Author Topic: RIDDLE me this  (Read 2095 times)

RIDDLE me this
« on: June 26, 2016, 12:49:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I have read in many places that Bentil and Demetrius are both first round picks that fell to us in the second round. I find this confounding because it just cannot be true, can it?

Does this mean they are better than all the picks that were made by other teams that allowed them to fall to the second round? If they were not, then why are we lucky we got them. If they are what does that say about all the teams that did not pick them?

I am confused.

Re: RIDDLE me this
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:54:17 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
It was a deep draft class, so someone was going to slide. I do think Jackson could and probably should have been a 1st round pick, as the combo of extreme athleticism + good shooting + no debilitating weaknesses is always nice. Bentil I'm much less excited about, as he doesn't have great tools and his skills aren't great either. It's a stretch to say that he is a first round talent, but he was picked in the 50's so whatever.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 12:57:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I have read in many places that Bentil and Demetrius are both first round picks that fell to us in the second round. I find this confounding because it just cannot be true, can it?

Does this mean they are better than all the picks that were made by other teams that allowed them to fall to the second round? If they were not, then why are we lucky we got them. If they are what does that say about all the teams that did not pick them?

I am confused.
It's possible. We are totally overdue for our own Chandler Parsons or DeAndre Jordan

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:06:49 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I think most years both guys would be first rounders.  You can make a strong argument that Jackson is better than Terry Rozier was last year.

And Bentil was the best scorer on Khris Dunn's Providence team.  Odds are if you saw a drive and kick highlight of Dunn, Bentil was on the receiving end of a pass splashing a three. 

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 09:33:28 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Usually there is a reason..... See Salinger (although in his case the reason was much more obvious)

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 09:42:38 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Something like 7 first round euros drafts, pushed those guys in to the second. They were mid to late first round picks, so sliding to the second was going to happen. Gary Payton III was projected as an early 2nd round pick and didn't get drafted at all.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 09:56:40 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It was a draft deep in potential role players with a lot of guys who could have gone anywhere between 15 and 50.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 10:12:07 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Something like 7 first round euros drafts, pushed those guys in to the second. They were mid to late first round picks, so sliding to the second was going to happen. Gary Payton III was projected as an early 2nd round pick and didn't get drafted at all.

The Gary Payton  II is kinda like a mystery to me too.. The kid is explosive.. Maybe age played a part, I don't know..  His Highlight reel definitely looks like a Fully developed Grown man dunking on under developed 18 yr old..
Houston might have gotten a steal..