Author Topic: If Boston didn't take Brown where do you think he would have gone?  (Read 29044 times)

Re: If Boston didn't take Brown where do you think he would have gone?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 03:56:45 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Brown or Bender was what I wanted at 3. So phx 4. They offered size, athleticism and a good amount of skill for their age. I was all for keeping 16 and 23. Especially since Lab and Ellenson were there at 16. I just wish DA took one of those two and got Yab at 31.

Brown, Lab, Zizic, Yab would have been A++.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 04:11:01 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
There are a lot of variables in play, most importantly, who we picked instead. I think he would have been great for Phoenix, and provided they could have gotten Chriss at #8, I think there's a strong chance he would've gone #4.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 04:29:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Everything I read leading up to the draft was that picks 3-8 were interchangeable.  There was no consensus.  That's why it didn't make sense that we'd be able to trade down.  Unless it's a desperate position need, all the picks were basically equal value.   

So he would have gone somewhere in the 4-8 range if we didn't take him at 3.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 04:30:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think, given how atrocious the various public mocks did this year of predicting how the players would be selected, that trying to guess how exactly a trade-down scenario might have played out seems like a complete guessing game.

Seriously, from pick #10 on, a full 51 of the 60 picks, pretty much went completely different from any mocks predicted.

It's pretty clear that the GMs operate with not only a different set of information but also a different set of requirements than most of the public and media have available.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 03:54:21 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think, given how atrocious the various public mocks did this year of predicting how the players would be selected, that trying to guess how exactly a trade-down scenario might have played out seems like a complete guessing game.

Seriously, from pick #10 on, a full 51 of the 60 picks, pretty much went completely different from any mocks predicted.

It's pretty clear that the GMs operate with not only a different set of information but also a different set of requirements than most of the public and media have available.

Yeah, I feel like is draft was a weird sort of mixed blessing for the draftnik sites.

On one hand, they came away looking like their information about who teams would value and how the draft would unfold was severely off after the top eight picks.  It's like, why have I been checking draftexpress constantly the last few months, Givony? Why do I think you know any better than some random dude on RealGM?

On the other hand, chaos in the draft only increases the desire of fans to read up on every single prospect in the draft, in order to be the guy who actually knows who the heck the Guerschon Yabuseles of the world are and why their favorite team would be drafting them.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 11:14:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I was just wondering if Boston could have done the trade with the Sixers and then used 16 and some combination of 23, 24, 26 to move up to 8 to get Brown.  Imagine how much better the draft looks if Boston comes away with Brown and Noel and Covington and maybe a draft and stash guy. 

I just don't think that deal would happen.

This seems very similar (but worse) than the deal Danny offered Charlotte last year.

What do we believe last years offer was? #16, #28, unprotected 2016 Brooklyn pick, and either 2016 Dallas/Boston first, plus a couple of 2nds?  That couldn't get us #9 last year, and that Brooklyn pick had real potential.

I think this year, nobody in that 7-9 range would be interested in moving back 7-9 spots to gain 3 picks in the mid-20's.  I really think to do that we'd have to include the rights to that 2017 Brooklyn pick swap, which would seem like a real waste and pretty inefficient when we could just draft Brown ourselves and probably trade the 2017 pick for Noel.

Where does Brown go is interesting.  I could see Phoenix taking him at 4, there were multiple reports of the Suns liking Brown (see here and here), or all the way to #8.  Once one domino falls differently who knows how the rest fall.  If Boston/Philly take Dunn at #3, who does Minny draft (if Phoenix still takes Bender)?  Jamal Murray?  So now who does Denver draft at #7 if New Orleans still drafts Hield?  Anywhere #4-#8 wouldn't surprise me really, though Minny at #5 would probably surprise me the most.
The Kings actually traded 8 for 13, 28, Bogdan Bogdanovic, and 2020 2nd round pick.  Obviously 13 is better than 16, but 23, 24, and 26 are all better than 28.  The real question is what is the value of Bogdanovic who was a late 2014 draft and stash player.  So if you assume Bogdanovic is worth a late 1st, it would seem that offering 16, 23, 24, and 26 would be a better offer than what the Kings got and I suspect Papagiannis would have still been there at 16 (you never know of course, but that is the guy the Kings wanted). 

