Author Topic: What do you semi realistically hope for and expect from Jaylen?  (Read 5128 times)

Re: What do you semi realistically hope for and expect from Jaylen?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2016, 04:33:51 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Iggy is a good one, but I think he can be a franchise player in all honesty. Thats the expectation set by the front office and we should expect that from this player. If he isn't an all star, then people should hold it against Ainge and criticize him. The next three drafts will be big ones. If Ainge does a bad job drafting, he should and probably will be fired.

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2016, 04:35:07 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'm looking at the rookie seasons of Kawhi, Iguodala, Justice Winslow, and Stanley Johnson. Of the 4, Iguodala averaged the most points (9 per game) and Winslow averaged the least (6.4). Stanley and Kawhi both averaged about 8 ppg which I think is a reasonable projection for Jaylen. Both of those guys played around 24 mpg which I think is also likely how much we'll see Jaylen this season.

How he develops from there will be determined by his work ethic (which I'm hearing lots of good things about) and Brad Stevens' ability to coach him/their relationship. So I'm hopeful he can be Kawhi but we have to keep in mind that it took Kawhi 5 seasons to average 20 ppg. So let's give this kid the time to develop he deserves.

Those are all good physical comps.  I'd add Jae Crowder to the list of players who all fit in that same body-type profile.   All are right around 6' 6" - 6' 7" tall, close to a 7 foot wingspan and very muscular.  Jae has the shortest wingspan, but is possibly the strongest of that bunch.  Brown is taller & longer than all but Kawhi, but is probably the fastest and most athletic.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
I hope for Kawhi Leonard.

My fear is Jeff Green or Nick Young or MKG.

My realistic expectation is maybe Gallinari. Maybe 75% of Kawhi or 105% of Wesley Matthews

Can I just ask you something, where in his game do you see Nick Young or Jeff Green? His floor comp should probably be like a bigger Tony Allen maybe since idk, they have similar strengths and weaknesses.

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2016, 04:41:55 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
Decent starter based on positional versatility on defense, spot up shooting, finishing ability in the open court, and 1-on-1 scoring against smaller bench players.

I remember that this was the one guy you didn't want us to draft and that kind of scares me to be honest. I really think he will reach his ceiling, but listening to all the analysts, it seems like he won't.

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

My realistic expectation is maybe Gallinari. Maybe 75% of Kawhi or 105% of Wesley Matthews

Can I just ask you something, where in his game do you see Nick Young or Jeff Green? His floor comp should probably be like a bigger Tony Allen maybe since idk, they have similar strengths and weaknesses.
Bill Simmons actually said he saw a lot of Jeff Green and he watched him way closer than me. Nick Young is I think maybe another very athletic guy that kinda just can't put it together. I'm hopeful he'll be way better than that as I hear Jaylen is very intelligent. Nick young is my floor. I expect better of him than that.

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 04:47:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Premium brand jimmy butler.

So, Super Premium Ricky Davis?

Ricky Davis on the left.   Jimmy Butler on the right:

And now... introducing Jaylen Brown:

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2016, 04:48:04 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Bill Simmons actually said he saw a lot of Jeff Green and he watched him way closer than me. Nick Young is I think maybe another very athletic guy that kinda just can't put it together. I'm hopeful he'll be way better than that as I hear Jaylen is very intelligent. Nick young is my floor. I expect better of him than that.

If he becomes Nick Young or Jeff Green then they should have taken any offer from Philly.

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2016, 04:53:38 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

First, I think everyone on this board knows Bill Simmons isn't a good basketball analyst. He's more of a entertainer, so I take his opinion with a grain of salt. By the way, he was the same guy who wanted the Celtics to offer Josh Smith the max on one of his podcasts.

Jeff Green literally had no heart. Also, he was a better shooter than Brown. I think people on this thread do not realize how quick Brown is which was the first thing I noticed watching him. I really think that is the most important thing, because a lot of players have good vert. You should listen to Adam Kauffman's interviews with the front office. The co-owner said his speed reminds him of Monta Ellis.

Nick Young is not close to the athlete Jaylen Brown is. Jaylen Brown attacks the rim and is not a shooter. Nick Young came into the league and basically would only shoot the ball, so I really don't see the comp at all.

I think a more athletic Marcus Smart would be a good comp as well.

I'm not trying to attack you at all, I hope he is good too and there is a pretty good chance Brown never reaches his potential. However, his upside is very great and I'm happy to finally have a player on the roster who actually has the upside to be a franchise player. Finally the Celtics have a player we can all root for and hope he becomes a stud.

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2016, 04:54:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Decent starter based on positional versatility on defense, spot up shooting, finishing ability in the open court, and 1-on-1 scoring against smaller bench players.

I remember that this was the one guy you didn't want us to draft and that kind of scares me to be honest. I really think he will reach his ceiling, but listening to all the analysts, it seems like he won't.

I've gone back and forth on Brown.

Not surprised Ainge drafted him. When I was looking at this draft class back in the fall I remember thinking brown was a classic Ainge pick.

The upside is obvious with Jaylen. He could turn into a star.

Im just not confident projecting guys that can't shoot, run the point, or protect the basket. What is his role at the next level apart from trying hard on defense and dunking in transition? Reminds me too much of Marcus Smart for comfort.

I wanted Ainge to make an upside pick at three. My preference was Bender, or failing that, Dunn, to use as a trade chip or just build for the future. But I'm glad the pick was Brown rather than a one dimensional shooter like Murray or Hield, or a total reach like Chriss.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2016, 04:54:47 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I don't think of him as a SF (yet), I think of him as a top  5, top 10 pick, but never really considered a real contender to be drafted #1.  What kind of success can I hope for from somebody like this?

