satch sanders,lew alcinder(kareem),prince and livingston and danny ainge, when he hit a screen it was forget about it-i hope rj does well this year
getting over the top is an art form in itself

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 04:01:05 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I hope he's done with Skinny weaklings.

Smart is a gigantic guard in terms of bulk.
 This year Brown is a very strong player although not jacked yet, still 222 pounds and people bounce off him.

The French Freak is 275 pounds and looks like a 6'8" Shaq/Anthony Mason Hybrid.

Zizic is 6'11" 250 pounds and 20 years old. Not jacked but is huge, physical, and strong.

Jackson is Jacked for a point guard, bigger than Rozier muscle wise.

And Bentil is pretty jacked at 6'8" 235 pounds, great Body on that kid at 20 years old.

So yes, It looks like he's drafting muscle right now.

The so called "french freak" actually reminds me a lot of Rodney Rogers back in his playing days.

Similar physique and reminds me of him a lot in terms of his play style too, as I remember Rogers being fairly athletic for his size and also being a pretty good outside shooter.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 04:12:07 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 04:04:02 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Tp Crimson, Forgot about Rodney. And he was pretty athletic even in his later years when he came to the Celtics. Rogers must have been about 270 pounds with the Celtics and still could jump. Best comparison yet.