Now obviously you have no idea where Brown goes, but based on what I picked up on the new order would have been something like this: Dunn goes 3, I believe Bender still goes 4, Hield and Murray go 5 and 6 (based on fit and need, not sure the actual order), which leads to Denver at 7.  They were linked with Chriss a lot before the draft, but likely never thought Murray would have been there.  Denver though makes sense for Bender.  So Denver at 7 is where Brown might have gone, but I think that is the only question.  So if Denver goes for the big in Chriss, Brown is still there at 8 for Sacto.  Now maybe Sacto really liked Brown and wasn't willing to trade the pick or maybe they still would move it and maybe Boston is the team with the best offer on the table.

So Boston might have come away with Brown, Noel, and Covington (and still had the 2nd rounders for draft and stash or to add players).  Heck maybe Yabusele or Zicic drops to the 2nd round in this new draft world order.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 02:56:29 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 03:04:40 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Probably anywhere from 8-14. He was a lottery pick but his ceiling is very high and his floor is that of Kedrick Brown. So who knows..

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 03:14:10 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
He would have gone undrafted.  This is a guy with 0 skills and even less upside.  My grandmother is more athletic than him.  Just another overreach and total draft failure by Ainge
I'm bitter.

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 03:15:57 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
It's hard to know. Mock drafts are often inaccurate, and all GMs say they laugh at the mocks from so-called experts, they each have their own, independent draft boards. That's why guys like Daytona Davis fall out of the lottery and into the 2nd round with no injury issues or personal issues.

It would be nice to get more assets, but it wasn't such a simple issue for us I think. We couldn't handle getting more picks in this draft, which is likely what most teams would offer, we were already looking to move some of them as is. We also didn't want to lose our ability to sign two max free agents unless it meant trading for a star, and I highly doubt any team was willing to trade up to #3 by giving us a star in the deal.
good points on mocks and GMS. it is the mocks that try/attempt/hope to match the GMs, not the GMs trying to follow the mocks. if the mocks and GMs diverge, it is the mocks fault.

that ainge picked brown at #3 and some mocks disagreed, well, ainge knows more and has a good draft history.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2016, 03:19:20 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
there is 0 evidence or reason to believe this guy would have possibly gotten past pick #8. To say anything else is total revisionist history.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 03:50:09 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Well, I'm glad he didn't make it past 3!   ;D
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 04:03:13 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
4th or 5th. There is no credible evidence to suggest he would have fallen to 8th or worse. That's just someone posting out of their ass because they're still butthurt that we didn't trade for Okafor or Butler on draft night. Last year so many people said we reached on TRoz only to find out later that there were a fair number of credible comments that suggested he wouldn't have lasted much longer in the draft. We're now hearing whispers about Yab to the same effect. So many people were angry on those draft nights yet now they're on the bandwagon. Eventually some folks will learn to not overreact every time they don't understand a transaction.

Anyway, where he went is to Boston and I'm excited to have him.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 04:17:10 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
People get angry over drafting Porzingis and now they all worship him.
What a disgrace, fans should be ashamed to complain when they obvisouly have so little knowledge.
They don't support or trust their GM whatsoever.
Shame (Cersei)  :P

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2016, 04:50:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Seemed most fans were unhappy that we didn't make a trade not that we took Brown (although a good number of us had Dunn ahead of Brown). I have justified the pick just fine in my head.

I don't think Brown goes past 5, though. Hield and Murray were decent selections, but didn't provide the upside that Brown did. To think he falls past Chriss (or worse) is ludicrous.