I hope for the success of Dwyane Wade, Steph Curry, Russell Westbrook, James Harden.  Perennial All-Star, All-NBA player. and MVP candidate.  A #1 option you can build a team around.

I'm happy with the success of a Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, Al Horford, Joakim Noah, Deron Williams, etc.  Occasional All-Star or All-NBA or All-Defensive player, but not a real MVP candidate.  Can be a #2-#3 option on a good team, can maybe get you into the bottom of the playoffs as a #1.

I'm not upset with the success of Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng, Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, Jason Richardson, Chris Kaman, Greg Monroe, etc.  Fringe All-Star for a few years, never All-NBA, maybe makes one or two All-Defensive teams though.  Solid starter on any team.  Can be a #2 on middle of the pack playoff team, but better suited as any option other than #1-2.  Can also be a super-sub, SMOY candidate on a good team.

I'm disappointed with the success of Evan Turner,  Tyrus Thomas, Michael Beasley, Dion Waiters, etc.  Everybody saw the potential, and they showed a few flashes of brilliance to give you hope, but ends up bouncing around the league.  Not a starter on most teams, and definitely not for the team that drafted them.  Your only hope is Ainge can still get some value from them when he ships them out of town while still on their rookie deal.

I demand new management with the success of Adam Morrison, Joe Alexander, Hasheem Thabeet, Anthony Bennett, Darko Milicic, etc.  No words can explain the disdain you feel for this pick.  Adding salt to the wound, the guy you hoped your team would draft was still on the board and is having a great career while the guy your team picked is already out of the league.

I just hope to be at least happy when all is said and done and not disappointed or worse.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 04:56:05 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

Man, I'm holding out hope he's better than Butler. Don't see the comp because his first step is insane. I think when we watch the summer league, you will know what I mean. He has point guard speed in a small forward's body.

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 04:57:44 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think he is his own player. Comparisons are bad that way because everyone is different.  His real strength is attacking the basket and in transition.  I think he is a slightly bigger jason richardson though which is Kawii Leonard as far as his measurables.  Without the injuries Richardson suffered.  That's a 20 ppg scorer with 5 or 6 boards and 2 or 3 assists and good defense.

He attacks the basket though like Hayward or even Westbrook.  I don't think he is the ball hog westbrook is though trying to stuff the stat sheet.

If you really watch him he actually has a good feel for the game and does smart things vs Westbrook who just continually stuffs the stat sheet at the detriment of those around him.

I don't know if I "expect" that from him though.  Or even hope for that.  He is still a young kid and can reach that level realistically.

He's an allstar capable talent.  Franchise player maybe.

I think he's a similar level talent to Okafor but does it at both ends. He's not as limited as Okafor.  He's a legit SF. Okafor as a center I'm not so sure about.  He'd make a great PF though if he set his mind to certain things.

I think if you cross Richardson+Hayward+Kawii+Westbrook that's a pretty good player in this league.  He doesn't have the skillset of some of those guys yet though. He isn't Kedrick Brown either but I guess you could put him in that if they melded and average it out you'd have Jaylen in that regard.

Take Kedrick brown+jason richardson+kawii+Westbrook+hayward then divide by 5.  That's what jaylen is.

About 20 ppg, 5 or 6 boards and 2 or 3 assists plus good defense.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:18:13 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2016, 04:59:26 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

I've gone back and forth on Brown.

Not surprised Ainge drafted him. When I was looking at this draft class back in the fall I remember thinking brown was a classic Ainge pick.

The upside is obvious with Jaylen. He could turn into a star.

Im just not confident projecting guys that can't shoot, run the point, or protect the basket. What is his role at the next level apart from trying hard on defense and dunking in transition? Reminds me too much of Marcus Smart for comfort.

I wanted Ainge to make an upside pick at three. My preference was Bender, or failing that, Dunn, to use as a trade chip or just build for the future. But I'm glad the pick was Brown rather than a one dimensional shooter like Murray or Hield, or a total reach like Chriss.

To add onto your concern, I think Smart was an NBA ready defender when he came into the league. Brown wasn't really a great defender in college. He has the potential to be, but I think people will be disappointed in his Defensive Awareness.

Yeah Dunn was the most valuable asset from what we've read so far. I've wanted Jaylen Brown all along, but I definitely see everyone's concern and now I'm second guessing myself as well.

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2016, 05:01:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Man, I'm holding out hope he's better than Butler. Don't see the comp because his first step is insane. I think when we watch the summer league, you will know what I mean. He has point guard speed in a small forward's body.
Well we have 6 years to find out.    Butler was terrible as a Freshman.  He spent two more seasons in College.  He was terrible as an NBA rookie.   It wasn't until his 4th season in the NBA (6 years older than Jaylen Brown) that he started playing like the Jimmy Butler everyone is overrating.

Which makes it all the more impressive that Jaylen Brown apparently played Butler 1-on-1 and beat him a couple times.   The kid could end up really good some day.

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2016, 05:08:22 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

Well we have 6 years to find out.    Butler was terrible as a Freshman.  He spent two more seasons in College.  He was terrible as an NBA rookie.   It wasn't until his 4th season in the NBA (6 years older than Jaylen Brown) that he started playing like the Jimmy Butler everyone is overrating.

Which makes it all the more impressive that Jaylen Brown apparently played Butler 1-on-1 and beat him a couple times.   The kid could end up really good some day.

Let's hope so. He has to shoot above 40% his rookie year in my eyes. I cannot go through what we went through Smart again. Butler was older his rookie year, but he shot just barley above 40% at least.