Author Topic: If Boston didn't take Brown where do you think he would have gone?  (Read 29037 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It seemed like Brown was being projected in most mocks in the 7 or 8 range.  If Boston didn't take him at 3, would he have fallen to the Kings spot at 8. 

I was just wondering if Boston could have done the trade with the Sixers and then used 16 and some combination of 23, 24, 26 to move up to 8 to get Brown.  Imagine how much better the draft looks if Boston comes away with Brown and Noel and Covington and maybe a draft and stash guy. 

And yes I know that is a big what if, but just throwing it out there.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: If Boston didn't take Brown where do you think he would have gone?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Yeah, big if, but it certainly does seem like something like that could have happened. Some even had him dropping to 9. Here's what I remember from the mock drafts-

Phoenix - set on either Bender or Chriss, no chance at Brown

Minnesota - really, really wanted Dunn, and I think Hield would have been the pick if Dunn was gone

New Orleans - whatever guard was left

Denver - wanted Bender, ended up taking Murray after he fell a bit

Sacramento - really wanted Hield, ended up with Chriss for the trade

So, yeah, I think there would have been a good chance that he fell that far, but they were understandably not willing to take that risk. At the very least, they could've worked out a deal with Minny and picked up extra assets while still getting their guy. There's absolutely no excuse for not doing that. Minny wanted Dunn BAD, and we could pressured them into giving up some assets to get him. Even without the trade itself, I think it was a failure on our part not to move up with Sacramento.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 02:47:53 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
We will never know.  He was projected in the 3-5 range before and during most of the season.  The mock analysts pushed him down to 7-8 late in the process, meanwhile he was impressing in his workouts.  If you think he's the best player, you don't take the risk of moving down a few spots for value.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 02:51:31 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
An interesting hypothetical for sure, but I think you have to be careful not to put too much stock into the mocks.

Based on what went down, Id imagine Danny really really like Brown and wasnt willing to risk losing him.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 02:55:49 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If we'd taken Bender I think the Suns take Brown. If we'd taken Dunn I think the Suns are 50/50 between him and Bender, if they chose Bender then he probably goes at 7 to Denver

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It's hard to know. Mock drafts are often inaccurate, and all GMs say they laugh at the mocks from so-called experts, they each have their own, independent draft boards. That's why guys like Daytona Davis fall out of the lottery and into the 2nd round with no injury issues or personal issues.

It would be nice to get more assets, but it wasn't such a simple issue for us I think. We couldn't handle getting more picks in this draft, which is likely what most teams would offer, we were already looking to move some of them as is. We also didn't want to lose our ability to sign two max free agents unless it meant trading for a star, and I highly doubt any team was willing to trade up to #3 by giving us a star in the deal.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 03:00:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
9 = Toronto

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 03:06:42 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
This isn't the NFL where you trade back to accumulate more assets. The odds of finding good NBA xaliberplayers later in the draft is very small. If you like a guy, take him. Also, how many more picks do the Celtics need? They had 8 in this draft and found it difficult to trade etc.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 03:37:50 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I think he probably would have gone to Denver.  I feel like after the top 2 it was more about fit than anything else.  Brown could have been passed over only because teams needed/wanted a ball handling guard more.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 03:38:04 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
With how interchangeable the top 8 were, it's hard to tell.  Who had Bender going 4th and Chriss dropping all the way to the Kings? Hield before Murray was another one I didn't expect.

It was too tightly packed to really say who was gonna go where. I guess Danny didn't want to take the risk that Brown would be gone and took him where he could. For all we know, he had Intel that said the Suns were gonna take Brown at 4
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 03:40:36 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
acquiring a 1 year rental was not worth possibly losing the player you really wanted at 3..

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 03:41:10 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
He could have gone 4, he could have gone 8.
Do you want to trade with 5 (IF minny is ok to trade) and risk to end up with a player you didn't plan to take?

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 03:41:22 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I was just wondering if Boston could have done the trade with the Sixers and then used 16 and some combination of 23, 24, 26 to move up to 8 to get Brown.  Imagine how much better the draft looks if Boston comes away with Brown and Noel and Covington and maybe a draft and stash guy. 

I just don't think that deal would happen.

This seems very similar (but worse) than the deal Danny offered Charlotte last year.

What do we believe last years offer was? #16, #28, unprotected 2016 Brooklyn pick, and either 2016 Dallas/Boston first, plus a couple of 2nds?  That couldn't get us #9 last year, and that Brooklyn pick had real potential.

I think this year, nobody in that 7-9 range would be interested in moving back 7-9 spots to gain 3 picks in the mid-20's.  I really think to do that we'd have to include the rights to that 2017 Brooklyn pick swap, which would seem like a real waste and pretty inefficient when we could just draft Brown ourselves and probably trade the 2017 pick for Noel.

Where does Brown go is interesting.  I could see Phoenix taking him at 4, there were multiple reports of the Suns liking Brown (see here and here), or all the way to #8.  Once one domino falls differently who knows how the rest fall.  If Boston/Philly take Dunn at #3, who does Minny draft (if Phoenix still takes Bender)?  Jamal Murray?  So now who does Denver draft at #7 if New Orleans still drafts Hield?  Anywhere #4-#8 wouldn't surprise me really, though Minny at #5 would probably surprise me the most.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 04:57:00 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 03:43:14 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Besides, Danny knows McDonough and I'm pretty sure he knows the type of guy he would select.
High risk to trade down.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 03:45:34 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Besides, Danny knows McDonough and I'm pretty sure he knows the type of guy he would select.
High risk to trade down.

I suspect agents give GM's insight that we will never have.