Poll

What did Ainge need to hit in the draft and did he?

He needed to hit a home run. He totally did.
4 (57.1%)
He needed to hit a home run and he didn't. He got close though.
0 (0%)
He needed a home run and got a hit but that's about it.
1 (14.3%)
He needed a home run and struck out.
0 (0%)
He needed an extra base hit and got it.
1 (14.3%)
He needed an extra base hit and got a single
0 (0%)
He needed an extra base hit and struck out.
0 (0%)
He just needed to get a hit or get on base. He totally did that.
0 (0%)
He needed a hit, and he managed to advance the runner, but didn't get a hit.
1 (14.3%)
He needed a hit and struck out.
0 (0%)
He just needed to not hit into a double play and did that.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: What did Ainge need to hit in the draft and did he?  (Read 4080 times)

Re: What did Ainge need to hit in the draft and did he?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 01:26:01 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
One thing about this draft is I hope Ainge is really really really sure that Jaylen will be very very good, because as of now I'm in the Simmons camp of "Why didn't he just trade down and get more assets and still get Jaylen or a comparable player?"

If Jaylen turns out to be the 6th best player in this draft, unless this draft is really really really good generating debate as to the best players, then this draft is a total loss.

If he just gets kinda Batum type player, but there are 4 all stars ahead of him this draft is a total loss.

What if trading down would have eliminated our cap ability to sign two max free agents? If the option was to trade down for more picks, we had more than enough picks already in this draft.
Two words....Euro...stash.  It's not just for the Spurs and other great teams.

First round draft picks that get stashed still count against the cap until the start of the year, regardless of their contract status overseas
I'm bitter.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 01:28:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
One thing about this draft is I hope Ainge is really really really sure that Jaylen will be very very good, because as of now I'm in the Simmons camp of "Why didn't he just trade down and get more assets and still get Jaylen or a comparable player?"

If Jaylen turns out to be the 6th best player in this draft, unless this draft is really really really good generating debate as to the best players, then this draft is a total loss.

If he just gets kinda Batum type player, but there are 4 all stars ahead of him this draft is a total loss.

What if trading down would have eliminated our cap ability to sign two max free agents? If the option was to trade down for more picks, we had more than enough picks already in this draft.

First round draft picks that get stashed still count against the cap until the start of the year, regardless of their contract status overseas
Then trade em for heavily protected picks or 2nd rounders.  Or don't take em. Take 2nd rounders. Or take cash. Or their Euro stashes. Saric.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 01:31:10 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
He needed to go 1 for 6. I'm not betting against him considering the quality of this class.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 01:31:27 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Then trade em for heavily protected picks or 2nd rounders.  Or don't take em. Take 2nd rounders. Or take cash. Or their Euro stashes. Saric.

So, trade down for more assets, then trade those for even worse assets?  We need top-end talent, not a bunch more second rounders.

Getting a guy like Saric would be nice, but no one was gonna trade a guy like that for something like the #24 and #26 picks in this draft
I'm bitter.

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 01:35:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

So, trade down for more assets, then trade those for even worse assets?  We need top-end talent, not a bunch more second rounders.

Getting a guy like Saric would be nice, but no one was gonna trade a guy like that for something like the #24 and #26 picks in this draft
Let me be slightly more clear. To me Jaylen or Smart for Noel and or Okafor to me is a win right there. If they want to add on assets take em.

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 01:45:09 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Let me be slightly more clear. To me Jaylen or Smart for Noel and or Okafor to me is a win right there. If they want to add on assets take em.

I disagree that they would be an upgrade, but I can see where you're coming from.  I think Danny was looking for more in return, but only future assets (like the Lakers pick or Saric), while Philly was only willing to give up assets in this draft (like the 24 and 26).  Neither team was willing to budge.

I don't think it's over, though.  If (when?) the sixers are unable to get a good guard in FA, I think they'll come back with an offer like Okafor or Noel for Smart.  We'll see what Danny does if (when?) that happens
I'm bitter.

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 02:32:51 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I like our first 3 picks.  Not whom I woulda picked but I'll take them and think they fill needs.  A wing, center, stretch the floor pf.  I think the trade rumor buzz killed the positivity of the picks.  I still think Danny is a horrible drafter though.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 02:39:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is too early to tell yet, we can hope so.

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 02:54:01 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
He needed to get the highest upside with a reasonable percentage of reaching that upside. With Brown he certainly got that. Similarly with Yabusele and Zizic. He got great value with Jackson and Bentil.

So yeah I'd say he did well. Also glad he didn't jump into the trades as they seemed to be too much.