Author Topic: What do you semi realistically hope for and expect from Jaylen?  (Read 5104 times)

Re: What do you semi realistically hope for and expect from Jaylen?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 02:06:55 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I hope to see him contribute right away as a flexible defender off the bench, backing up the wing positions.  Any offense from him is a bonus to me, though it would be nice to see him moving without the ball, back door cuts for example.  I think he could play 10-20 minutes off the bench right off the bat, especially as a pesky wing defender.

I want to see him put in some work most of all.  I've read a lot about his work ethic and that will win over Boston fans.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 02:20:33 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
At least Wilson Chandler type or Jeff Green with better footwork.

Rotation player at the least.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I don't see the Jeff Green comparison at all.  Green is a skilled player, his problem is he is too passive.  Brown is an aggressive player.  For Brown, it's a matter of developing skills and learning the nuances.  I think his floor is a lesser version of Iguodala and his ceiling is an all star who can defend, drive with authority, and shoot.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 02:39:08 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 02:51:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Decent starter based on positional versatility on defense, spot up shooting, finishing ability in the open court, and 1-on-1 scoring against smaller bench players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 03:02:29 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I am hoping he eventually becomes a plus defender who is a better offensive weapon than Crowder.  He doesn't need to come in and start right away.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 03:03:12 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Summer League MVP

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 03:14:36 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Story term, the C's can baby him along and work on his weaknesses in the same way they've done with Smart. Bring him off the bench, let him defend since he seems capable of it already, and bring along his offense slowly.

Long term, this guy has the tools to develop into a Perennial all star type player. The C's seem to get the best out of their players and have had great success developing younger players in the past few years (Bradley, Olynyk, Turner, Crowder). I trust in CBS to do the same here as well.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 03:21:39 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Summer League MVP

That would be ideal. However, I doubt Summer League will make him look good unless he's on the floor with teammates willing to share the ball. Very often players try to showcase their on shooting abilities. Thus, it's probable he'll play like he did in college doing things like driving with his head down, barreling through people and taking forced shots. It might be best for him to hold back and just try to make his teammates better. 

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 03:35:01 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
"semi realistically hope for and expect..."
Sounds like writing with gloves.
What are you afraid of?
Any draft guy from 1 to 60 can become an allstar.
Any draft guy from 1 to 60 can be out after a year.

So, I always hope and expect the best for each rookie we have.
It's very exciting to see their progression.
Of course you have to be aware of the worse income as well.
But I don't get the "I don't want to get my hope to high and be disappointed".
Why the disapointment? I don't get it. I'm never disapointed, except maybe Sully, because I have the feeling he could have been much better if he had listen to Danny.

As for Jaylen, I expect him being a wade/lebron type of next generation beast. A franchise player. I keep in mind he might end up worse than Tyreke evans.

Very excited to see him in summer league. Can't wait.

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 03:35:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Long Term = A 17ppg scorer with average scoring efficiency and a streaky jump shot. An above average defender and rebounder. Average passer. If he can develop his jump-shot, a 22pg scorer with above average scoring efficiency while playing above average defense and rebounding. Average passer.

Short Term = a bench player. Mostly ineffective at times. Flashes of more.

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2016, 03:40:25 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
as a rookie better defence than winslow because he is surrounded by marcus,avery,rozier and chrowder
  brad will put him in position to produce-brown is special in transition and the celts push the pace as well as spread the court-
jackson plays pesky defence and has active hands,i think he will be better getting over top of screens than rozier
rozier has bursts but jackson uses change of pace and quick
going to make for a serious competition at summer league-

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 03:45:10 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Long Road - his floor will be Crowder - his Ceiling K. Leonard..

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 03:47:08 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Short term, a guy who can guard anyone on the opposing team save for 5's and who can get to the basket like LeBron and step in for Crowder when needed.  Long term, a max player. 

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 03:51:19 PM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
I think jeff green is a very good comparison as a player type.
Hopefully with more drive, energy and force though.

I missed Greens highlight dunks this season, those could really get the crowd going.

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 03:53:13 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm looking at the rookie seasons of Kawhi, Iguodala, Justice Winslow, and Stanley Johnson. Of the 4, Iguodala averaged the most points (9 per game) and Winslow averaged the least (6.4). Stanley and Kawhi both averaged about 8 ppg which I think is a reasonable projection for Jaylen. Both of those guys played around 24 mpg which I think is also likely how much we'll see Jaylen this season.

How he develops from there will be determined by his work ethic (which I'm hearing lots of good things about) and Brad Stevens' ability to coach him/their relationship. So I'm hopeful he can be Kawhi but we have to keep in mind that it took Kawhi 5 seasons to average 20 ppg. So let's give this kid the time to develop he deserves.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008